By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PSVita: Remote Play, Current state and the Future.

Tagged games:

PSVita ?

As long as it is making a profit, it is fine. 17 94.44%

No! Gotta be number One, Biaaaatch! 1 5.56%

Total:18

I have Crohns Disease and I spend a lot of time in and out of the bathroom in the morning. Remote play is relevant to me because on days like that I don't have to disrupt my gameplay. But I'll agree it's hit or miss on how well it works for certain games.

Around the Network

I tried Tomb Raider with Remote Play and it was pretty stunning to see graphics that good coming from a handheld. It didn't work as well in practice, though. Voices were out of sync with the actors a couple of times and the game was just too intense during some fight scenes for me to keep using the Vita. Wound up going back to the PS4 for certain tough spots.

Flower worked great in Remote Play, though.

It's definitely looking comfortable in Japan. It could probably keep its head above water in Europe, but it's looking pretty dead in North America. Sony clearly have no drive to deliver system sellers in the West.

I'm guessing the Vita's remaining life won't be all that different to the PSP's final few years.

JPL78 said:
I have Crohns Disease and I spend a lot of time in and out of the bathroom in the morning. Remote play is relevant to me because on days like that I don't have to disrupt my gameplay. But I'll agree it's hit or miss on how well it works for certain games.

It really is, I tried to play MGS5 GZ on it and it worked amazing, no lag, no issues, played for a good half hour. Then I moved to Killzone and it was disconecting all the time for some reason, same thing with Warframe. Maybe it is about the size of the game or something, i don´t really know.

But, as you said, the cross-buy stuff is the really good deal. And the indies, there some amazing games out there and they feel perfect in the VITA.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

d21lewis said:
I tried Tomb Raider with Remote Play and it was pretty stunning to see graphics that good coming from a handheld. It didn't work as well in practice, though. Voices were out of sync with the actors a couple of times and the game was just too intense during some fight scenes for me to keep using the Vita. Wound up going back to the PS4 for certain tough spots.

Flower worked great in Remote Play, though.

Good call, I will try Rezogun.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Around the Network
WagnerPaiva said:
JPL78 said:

It really is, I tried to play MGS5 GZ on it and it worked amazing, no lag, no issues, played for a good half hour. Then I moved to Killzone and it was disconecting all the time for some reason, same thing with Warframe. Maybe it is about the size of the game or something, i don´t really know.

But, as you said, the cross-buy stuff is the really good deal. And the indies, there some amazing games out there and they feel perfect in the VITA.

lol, I tried Battlefield 4 campaign and that looked great but was near impossible to have any real accuracy. If I'm gonna have to try and headshot a guy the size of a couple dozen pixels then I'll stick to a large flatscreen. Killzone Mercenary worked because it was tuned for a handheld and most enemies were not that far away from you. I haven't tried Shadow Fall but I can assume it wouldn't be optimal.

I have very much enjoyed using it for Knack, Assassin's Creed 4, NHL/NBA2K14, and soon to be Infamous.
Have loved the games I have been able to get on it. Looking forward to getting Legend of Heroes Trails 2 later this year.
Don't regret my VITA purchase at all, but I agree it won't take off.

PSN: Saugeen-Uwo     Feel free to add me (put Vg Chartz as MSG)!

Nintendo Network ID: Saugeen-Uwo

Iveyboi said:
I have very much enjoyed using it for Knack, Assassin's Creed 4, NHL/NBA2K14, and soon to be Infamous.
Have loved the games I have been able to get on it. Looking forward to getting Legend of Heroes Trails 2 later this year.
Don't regret my VITA purchase at all, but I agree it won't take off.

In Infamous it's good for exploring or fetching blast shards, some side missions but by they second half of the game you need the added precision of the controller for combat.

All I want is for some more unique games on Vita to get it out there. Games like Uncharted and Tearaway show what its capable of. Are developers afraid of a little risk or something? It's like a portable Dreamcast almost, such a waste for a great platform. I'm probably in the minority but I enjoy it more than my 3DS

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

JWeinCom said:

Then, think of it from Sony's perspective. How much is the Vita making? How much of my resources are being devoted towards the Vita? What else could I be using the developers, marketing budget, and factories for? This is called opportunity costs. The Vita needs not just to make a profit, but make more profit than the next viable option. As it stands in terms of hardware and software sales, it is hard to imagine that the Vita is the best option for the Vita right now.

The Vita is just doing really really poorly,
and it's hard to imagine a scenario where the Vita division is worthwhile to Sony as a whole. It's hard to see why retailers would continue stocking it or its games in the US, and it's hard to see why Sony would be motivated to develop anything with the intention of release outside of Japan. It's hard to imagine the Vita is the best use of Sony's time, money, and energy.

Sony never used more than a token investment in the platform.  There have never really been resources into the Vita for them to take out especially as far as developers or marketing budget. It's only been the smallest teams and no name teams making games for it.  Games hardly get physical releases let alone advertising.  I guess they could save resources by keeping the money from stopping the shitty ports nobody wants.  

Sony is just doing a really really poor job with Vita.  The Vita situation did not just happen to Sony. Sony did it to themselves by not setting themselves up for success. Why wait until you system is on life support to hire people to bring 3rd party titles. That might have been a worthwhile investment of Sony's time money and energy early on. Now I have to agree it's just wasted.