By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PSVita: Remote Play, Current state and the Future.

Tagged games:

PSVita ?

As long as it is making a profit, it is fine. 17 94.44%

No! Gotta be number One, Biaaaatch! 1 5.56%

Total:18
JPL78 said:
I love remote play. There is this moment when you are sitting on the toilet playing a full fledged and gorgeous MMO like Final Fantasy XIV that you really have to just stop and admire that.

That and cross buy have kept the system alive for me. Not that there aren't games I want to play but just I have to shift focus among different systems and handhelds usually take a backseat to my home consoles. But just knowing I have free vita games to download keeps me at least booting the Vita back up. Between that and the awesome Plus discounts you get, Sony knows how to keep its customers interested in its hardware.

My friend once swore up and down giving away free games was stupid, robbing themselves of sales. Since I bought a physical copy of uncharted on Vita AFTER already beating it for free as a Plus member, I disagree.

That is so right! Giving stuff for free makes me have a soft spot for them, and when it comes the time to buy games, I always tend to buy on sony consoles because of inertia, like I did with Metal Gear 5, althought I also have a Xbox One, I bought on PS4 because they give me free stuff and that makes me happy.

also, the discounts make it very easy to buy PSVita games, it is a joy to do it.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Around the Network
CleggaZ said:

As previously stated by others it doesn’t need to sell tens of millions of units to be a financial success and sales will only increase in the future especially with more games, bundles ,price cuts and features/services etc. That being said I’m still waiting for FF7 crisis core and KH BBS to be added to the PSN store as well as a possible FF type-0 localization. I would also like to see more HD collections ported to vita possible sequels to popular PSP games for example a kh spin off prequel set in the keyblade war with 4 player co-op where you get to create your own character that has different classes and mechanics to other popular PSP/vita games ( Monster Hunter,Phantasy star, God Eater, lord of Arcana,Ragnrok Odyssey etc.) would be great and shift consoles.

Oh yeah, I would love Valkyria Chronicles 2 and 3 in HD and some horror PS2 game ports.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

theprof00 said:
It's fine as a system. All this talk about what it needs and doesn't need is trivial.
If sony wants it to compete in a bigger market, they need to add phone capabilities.
Otherwise, it's fine where it is. It'll get there...it won't be pretty, but it'll get there.

They should take this time to think about what they really want to aim for.

I think developing RPGs for it doesn´t cost that much and those always sell like 300k or more, so that is a good niche to keep exploring, worked really well for the PSP.

JWeinCom said:
Profit is not all that matters and profit is not going to keep you in business forever.

Think of it from a store's perspective. I make money for each Vita game sold. So, having a Vita section makes me a profit. But, that Vita section takes up a lot of store space. What if I could use that space to stock something else that will bring in more profit? In that case, bye bye Vita.

Then, think of it from Sony's perspective. How much is the Vita making? How much of my resources are being devoted towards the Vita? What else could I be using the developers, marketing budget, and factories for? This is called opportunity costs. The Vita needs not just to make a profit, but make more profit than the next viable option. As it stands in terms of hardware and software sales, it is hard to imagine that the Vita is the best option for the Vita right now.

In home remote play is not a major feature. Just ask Nintendo. Sony initially made it seem like you could play the Vita more or less anywhere that you had Wifi which would have been really awesome. But, the reality is that it is a rather limited service. Maybe Playstation Now will make better use of the Vita, but I don't think it will work very well if the PSVita is only OK at streaming from the PS4.

The PSP Vita comparison is not apt. The PSP was beaten soundly by the DS, but it was successful in its own right in hardware and software. The PSP had 52 million sellers. The DS had 129. The 3DS has 25 so far. The Vita has one. You can factor in PSPlus stuff and digital sales, but even so that's absolutely terrible. If we assume every game sold 50% digitally and 50% retail, we still only have 6 million sellers which means only 6 games have sold more than 500,000 retail. Vita software in 2013 was roughly a third of what PSP software was in 2006. Of the top 100 selling games of 2013 0 were released on the Vita.

The Vita is just doing really really poorly, and it's hard to imagine a scenario where the Vita division is worthwhile to Sony as a whole. It's hard to see why retailers would continue stocking it or its games in the US, and it's hard to see why Sony would be motivated to develop anything with the intention of release outside of Japan. It's hard to imagine the Vita is the best use of Sony's time, money, and energy.

Sure. When I talked about profit, I meant overall profit, all things considered profit. Even in a shrinking market and being number 2 or 3 you can have a steady healthy source of income from a product. I think the stores will always give a little space for Vita if it sells ok.
But, also, don´t forget that the Vita plays PSONE and PSP digital games, so, it is also a plataform to deliver those very profitable digital products.

WagnerPaiva said:
JWeinCom said:
Profit is not all that matters and profit is not going to keep you in business forever.

Think of it from a store's perspective. I make money for each Vita game sold. So, having a Vita section makes me a profit. But, that Vita section takes up a lot of store space. What if I could use that space to stock something else that will bring in more profit? In that case, bye bye Vita.

Then, think of it from Sony's perspective. How much is the Vita making? How much of my resources are being devoted towards the Vita? What else could I be using the developers, marketing budget, and factories for? This is called opportunity costs. The Vita needs not just to make a profit, but make more profit than the next viable option. As it stands in terms of hardware and software sales, it is hard to imagine that the Vita is the best option for the Vita right now.

In home remote play is not a major feature. Just ask Nintendo. Sony initially made it seem like you could play the Vita more or less anywhere that you had Wifi which would have been really awesome. But, the reality is that it is a rather limited service. Maybe Playstation Now will make better use of the Vita, but I don't think it will work very well if the PSVita is only OK at streaming from the PS4.

The PSP Vita comparison is not apt. The PSP was beaten soundly by the DS, but it was successful in its own right in hardware and software. The PSP had 52 million sellers. The DS had 129. The 3DS has 25 so far. The Vita has one. You can factor in PSPlus stuff and digital sales, but even so that's absolutely terrible. If we assume every game sold 50% digitally and 50% retail, we still only have 6 million sellers which means only 6 games have sold more than 500,000 retail. Vita software in 2013 was roughly a third of what PSP software was in 2006. Of the top 100 selling games of 2013 0 were released on the Vita.

The Vita is just doing really really poorly, and it's hard to imagine a scenario where the Vita division is worthwhile to Sony as a whole. It's hard to see why retailers would continue stocking it or its games in the US, and it's hard to see why Sony would be motivated to develop anything with the intention of release outside of Japan. It's hard to imagine the Vita is the best use of Sony's time, money, and energy.

Sure. When I talked about profit, I meant overall profit, all things considered profit. Even in a shrinking market and being number 2 or 3 you can have a steady healthy source of income from a product. I think the stores will always give a little space for Vita if it sells ok.

I think that stores will stock Vita stuff, but only because they want to maintain a strong relationship with Sony.  On its own merit though, they would not.  Considering the software sales and hardware sales of the Vita, do you believe that Sony couldn't be using the money they devote to the Vita for something with a higher return?

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:

I think that stores will stock Vita stuff, but only because they want to maintain a strong relationship with Sony.  On its own merit though, they would not.  Considering the software sales and hardware sales of the Vita, do you believe that Sony couldn't be using the money they devote to the Vita for something with a higher return?

I agree with you that the Vita is not a blockbuster hot item, but, all things consider, I think that the ecosystem can sustain it for another year and the PS4 will create a little more interest on the handheld. Anyone who have it, know how amazing it is and how fun even the indies are on the system. Like, Thomas was alone is such a zen experience and Lone Survivor is a perfect fit also.

I don´t think sony can abandon the vita and gamble in another thing, the handheld market is pretty much gone for now, with the mobile and IOS stuff. But i do think it can limp till the finish line for a while, and build a nice library along the way. It is very much like the wiiU, not doing good business, but still a chance of doing some profit if you keep the expectatives low and the flow of games high.

WagnerPaiva said:
JWeinCom said:

I agree with you that the Vita is not a blockbuster hot item, but, all things consider, I think that the ecosystem can sustain it for another year and the PS4 will creat a little more interest on the handheld. Anyone who have it, now how amazing it is and how fun even the indies are on the system. Like, Thomas was alone is such a zen experience and Lone Survivor is a perfect fit also.

I don´t think sony can abandon the vita and gamble in another thing, the handheld market is pretty much gone for now, with the mobile and IOS stuff. But i do think it can limp till the finish line for a while, and build a nice library along the way. It is very much like the wiiU, not doing good business, but still a chance of doing some profit if you keep the expectatives low and the flow of games high.

The big difference between the Vita and the Wii U is that Nintendo needs the Wii U a lot more than Sony needs the Vita.  Nintendo has two divisions.  Their handheld division and their console division.  If one of these two elements dies, Nintendo is in serious trouble as a company.

Sony on the other hand is also involved in cameras, movies, music, smart phones, and several other fields.  Handheld gaming is one of the smallest parts of their overall business.  So, if the handheld market is pretty much gone, why limp to the finish when they could be using their resources on something else, for instance their smartphone and tablets division?

JWeinCom said:

The big difference between the Vita and the Wii U is that Nintendo needs the Wii U a lot more than Sony needs the Vita.  Nintendo has two divisions.  Their handheld division and their console division.  If one of these two elements dies, Nintendo is in serious trouble as a company.

Sony on the other hand is also involved in cameras, movies, music, smart phones, and several other fields.  Handheld gaming is one of the smallest parts of their overall business.  So, if the handheld market is pretty much gone, why limp to the finish when they could be using their resources on something else, for instance their smartphone and tablets division?

Well, it depends on how much those devices really can sell, and also, the game division of Sony still have 4 products, PS3, PS4, PSP and PSVITA, I think dismouting vita assembly lines and dropping everything when there are hundreds of devs making and porting games for it would be an enormous mistake. Again, they are a big company and they are used to having dozens of products on the market at the same time, and the vita sells much better than a lot of those products.

For me, remote play is very dependant on the game you are playing. I confess i cant get used to the triggers beeing on the back touch pad. Its just not as convenient as the regular controller. The analogs also struggle to align because the calibration is made for the controller and the Vita analogs are more sensitive cause they are smaller.

So, now that i have both, its become even more obvious that sony needs to keep releasing games for it. Remote play is not enough to justify a Vita purchase unless you are somehow beeing constantly kicked out of your TV. In the lack of the main thing, it is useful.

Nem said:
For me, remote play is very dependant on the game you are playing. I confess i cant get used to the triggers beeing on the back touch pad. Its just not as convenient as the regular controller. The analogs also struggle to align because the calibration is made for the controller and the Vita analogs are more sensitive cause they are smaller.

So, now that i have both, its become even more obvious that sony needs to keep releasing games for it. Remote play is not enough to justify a Vita purchase unless you are somehow beeing constantly kicked out of your TV. In the lack of the main thing, it is useful.

I agree, it is a nice little feature, but not that relevant.