By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you find it weird how fast some third developers are moving on to current gen only titles?

So?

No Way! Current gen for the win! 30 15.15%

It should be this fast! 57 28.79%

Goodbye last gen! 28 14.14%

It's a bit weird... 26 13.13%

hmmm 4 2.02%

No, it's normal 44 22.22%

unsure 9 4.55%

Total:198
prayformojo said:
I'm actually shocked more devs are releasing last gen ports. I could be wrong but I don't remember this happening before. When PS2 launched, we didn't see a port of say, MGS2 on PS1. We didn't get Gears Of War on the first Xbox etc.

Maybe it's a sign that next gen hardware isn't nearly the leap it use to be.

or devs have been on PC uprading long enough that they know how to scale the resolution/framerate to match higher specs without changing the framerate.  Also they just are playing it safer than they ever have with ports with increased costs.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Around the Network
prayformojo said:
Maybe it's a sign that next gen hardware isn't nearly the leap it use to be.

Compared to prior generational leaps, it isn't. PS3/360 were insane powerhouses for 2005/2006; PS4/Xbone are somewhat more modest for 2013.

I don't consider this a bad thing though; I'd rather consoles be more affordable than more powerful.

Considering how long they stuck with mainly developing on 7+ year old hardware, I'm sure they were all pretty anxious to make the jump and start figuring out how to transfer what they know to the...newer hardware.

I'm unsure, but I think they are thinking of the long term and trying to capitalize on the strong start of PS4 & X1 this gen.

My 8th gen collection

curl-6 said:
Wonktonodi said:
curl-6 said:
Wonktonodi said:

ps2 got games for quite a while

Xbox and GCN didn't, though. PS2 just had too big of an install base too ignore.

till 2007 for cube and 2008 for xbox
and the install base of the 360 and ps3 is even bigger 

Those 07/08 games were just yearly Sports ports, not AAA games or anything.

And PS4/Xbone are doing better out of the gate than PS3/360 did, which encourages devs to make the transition more quickly.

yes but what about 06? lets see what the 360 and ps3 get in 15 and 16

Around the Network
Wonktonodi said:

15 or 16 games you mean?

No, in Cd projects case they were desperate for more power. Many other devs are worn out on old hardware, they been inching for the new gen.

curl-6 said:
Wonktonodi said:

15 or 16 games you mean?

2015 and 2016 when the ps4 and xbox one have been out a year or 2 not a few months.

They need to move quicker.

Not at all. The last gen consoles have been severely holding developers back for years. There are litteraly tons of things they've had to compromise on simply because 360 and PS3 weren't capable of doing it. Not just graphically but in terms of gameplay.

Ever wonder why you couldn't holster your gun in Mass Effect 3? There wasn't enough RAM left to store the animations needed to do it.

Ever wonder why there are no female hunters to fight in The Last of Us? Not enough memory to store additional character models, animations, and voices needed.

And I could name a bunch more as well. Developers are beyond eager to move on, and honestly probably would have preferred if we had new hardware 2 years ago.