By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Firefox Windows 8 (Metro UI) Stops Dev cause Nobody Wants Your S*#%ty Metro UI on Desktops Windows 8!

dahuman said:
RavenXtra said:
Maybe no one was using it because it wasn't complete... the Metro version of Firefox was missing a lot of standard features, so I had to switch to Chrome & Internet Explorer's Metro interface when using my tablet.

thread title....

My tablet runs a full copy of Windows 8.1. Them skipping Firefox Metro on Desktops means I won't get it on a tablet either.

Around the Network

Maybe they just don't want Firefox and prefer other browser test versions? It sounds illogical to me that there are only 1000 testing it on Metro but "millions" overall. Millions vs. 1000 means minimum 2000x less people testing it on Windows 8. Does he really believe the reason is that nobody uses Metro? Did he never think about the possibility that those people who use it simply don't want to test Firefox?

I mean, Windows 8 adoption rate is low but it is still already used by a decent percentual margin of PC users so that there has to be another reason why the rate is so unbelievable low on Windows 8.

Maybe I understood something wrong?

RavenXtra said:
dahuman said:
RavenXtra said:
Maybe no one was using it because it wasn't complete... the Metro version of Firefox was missing a lot of standard features, so I had to switch to Chrome & Internet Explorer's Metro interface when using my tablet.

thread title....

My tablet runs a full copy of Windows 8.1. Them skipping Firefox Metro on Desktops means I won't get it on a tablet either.

I'm okay with Metro on Tablets and Smart Phones because Windows 8 was designed for touch devices to start with...... the lack of good apps on Windows 8 phone sucks balls though, or they just don't work as well compared to the Android or iOS versions is about it really, but the interface works fine on touch. One thing Apple did right by not doing something was merging OSX and iOS to be the same kind of OS because they actually understand end users much better than Microsoft these days by just looking at what MS did with the new Windows and the X1, hopefully with dumbass Ballmer's departure, we'll have the better Microsoft back, hopefully anyways.....

crissindahouse said:

Maybe they just don't want Firefox and prefer other browser test versions? It sounds illogical to me that there are only 1000 testing it on Metro but "millions" overall. Millions vs. 1000 means minimum 2000x less people testing it on Windows 8. Does he really believe the reason is that nobody uses Metro? Did he never thing about the possibility that those people who use it simply don#t wat to test Firefox?

I mean, Windows 8 adoption rate is low but it is still already used by a decent percentual margin of PC users so that there has to be another reason why the rate is so unbelievable low on Windows 8.

I'm guessing most people are still using desktop mode cause that's what I used primarily on my new laptop before I changed it to Windows 7, and I used Windows 8 on it for months to only get more pissed off becuase I didn't even want to use the touch screen due to my finger smearing all over it since it's a beautiful screen.

dahuman said:
crissindahouse said:

Maybe they just don't want Firefox and prefer other browser test versions? It sounds illogical to me that there are only 1000 testing it on Metro but "millions" overall. Millions vs. 1000 means minimum 2000x less people testing it on Windows 8. Does he really believe the reason is that nobody uses Metro? Did he never thing about the possibility that those people who use it simply don#t wat to test Firefox?

I'm guessing most people are still using desktop mode cause that's what I used primarily on my new laptop before I changed it to Windows 7, and I used Windows 8 on it for months to only get more pissed off becuase I didn't even want to use the touch screen due to my finger smearing all over it since it's a beautiful screen.

ahh ok, thought he meant whole Windows 8 with it, have not really a clue about Windows 8

Around the Network

OS X FTW!

LemonSlice said:
OS X FTW!

Good joke

Munkeh111 said:
LemonSlice said:
OS X FTW!

Good joke

Laugh all you want, it's a free country.

what is the metro UI?
ive been using firefox for year and ive never heard of it.
is it an add-on?

dahuman said:
vivster said:
Oh no. No Metro version of the 4th best browser? How will I ever manage.

It's still my backup to Chrome when Chrome goes into "fuck you" mode and it's plug-in support is very good.

I'm the reverse, Firefox with Chrome as backup. Chrome still doesn't have the customisation options I like.

If I am recommending a (desktop) browser to a someone not very tech-savvy I tend to say Chrome or Safari, as they are easy to use and tend to be the fastest in terms of loading speed. (actually it's been a few years since I used Safari, but I suspect it is still similar) For my purposes though I can browse faster with FF.

I haven't tried IE10/11, IE9 was a massive improvement over 8/7 though so if IE10 was a similar improvement then it's probably a decent alternative.

Haven't tried Opera in a few years as it was slow as hell for me, loved all the options it had 'out of the box' but for some reason web pages took at least 10 times longer to load.