By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best Handheld Game System

What's your favourite handheld game system?

Playstation Vita 136 24.16%

Playstation Portable (PSP) 40 7.10%

Nintendo 3DS/2DS 209 37.12%

Nintendo DS/DSi 83 14.74%

Gameboy Advance 53 9.41%

iPad/Android Tablet/Phone 8 1.42%

Open Pandora 4 0.71%

Classic Handheld ie. Game... 22 3.91%

Obscure Classic ie. Wonde... 2 0.36%

Other (Please State) 2 0.36%

Total:559

PS Vita, by far, for me.

Around the Network

My fav is PSV, but I won't buy it until its library will be larger and its price lower. I'm not a big portable fan, but games for dedicated portable gaming platforms attract me a lot more than games for tablets and phones, too limited by the lack of dedicated controls and the f2p ones often plagued by pesky policies.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

I have a 3ds and vita.... 3ds is the easy choice. It just has way too many good games, and thats what makes a system good, after all...... my vita has sat unused for months, and I cant remember the last time I played it. I play my 3ds constantly. With its library, the 3ds is easily the best of the current gen handhelds, the vita isnt even close...

I for sure pick the DS. I thought it was super innovative, and it has a massive library of amazing games.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

ganoncrotch said:

Pspgo fully hacked, the only handheld you will ever need.

odd that I'm the 3rd person to say psp... but only second vote it has :o

THIS!

...anybody that disagrees is a huge liar!!

Firstly, the PSP has amazing games from MGS PW to Crisis Core FFVII...

But that's not all.... It has the library of PS1 games!...but that's still not all.  When modded, it has the library of EVERY nes, snes, gb, gba, sega genesis, ps1, psp game!!! Mario and Pokemon on a Sony device? What?!? Which to reminds us all.......

---> ***FINAL FANTASY TYPE-0 WILL BE PATCHED WITH ENGLISH SUBTITLES TO BE RELEASED AUGUST 2014!!!! I'm super excited to play it!!!

But that's not all...it's also a music and media player! Silly parents that back then that had to buy their kids a Nintendo DS AND an ipod just because their kids wanted some portable gaming device and also a portable music/video player simply because they only looked at the initial price of each product being lower than the PSP. (Not always the case for every parents of course lol as well I had modded my NDS to play music and videos too ^__^)

But that's not all...screw PS4 with cross platform play with PS Vita!  The PSP/PSP Go can directly hook up to your TV and play it on the big screen using a Dualshock 3 controller.  So you can play your game on the go and at home from the same device!  IF Nintendo gives up on home consoles, this is what they'll likely do/I think they're rumoured to have something like this next gen(?) so fans better not say Nintendo's a genius and innovative etc. when Sony did that already.  (But we all know Sony copied everything from Nintendo right? lol)

I'm not usually this excited but I love to express the greatness of the PSP Go as it's my favorite console of all time!!  I just feel sad that many looked down upon this great handheld when they probably didn't even know about its full potential.

Around the Network

I have had the PSP and the 3DS. I am sorely torn between the two, as I love them both dearly for very, VERY different reasons.

PSP:

The PSP is a phenomenal system. Decent battery life, good screen, compact design, I could use it to game, play music, heck, I could even use it as a video iPod.

The problem, of course, was the memory. Even after dumping $70 into memory cards I still felt like the system was holding me back. I could get enough mileage out of the memory cards. What do you mean I can only fit five hours of anime onto my $30 memory card?!

That actually became a stickler on a couple of longer car rides.

The icing on the cake, though, is the USB charging. Let me get this straight: to charge a PSP via USB, you MUST use a PC. If you run out of battery when you can only charge via USB, you're SOL because the PSP must be on and set to USB to charge. You can't do something else with your PSP while you're charging. What incompetent intern set this up?!

Words fail me for the PSP's failings. I love the system. So close, yet so far.

3DS:

The 3DS is again a phenomenal system. I like the 3D, even if I almost never use it. Youtube, Netflix, and web browsing are all here, and they're entirely usable, too. Youtube in particular suits the 3DS.

Unfortunately, the 3DS's battery is a big problem. On paper, the 3DS has a battery which lasts as long as the PSP. I never had a problem with the PSP's battery, so the 3DS should be just fine, too, right? WRONG. The 3DS burns about 3 times more juice than the PSP did while sleeping, so the battery will quickly deplete when you aren't using it. I do like the social aspect of meeting people via street pass, but it really needed to be dialed back to save the battery.

That, and that beautiful youtube app crashes all the bloody time.

I can fairly see why people would say the Vita is the best, and between the ergonomic design, the games, and the apps, I can totally see that. It also has the exact same problems with memory. The PSP is a good system that I will always love, but by and large I have to say the balance of price, titles (both native and backwards compatible) and apps like youtube and netflix make the 3DS king, despite Street Pass making the battery drain too fast.

3DS FTW!

3ds.

http://moongypsy.bandcamp.com/ ~Thank you Stefl1504 for the amazing sig~
V-r0cK said:
ganoncrotch said:

Pspgo fully hacked, the only handheld you will ever need.

odd that I'm the 3rd person to say psp... but only second vote it has :o

THIS!

...anybody that disagrees is a huge liar!!

Firstly, the PSP has amazing games from MGS PW to Crisis Core FFVII...

But that's not all.... It has the library of PS1 games!...but that's still not all.  When modded, it has the library of EVERY nes, snes, gb, gba, sega genesis, ps1, psp game!!! Mario and Pokemon on a Sony device? What?!? Which to reminds us all.......

---> ***FINAL FANTASY TYPE-0 WILL BE PATCHED WITH ENGLISH SUBTITLES TO BE RELEASED AUGUST 2014!!!! I'm super excited to play it!!!

But that's not all...it's also a music and media player! Silly parents that back then that had to buy their kids a Nintendo DS AND an ipod just because their kids wanted some portable gaming device and also a portable music/video player simply because they only looked at the initial price of each product being lower than the PSP. (Not always the case for every parents of course lol as well I had modded my NDS to play music and videos too ^__^)

But that's not all...screw PS4 with cross platform play with PS Vita!  The PSP/PSP Go can directly hook up to your TV and play it on the big screen using a Dualshock 3 controller.  So you can play your game on the go and at home from the same device!  IF Nintendo gives up on home consoles, this is what they'll likely do/I think they're rumoured to have something like this next gen(?) so fans better not say Nintendo's a genius and innovative etc. when Sony did that already.  (But we all know Sony copied everything from Nintendo right? lol)

I'm not usually this excited but I love to express the greatness of the PSP Go as it's my favorite console of all time!!  I just feel sad that many looked down upon this great handheld when they probably didn't even know about its full potential.

Since when could you use duelshock controllers with tje PSP, that's news to me but would be awesome.

Mine is GBA followed by Vita.

Even though Ive only owned a Vita for 2 years, I played more games on it then I have any other system. A lot of them are old titles (either PSP or PS1) or Indie Games, but they still count as enjoyment.

i like the hacked psp go...

tekken dr and 6 was a great game for portable gaming

3ds xl for the best pokemon ever....