By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best Handheld Game System

What's your favourite handheld game system?

Playstation Vita 136 24.16%

Playstation Portable (PSP) 40 7.10%

Nintendo 3DS/2DS 209 37.12%

Nintendo DS/DSi 83 14.74%

Gameboy Advance 53 9.41%

iPad/Android Tablet/Phone 8 1.42%

Open Pandora 4 0.71%

Classic Handheld ie. Game... 22 3.91%

Obscure Classic ie. Wonde... 2 0.36%

Other (Please State) 2 0.36%

Total:559

ps vita for me..

I know nintendo's handhelds have a hell lot moar games and thats cool, but for me, the selling point 4 psvita is that it really delivers all that i want, a home console on my pocket (oddly enough, thats the weakness of the console sales-wise), is so wonderful to be able to play my psx classics without looking for the save points like i used to be, even ps3's games can be more convenient on psvita.

Also, ps+ is so damn sweet.

Edit: cellphone writing sux

Around the Network

I've owned/own PSP, PS Vita, Gameboy, Gameboy color, DS, 3DS.

Vita is by far my favorite, it's so satisfying to play. 3DS was fun for a few weeks but got bored of it quickly, I still think it's a good handheld though.

I honestly wonder if the reason the 3DS is winning the poll, has anything to do with the general age of people voting? Just curious, but I hardly think in a major poll with a wide voter-base, that 3DS would win that vote. It's a great system, but "best ever"? Nah.

To me, my vote would probably go to the original Game Boy. Yes, the "black and white" graphics were limiting, and the "needs a direct light source to really see the screen" thing kinda sucked. But the games on it were simply fantastic. Super Mario Land 1 & 2, Warioland, the first Wave Race, Link's Awakening (my fav. Zelda), Kirby's Dreamland 1 & 2, Mega Man V, Tetris (naturally), the Donkey Kong remake, Metroid 2, the GB Castlevania series, Final Fantasy Legends, the Kid Icarus sequel, the exclusive Battletoads game where you could play Pimple, etc. etc. It was just a great system with a lot of great games.

Otherwise, I'd have to say Game Boy Advance. The DS came out within just a few years of it's launch, but in it's relatively short lifespan GBA just had some really amazing games. And it was kind of nifty, with it's "souped up 16bit" type approach, that in many ways it was like seeing what it could have been like to have a 32bit SNES type console in between SNES and N64. But yeah, the excellent Castlevania games on it, the first Super Mario Advance, Golden Sun, Lady Sia, Double Dragon Advance, Advance Wars, finally getting Fire Emblem, the GBA F-Zero games, Mario Kart: Super Circuit, Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland, the cool Klonoa ports, Mario & Luigi, Metroid: Zero Mission, River City Ransom EX, the surprisingly decent Sonic Advance games, etc.

The classic GB gets my first vote, but GBA is a close second.

despite the lack of developer support, I've been remote playing all my games on my PS4 thru my Vita and it is simply awesome. Controls feel great and there's no lag so far for me. Add to that some of the great games that have come out for it like Killzone Mercenaries, Uncharted Golden Abyss, Tearaway, and Sly Cooper Thieves in Time and I have to say the Vita is a jack of all trades and is the best portable gaming machine I've seen.

Egann said:

- Snip -

Just out of genuine interest, do you not have the same memory problems with the 3DS?  Does it have more storage space than the PSP?

Around the Network
Kresnik said:

Egann said:

- Snip -

Just out of genuine interest, do you not have the same memory problems with the 3DS?  Does it have more storage space than the PSP?

I got a 16 GB SD card for the 3DS on sale for about $15 and I have never gotten within two gigabytes of running out. That's including me dumping a third of my music collection onto it whether the system can play it or not.

The same 16 GB for my PSP--which in total cost me $70 across three cards--is never enough.

The PSP just uses the memory card that much more. UMD games like being installed. Add music, video, and digital games and you have a system which could use a terabyte stick if you had it. The 3DS is more of a streaming device with apps like Youtube and Netflix. It uses memory, to be sure, but with a decently sized SD card memory hasn't been an issue for me.

Egann said:

I got a 16 GB SD card for the 3DS on sale for about $15 and I have never gotten within two gigabytes of running out. That's including me dumping a third of my music collection onto it whether the system can play it or not.

The same 16 GB for my PSP--which in total cost me $70 across three cards--is never enough.

The PSP just uses the memory card that much more. UMD games like being installed. Add music, video, and digital games and you have a system which could use a terabyte stick if you had it. The 3DS is more of a streaming device with apps like Youtube and Netflix. It uses memory, to be sure, but with a decently sized SD card memory hasn't been an issue for me.

Did you buy the official memory stick duo for PSP?

Just a suggestion, but I used a Micro SD -> Memory Stick converter and then bought a 32GB Micro SD card.  That cost me £20 total, which using a currency convertor is about $33 (and would give you 32GB to play around with rather than 16GB).

If you only wanted to spend around $15, too, you could probably pick up the converter + a 16GB Micro SD card for about $18.  Or you can based on UK prices, at least.

TornadoCreator said:
V-r0cK said:
ganoncrotch said:

Pspgo fully hacked, the only handheld you will ever need.

odd that I'm the 3rd person to say psp... but only second vote it has :o

THIS!

Since when could you use duelshock controllers with tje PSP, that's news to me but would be awesome.

The pspgo has bluetooth so it can be sync'd up with a ps3 controller, takes about 2 mins to do it but you do need to have a ps3 handy at the time of doing it the first time. Added to this the Go has a really cool tv out cable so you can tuck the little bugger under your TV, sit back on the couch with a DS3 controller and play things like Xmen VS street fighter on the capcom play system emulator with it.

My love of how great the Go is when hooked up to a tv makes me dislike the Ouya even more for how little it offered.

edit - if you're doing this for emulators/psone games they appear full screen on the TV btw, but psp games themselves have a border around the outer edge of the screen when played, you can over scan most HD tvs to counter it... but its a big enough border that most tvs will still leave a bit of it at the sides.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

I´d have to go with the original DS or 3DS (if we include backwards compatibility).

So many unique games left and right.

Vita is great too for other reasons.....despite Sony´s lackluster firstparty support.

....and Golden Abyss was the single worst game I´ve played on it. What a bad game.

Why is PSV so high in the polls?

This poll is really skewed to the modern handhelds, making it not very credible. I can understand the 3DS, it had an amazing year last year. But Vita? It's hard for me to think of many great exclusive games to play on it. Does it matter that it's exclusive I hear you ask? Yes, of course, why would I play an inferior port of a PS3 game when I can just play it on a PS3?

Is there any other reason I'm not aware of why it scores so high? I admit to being a bit ignorant when it comes to the Vita. I've looked for good exclusives on the Vita though, couldn't find many to consider a purchase.