By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best Handheld Game System

What's your favourite handheld game system?

Playstation Vita 136 24.16%

Playstation Portable (PSP) 40 7.10%

Nintendo 3DS/2DS 209 37.12%

Nintendo DS/DSi 83 14.74%

Gameboy Advance 53 9.41%

iPad/Android Tablet/Phone 8 1.42%

Open Pandora 4 0.71%

Classic Handheld ie. Game... 22 3.91%

Obscure Classic ie. Wonde... 2 0.36%

Other (Please State) 2 0.36%

Total:559
TornadoCreator said:

Skewing towards modern systems proves the people voting are realists, not overgrown children blinded by nostalgia. After all, and I mean this in the nicest way possible, if you answered anything pre-GBA you're simply wrong. A modded PSP can play every Gameboy or Game Gear game without flaw, as well as every NES, SNES, Master System, Mega Drive, and TurboGrafx game though emulation. It has a fantastic D-Pad, responsive buttons, a vibrant screen that you can see in all conditions, and a built in rechargeable lithium ion battery, oh and... oh yes, it's own library of games and the ability to play PSOne games. This would make the GBA obsolete but it's emulation on some games (namely Golden Sun) is a little off so it loses there.

As for other systems, the DS Lite is basically a DS with a GBA built in, so why would you want a GBA? A 3DS effectively has a DS built in so why would you want a DS unless it's to play GBA games. The Vita is basically a nicer and better PSP meaning the only use for the PSP is if you prefer physical media, or want a modded one for emulation.

I honestly fail to see why anyone would pick anything other than the 3DS, Vita, or DS Lite if they especially loved certain GBA games. If you're a retro gamer either the PSP or the Pandora are perfect, surely anything else is simply blind nostalgia. I, to this day, will never understand this desire to ignore backwards compatability when judging a console. It really does make the difference.

Sorry, but the "you only say that because of nostalgia" card, is one of the intellectually weakest and definitely lamest attempts to dismiss someone's else's opinion that you don't agree with, that has probably ever existed in the halls of fandom.

Just saying.

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:

Why is PSV so high in the polls?

This poll is really skewed to the modern handhelds, making it not very credible. I can understand the 3DS, it had an amazing year last year. But Vita? It's hard for me to think of many great exclusive games to play on it. Does it matter that it's exclusive I hear you ask? Yes, of course, why would I play an inferior port of a PS3 game when I can just play it on a PS3?

Is there any other reason I'm not aware of why it scores so high? I admit to being a bit ignorant when it comes to the Vita. I've looked for good exclusives on the Vita though, couldn't find many to consider a purchase.

Well clearly theres people who think like you do, but about the other systems.

I looked very hard on 3ds but couldnt find a game that looked interesting to me. (there was MH, but didnt see a significant difference over MH unite which I got on vita so it didnt justify the purchase of another system).

Vita does have very few games but among the few, theres more which I like than 3ds' massive library.

PSP has the same problem as 3ds I think. It had the big franchises but because the hardware was so limited, mainly due to the lack of the second analogue stick, a lot of the games were watered down. I dont look at the name of the game, I look at the game itself.

Having said that, even the vita suffers from that problem. For example FIFA has no way near the same amount of features the PS3 version has, and uncharted doesnt have online.

And the reason why no-one goes for old handhelds is because theres an emulator for all of them on android. Its questionable whether this fact should influence the vote, but it most likely does.

PlayMatt said:
The Vita, it's amazing, gaming catalogue is growing, looks like 2014 is with more and better games then 3DS coming, Cross-play/save/buy and Remote Play make it the ultimate handheld System!

Just bring us Tomba! 3, Ape Escape Vita, Patapon Vita, Medievil Vita and a Heavenly Sword Vita

Highly debatable.

Both have great line ups and I could easily see someone prefering one over the other depending on personal taste.

Vita > 3DS for me, but its just because of my taste about game, i have 4 on 3DS and 9 on Vita, and vita have persona 4 golden, best rpg i played for years.

DevilRising said:
TornadoCreator said:

Skewing towards modern systems proves the people voting are realists, not overgrown children blinded by nostalgia. After all, and I mean this in the nicest way possible, if you answered anything pre-GBA you're simply wrong. A modded PSP can play every Gameboy or Game Gear game without flaw, as well as every NES, SNES, Master System, Mega Drive, and TurboGrafx game though emulation. It has a fantastic D-Pad, responsive buttons, a vibrant screen that you can see in all conditions, and a built in rechargeable lithium ion battery, oh and... oh yes, it's own library of games and the ability to play PSOne games. This would make the GBA obsolete but it's emulation on some games (namely Golden Sun) is a little off so it loses there.

As for other systems, the DS Lite is basically a DS with a GBA built in, so why would you want a GBA? A 3DS effectively has a DS built in so why would you want a DS unless it's to play GBA games. The Vita is basically a nicer and better PSP meaning the only use for the PSP is if you prefer physical media, or want a modded one for emulation.

I honestly fail to see why anyone would pick anything other than the 3DS, Vita, or DS Lite if they especially loved certain GBA games. If you're a retro gamer either the PSP or the Pandora are perfect, surely anything else is simply blind nostalgia. I, to this day, will never understand this desire to ignore backwards compatability when judging a console. It really does make the difference.

Sorry, but the "you only say that because of nostalgia" card, is one of the intellectually weakest and definitely lamest attempts to dismiss someone's else's opinion that you don't agree with, that has probably ever existed in the halls of fandom.

Just saying.

So's the "Your argument is intellectually weak because I say so" card, but as we're not playing cards but are in fact having a discussion; that shouldn't be an issue. Now, grow up, make a point worth my time, or kindly make your own thread where you can bask in the glow of your own arrogance. I'm so sorry that it offends you when someone points out the FACT!!! that earlier technology is intrinsically inferior to modern technology, I know it makes the nostalgia breast inside you do somersaults, but grow the fuck up!

Around the Network
TornadoCreator said:
DevilRising said:
TornadoCreator said:

Just saying.

So's the "Your argument is intellectually weak because I say so" card, but as we're not playing cards but are in fact having a discussion; that shouldn't be an issue. Now, grow up, make a point worth my time, or kindly make your own thread where you can bask in the glow of your own arrogance. I'm so sorry that it offends you when someone points out the FACT!!! that earlier technology is intrinsically inferior to modern technology, I know it makes the nostalgia breast inside you do somersaults, but grow the fuck up!

You are both obnoxious and a paragon of anti-logic.

I voted for the PSP because it had by far the best games I have ever played on a handheld. This of course does not factor in backwards compatibility and emulation as it makes no sense to include these in my decision. I simply compared the library of games available to each system, otherwise we would only have two choices which would render the poll irrelevant as well as the bulk of this discussion.

NGAGE!

Seriously? Vita for the games and trophies, 3ds for the backwards compatibility and couple of nintendo made games.

DS was an absolute blinder of a system. Vita pips it for me though because it has an untouchable portable racing lineup. Add in a portable version of my favourite game of all time that has physical control (jet set radio) and the best way to play lots of  ndie awesomeness and yeah, I've not been this happy with a gaming platform since the 6th gen.

The 3DS has some great exclusives. But the overall lineup isn't diverse enough in comparison. I'd also prefer a higher resolution display but I guess full HD smart phones and the Vita OLED have spoilt me.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

orniletter said:
PlayMatt said:
The Vita, it's amazing, gaming catalogue is growing, looks like 2014 is with more and better games then 3DS coming, Cross-play/save/buy and Remote Play make it the ultimate handheld System!

Just bring us Tomba! 3, Ape Escape Vita, Patapon Vita, Medievil Vita and a Heavenly Sword Vita

Highly debatable.

Both have great line ups and I could easily see someone prefering one over the other depending on personal taste.

Cool bro! If you can clarify me some of those... 2013 was AMAZING on the 3DS on my opnion but on this year I can't see nothing but Bravely Default and Smash Bros (which I personally woud take Wii U version). But it's always good to know what I'm missing in my gaydar...

The Bitch is back! And better then ever! #BritneyReturns

SONY Bring them BACK for PS4 and VITA!

TornadoCreator said:

"Bask in the glow of your own arrogance"? And telling me to grow up, when you're the one basically calling people stupid man-children for daring to have a different answer than you. You're a funny guy.

And all this, coming from someone who apparently created a skewed poll, just so he could bully the people whose answers he dislikes? Bravo son. Bravo.