By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So, Metroid Other M was a good game

Other M was

Excelent! 75 43.35%

Better than Prime 3 Corruption 26 15.03%

I like Adam 9 5.20%

Samus is the sexy girl? 61 35.26%

Total:171

I played the game not knowing it was hated, I wanted to avoid spoilers and never saw reviews or anything.

I liked the gameplay , the hybrid mix and the fast paced action (except the parts where you have to look around for no reason)

I like the idea of Samus being human, I like the idea that she is a female bounty hunter and have feelings like a human.

But shes so weak like a stereotypical female character in a soap opera , Samus should be a strong woman her emotional moments were so lame.

so they should not make more other M , they should reboot the series or remake older storylines, also the main villian was lame , the way adam died was lame and very stupid, the way everything was excuted was stupid, this isn't about bandwagoning hate, I don't hate the game, but its not worthy of Samus' character being portrayed like that, also the fight with Ridley and other moments, it seemed as if the writer haven't played other metroid games and just decided to make it all cliche melodrama.

Around the Network
Pavolink said:

Despite some flaws like the story and linearity, gameplay was good.

As far I'm concern, we Nintendo fans always believes gameplay is first, in which case, Other M is very good, fast and responsive, flashy even. The way Adam has to autorize the use of some weapons or abilities fits with the tension of exploring an abandoned space ship, and not just running without sense destroying everything.

Samus left her tank body from the Prime Series to become the fast Samus from Super Metroid. Gathering all the beams combined left the sense of power and progression to the player, unlike Prime, where every shoot feels like a puzzle (especially Echoes).

Other M feels like a 3D version of the masterpiece Super Metroid. Nintendo needs to do a remake. Keep the gamplay but discard the story and Samus dialogues. Left only the inner ones.

Hopefully this year at E3 NIntendo announces Other M 2 fixing the problems.

No just no other M is a terrible game by metroid standards and an alright game by any other standards.

Some of the gameplay choices were bad for a metroid game, like having that guy grant you permission to use your powers, and some were just universally bad gameplay choices like switching between nes style and pointer control and those parts where you had to look around. It is best nintendo pretends this game never existed.

My 3ds friendcode: 5413-0232-9676 (G-cyber)

The game would be significantly better if the following simple changes were made:
- Wiimote + Nunchuk setup with analogue movement and dodging mapped to Z.
- Cutscenes skippable.
- No walking or pixel searching segments.
- Health pickups like in prior games.

That alone would have made it a 6/10 game instead of the 3/10 game it ended up as.

zippy said:
Metroid Other flop is the floppiest of flops, it has sold less copies than Super Mario 3D flop and will be passed by Donkey Kong Tropical flop. Both 3D flop and tropical flop were better system sellers than Other flop.

We already know Metroid is not a big seller. And despite that, it sold like a million copies. Now, tell us when is 3D World going to reach the 10m copies from Galaxy, TF the 6m from Returns or why both games failed moving consoles.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

So, I'm the negative one and people come with baseless rants about a shi*t of game that clearly is not Other M.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network
Pavolink said:
So, I'm the negative one and people come with baseless rants about a shi*t of game that clearly is not Other M.

I think I'm actually being rather positive, merciful, and kind. :p

I even gave examples of how to easily fix it!

As a big Metroid Fan (the only game that I havent beat yet is the nes game, simply impossible to me) I liked The other M quite a bit.
Gameplay was fast and responsive. Graphics were great, music was fine no complains. The story was kind of mixed bag of things. I kind of get what Sakamoto was trying to achive with it but I agree the execution wasnot the best.
some fact: Just before getting other M, I beat metroid fusion so the story kind of made sense to me, I did not hate it.
Overall is not the best metroid game IMO; however I consider it a good game nonetheless.

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

I just got this game for free and the way y'all are talking about it is making me want to get my money back.

"Games are a trigger for adults to again become primitive, primal, as a way of thinking and remembering. An adult is a child who has more ethics and morals, that's all. When I am a child, creating, I am not creating a game. I am in the game. The game is not for children, it is for me. It is for an adult who still has a character of a child."

Shigeru Miyamoto

I agree, Metroid other M was such an underrated game. The gameplay was particularly amazing. it was like keeping the pace and the responsiveness from 2 metroid but in 3d plus ading the exploration side of metroid prime with first player view. Other M is one of my favorite wii game. I think a lot of people actually enjoyed the game quite a lot!

@OP

I'm afraid I'd have to disagree. From the moment that I saw that Team Ninja was developing it, I had a bad feeling, because their games are exponentially awful. But I figured I'd wait and give it a chance, because Nintendo would never let anyone ruin Metroid like they did Star Fox, right? Even when other people were bitching and moaning before it released, and even though I had a sneaking suspicion/fear that it would play like dogshit, I was willing to give it that chance, I tried to be positive about it and hope it WAS indeed going to be a good game.

Unfortunately, when it released, and I got it day one, I got it home, and while I tried like hell to like it, honestly, almost everything about the game was fairly awful. The story is absurd garbage, yes, and it illustrates perfectly why they absolutely SHOULD NOT give Link a voice, or try to "fill in his back story" in any Zelda game. Part of the allure of a Samus or a Link, is that while sure, there are some foundations and building blocks of story/background for them to go with, all the finer details are left for the gamer to "fill in the blanks", and so the character can be as cool as you imagine them to be. As soon as you start trying to fill in those blanks, suddenly the character "isn't who you thought they were" anymore, and in Samus' case, they drew her in Other M as a teen girl in her cadet days who acted rather like a spoiled, insolent child. And considering that she wasn't raised by humans, but by Chozo, and likely might not have ever even been around another human (since her early childhood when her family was killed) until young adulthood, the fact that her character would NOT act "teenage" and "girly" makes perfect sense. She would have acted more like however Chozos acted, because that was her childhood. So they drew her out to be kind of an emotional moron, the stereotype of how "women are supposed to be", they basically made Samus Aran like every other dumb female anime heroine out there. And the whole dichotomy with Adam and everything....just the entire thing sounded retarded.

But it wasn't just the story. To me, the gameplay sucked ass as well, and for all the reasons I feared. Bottom line: it played like a Team Ninja game. Everything wrong with their games, especially their 3D Ninja Gaiden games, was wrong with Other M. Shitty camera-work, floaty ass/imprecise jumping and platforming, iffy hit detection, just a very "sloppy" feel to the controls all around. Not tight and precise like Metroid is supposed to be. The game wasn't "unplayable", but it certainly wasn't very fun to play. The worst thing I could say about it, is that it simply didn't feel like I was playing a Metroid game. Even with the Prime games, being in 3D and first person, somehow they did still manage to hang on to that feeling of "Metroid-ness". Other M is, at least in my experience, mostly devoid of it. The gameplay itself just wasn't fun to play, and the moronic "turn the Wiimote to stand completely stone-still and fire missles, even in the middle of heated fucking boss battles", was one of the worst game design ideas I've ever experienced.

I myself only managed to stomach about half the game before I eventually quit. Unfortunately, I allowed a friend to come over and check it out, and he kinda liked it, so he insisted on playing through it, and I had to see the whole game play out. My opinion didn't change. It's not even like you could say "Well the game had some nice ideas but it just didn't excecute them well". I've certainly played plenty of games like that. But Other M isn't one of those. It didn't, to me, have much positive going on in the first place to build from. It just wasn't a very good game. The only real positive I'd give it, is that "for the Wii" (or for that gen period), the graphics were fairly nice to look at. Not EVERYWHERE, there were some shit ugly areas in the game. But in general it did look nice.

But that's about it. I can appreciate if for whatever reasons you and others liked it. But I simply didn't. And trust me, I don't enjoy that I hate that game so much. I was bitterly disappointed. The only reason that I was MORE bitterly disgusted with Star Fox: Assault on GC, is because the early trailers that only showed the first two (good) levels of the game, fooled me into believing that it would be the worthy SF64 sequel I was hoping it was. But it turned out to be complete dogshit also. To be fair, Other M is a better game than Assault, hands down. But that simply isn't saying much. To me, Other M was a major dud, and I really hope if Nintendo ever works with Team Ninja again, it's allowing them to just work on their own new IP, and that they NEVER let them touch another Nintendo property again.