By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PSP vs GBA, can Sony do the impossible??

??

YES 163 50.62%

NO 113 35.09%

What about Virtual Boy (see results) 45 13.98%

Total:321

I wouldn't say it's impossible. PSP was moderately successful, and GBA was the least successful Nintendo handheld. And at this point it's almost a certainty. I'd be shocked if it failed to outsell GBA. It's almost impossible for them NOT to outsell it at this point. Of course, most of those sales will come from Europe and Rest of World, but still, it's only a matter of time now.

Around the Network

In the bag, and I wouldn't be surprised if 3ds can't surpass PSP.

Turkish said:
MDMAlliance said:
Turkish said:
PSP has already outsold one of the Gameboy versions. Dunno why GB and GBC are lumped together on wiki because they're not the same generation. Might aswell throw in GBA too.

If you want to do that, I think you should split up any of the PSP versions with hardware upgrades since that would suddenly be "not the same generation" anymore.  

But seriously, Gameboy color was a Gameboy with color.  GBA actually was a different system.  What wouldn't make sense is do what you're saying to do and split GB and GBC sales.  GBC was effectively used as a GB.

Because gameboy color is not another iteration of the gameboy but a whole different system. It has its own games, the games look better, it has different specs, it has COLOR.

PSP 2000 has twice as much RAM as 1000.

the_dengle said:
Turkish said:
MDMAlliance said:
Turkish said:
PSP has already outsold one of the Gameboy versions. Dunno why GB and GBC are lumped together on wiki because they're not the same generation. Might aswell throw in GBA too.

If you want to do that, I think you should split up any of the PSP versions with hardware upgrades since that would suddenly be "not the same generation" anymore.  

But seriously, Gameboy color was a Gameboy with color.  GBA actually was a different system.  What wouldn't make sense is do what you're saying to do and split GB and GBC sales.  GBC was effectively used as a GB.

Because gameboy color is not another iteration of the gameboy but a whole different system. It has its own games, the games look better, it has different specs, it has COLOR.

It was only used for faster cache, games didnt use it for extra graphical stuff.

pezus said:

2.85m vs. 15.26m in "rest of the world" sure tells us a lot, doesn't it? Mindblowing expansion Sony brought with them to the smaller and/or poorer countries

Definitely.

I agree that this is a no brainer, I honestly think PSP might even outsell the 360.

I also agree with those saying 3DS won't match PSP, will end in to 70m's I'd say.

PSP was a very successful console.

Around the Network

So the difference in specs itself is irrelevant. Now tell me, can you put a PS3 game in a PS2 and play a different version of it? How about playing a PS2 game on a PS1? Ever tried cramming a Vita cartridge into a PSP? I assure you that no Wii U game can be run in a Wii nor can any Wii game fit into a GameCube and so on.

What's special about the relationship between the GameBoy and GameBoy Color? How come GBC games can be played on classic GameBoys?

Turkish said:
the_dengle said:
Turkish said:
MDMAlliance said:
Turkish said:

It was only used for faster cache, games didnt use it for extra graphical stuff.

Lol whut? 

GBC games did not have better graphics than GB. It only added color, nothing else. However, if you think otherwise, I would very much like to see some examples? Please? XD

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

the psp also lumps in the sales of things like the pspgo which is a console that can't play any retail psp games, no idea why its counted as a psp when you can't stick umds in it.  all Like.... 30 or so pspgo's which sold.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Cheebee said:
Turkish said:
the_dengle said:
Turkish said:
MDMAlliance said:
Turkish said:

Lol whut? 

GBC games did not have better graphics than GB. It only added color, nothing else. However, if you think otherwise, I would very much like to see some examples? Please? XD

Any clear GBC cart. Look at the bottom right. ONLY FOR GAME BOY COLOR.

It CANNOT be played on a Game Boy.

How is this even debatable?

The GBC can display 56 colours the GB 4! Can you explain why you think they are the same please?

The Game Boy was lauched in April 1989, the Game Boy Color was launched in October 1998.
That's a 9.5 year gap with huge technical improvements.

The GBC also had many retail games, that didn't work on the other Game Boys. Sure, it could also play all other Game Boy modules, but that's backward compatibility.

No matter how Nintendo categorises it, the GBC was the successor of the Game Boy, not the same handheld generation.

The DSi on the other hand had no retail games, that didn't work on the other DS models. The DSi enhancements of some titles were minor improvements, no system sellers. The downloadable DSi games also were smaller "indie" titles, no must-haves.