By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PSP vs GBA, can Sony do the impossible??

??

YES 163 50.62%

NO 113 35.09%

What about Virtual Boy (see results) 45 13.98%

Total:321

It will be close for sure. I think it will just miss the mark by like 200k since VGC may stop tracking it sometime this year.

I will say this though, even if it doesn't beat the GBA I still think it will outsell 3DS by a million or two.

PSN: extremeM

PlayStation Vita Japanese Software Sales (Media Create Physical/ Famitsu Digital)

Around the Network
Turkish said:
retroking1981 said:
Turkish said:
PSP has already outsold one of the Gameboy versions. Dunno why GB and GBC are lumped together on wiki because they're not the same generation. Might aswell throw in GBA too.

It doesn't:

Units sold Worldwide: 118.69 million (including Game Boy (Play it Loud!), Game Boy Pocket, Game Boy Light and Color units)
Game Boy: 87.66 million
Game Boy Color: 31.03 million

So contrats to Sony on the PSP outselling a Nintendo Portable which happened about 2007/8?

Also of note, the fifth generation was the only one where a Nintendo home console outsold its handheld, N64>GBC.

Why are you linking wikipedia when I asked in my first comment why they are lumped together. GBC is not another iteration of the Gameboy, it is a whole new handheld with better graphics.

I'm agreeing with you that they're not one console, I linked wiki because you said they lump them together but they also give a breakdown of each system.

Anyway, I don't get the whole GB and GBC are the same thing. They have different specs and GB doesn't play GBC games. How it that the same console?

Imo Nintendo lumping them together was just a way to inflate the numbers in a bid to try and beat Sony as the first company to sell 100m units of a single console.

How and why people have accepted it is beyond me, to put it blunt its bollocks.

ganoncrotch said:
supernihilist said:
lol at Sony fans in full defense mode,,,,

GBA sold the same in much less time is that so hard to accept?

PSP sold that much because of easy hacking and because Sony is milking it cause Vita is not really flying off the shelves.

If Vita had been a hit PSP would be dead long ago.
They are selling it for 99$ with multiple games for the love of god.
I even bought myself one.

There was also the GBA, GBAsp, the GBAsplite and the GBAmicro many of which sold around the 99dolla...

yeah. when the system is 130 at launch is hard for it not to fall to 99

Thing is PSP is a disc based Portable PS2 selling for 99$ bundled with 3-4 games?

see theres a difference?

retroking1981 said:
Turkish said:
retroking1981 said:
Turkish said:
PSP has already outsold one of the Gameboy versions. Dunno why GB and GBC are lumped together on wiki because they're not the same generation. Might aswell throw in GBA too.

It doesn't:

Units sold Worldwide: 118.69 million (including Game Boy (Play it Loud!), Game Boy Pocket, Game Boy Light and Color units)

So contrats to Sony on the PSP outselling a Nintendo Portable which happened about 2007/8?

Also of note, the fifth generation was the only one where a Nintendo home console outsold its handheld, N64>GBC.

Why are you linking wikipedia when I asked in my first comment why they are lumped together. GBC is not another iteration of the Gameboy, it is a whole new handheld with better graphics.

I'm agreeing with you that they're not one console, I linked wiki because you said they lump them together but they also give a breakdown of each system.

Anyway, I don't get the whole GB and GBC are the same thing. They have different specs and GB doesn't play GBC games. How it that the same console?

It does, actually . Very few GBC games were exclusive to the console. Link's Awakening DX, Pokemon Gold & Silver, and other GBC games functioned just fine on original GameBoys.

Around the Network
retroking1981 said:
Turkish said:
retroking1981 said:
Turkish said:

It doesn't:

NDS didnt play DSi ware games so... NDS isnt the 2nd highest selling console ever??

PSP can easily outsell it, the system can run Sony AND Nintendo's exclusives. How isn't it possible to sell +100M ?

the_dengle said:
retroking1981 said:
Turkish said:
retroking1981 said:
Turkish said:

It doesn't:

It does, actually . Very few GBC games were exclusive to the console. Link's Awakening DX, Pokemon Gold & Silver, and other GBC games functioned just fine on original GameBoys.

Theres loads more that don't.

GBC games came in two forms:

Black carts that were b/c with the GB. I'm guessing these were made to bridge the gap between the two systems and not to alienate the GB owners.

Clears carts that were GBC only and not compatible with the GBC.

The GBC could display up to 56 colours from a palette of 32,768 compared to 4 shades of 'gray' for the GB

The GBC had a 8 MHz 8-bit Zilog Z80 processor compared to the 4.19 MHz 8-bit custom Sharp LR35902 processor in the GB

The GBC had up to 16kb of VRAM compared to only 8kb in the GB

I've honestly never got the argument here.

ktay95 said:
retroking1981 said:
Turkish said:
retroking1981 said:
Turkish said:

It doesn't:

NDS didnt play DSi ware games so... NDS isnt the 2nd highest selling console ever??

Nope, Nintendo taking the piss AGAIN. DS and DSi also have different specs, although I'm not sure that was ever used for software outside the original DS not having the DSi shop.

MDMAlliance said:
Turkish said:

If you want to do that, I think you should split up any of the PSP versions with hardware upgrades since that would suddenly be "not the same generation" anymore.  

But seriously, Gameboy color was a Gameboy with color.  GBA actually was a different system.  What wouldn't make sense is do what you're saying to do and split GB and GBC sales.  GBC was effectively used as a GB.

Because gameboy color is not another iteration of the gameboy but a whole different system. It has its own games, the games look better, it has different specs, it has COLOR.