By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - This weeks numbers

I was already wondering about the european numbers and the big drop in Wii sales there: <a href="http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=17933#end">thread about this</a>. But now are american numbers in, and there the Wii is on the last place, even behind the PSP. What's wrong? Is Wii a fad or are there growing piles of Wii's in storages for the Smash-release?

The second interesting thing is, that the PS3 managed to outsell X360. In the USA!

The tense is growing: what will happen in Japan? 

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

The going theory is that Nintendo's stocking up for the US release of SSB:B. Which has some merit, really; it's basically their most hyped game for the Wii. Given how many systems they're making a month, factored with how many systems they have put out on shelves the last six weeks, it's a safe estimate that there should be between 300,000 and 500,000 Wiis available new for sale in the US during the launch week of Brawl.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Anyone wanna try to predict, what surprise Japan has to offer? I don't want, because this week sales seem to be that strange, that any prediction may be wrong. Hmm, anyone sees X360 as the top-selling console this week in Japan?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Mnementh said:

I was already wondering about the european numbers and the big drop in Wii sales there: thread about this. But now are american numbers in, and there the Wii is on the last place, even behind the PSP. What's wrong? Is Wii a fad or are there growing piles of Wii's in storages for the Smash-release?

The second interesting thing is, that the PS3 managed to outsell X360. In the USA!

I'm so sick of people automatically saying that the Wii is a fad if it didn't outsell everything else or didn't sell an insane number of units.

Even if you don't think it's a fad the fact that you still list it is just stupid. 

The weekly preview for Japan suggests that we should see between 70,000 and 80,000 Wii systems sold in Japan this week. Seems reasonable enough to me.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Around the Network
Sky Render said:
The going theory is that Nintendo's stocking up for the US release of SSB:B. Which has some merit, really; it's basically their most hyped game for the Wii. Given how many systems they're making a month, factored with how many systems they have put out on shelves the last six weeks, it's a safe estimate that there should be between 300,000 and 500,000 Wiis in circulation during the launch week of Brawl in the US.

Yes, it seems the most plausible theory, that there is huge stockpiling for Smash's release. These numbers hint at gigantic Wii-numbers in the Smash-week./p>

twesterm said:
Mnementh said:

I was already wondering about the european numbers and the big drop in Wii sales there: thread about this. But now are american numbers in, and there the Wii is on the last place, even behind the PSP. What's wrong? Is Wii a fad or are there growing piles of Wii's in storages for the Smash-release?

I'm so sick of people automatically saying that the Wii is a fad if it didn't outsell everything else or didn't sell an insane number of units.

Even if you don't think it's a fad the fact that you still list it is just stupid.

I listed the fad as a joke. A single week doesn't let me believe the Wii is a fad. But it was so constantly said, that I cannot other to say it on this weeks numbers.

The North American drop off is even more dramatic :( I know Nintendo has said many, many times that they don't stockpile but I'm kind of hoping that's what's going on... The Japanese results will be up soon, and if they decline drastically there then I'm going to start to get worried.

I think Nintendo may be 'probing' during this normally slow time to see how much demand is out there. They'll make a huge mass shipment like last week's America shipment, and if it still sells out instantly, then they have a good idea of where they have the most demand. Their average over the last two weeks in America is 130,000 a week. They could have shipped 130,000 a week, and it would have been plenty respectable, but I think they wanted to try for this big push to see how quickly it would get gobbled up.

yup...the wii is just a fad uh-huh, uh-huh :P (j/k..j/k)

but seriouslly, the wii is selling great and is by far leading sales on a weekly basis ww. and low sales is more of a supply constraint.

my look at jap sales
wii - 80k
ps3 - 30k
x360 - 3k