By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why is domination important to you?

Why is domination important to me? Well, that means I'm doing really well in a Half Life 2: Deathmatch match, and that I get to hear the "DOMINATING!!" quake soundbyte.

It also means that I get to be someone's nemesis in TF2.

Around the Network

I want nintendo to dominate purely to shove it down the throats of all those people who post incessantly about how the Wii is a fad, will never have good online play, no 3rd party support and no good mature games, etc. all of which are one by one being chipped away at and shot down.

I also want to see the control scheme applied to as many games as possible, eventually establishing a good control setup for every genre to benefit from.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

epsilon72 said:
Why is domination important to me? Well, that means I'm doing really well in a Half Life: Deathmatch match, and that I get to hear the "DOMINATING!!" quake soundbyte.

HAHA, nice!  :)

Actually it's not important in any other way, than it pretty much defines where 3rd parties eventually are going.

NYANKS said:
Only as a defensive measure. I think if a console has to dominate, I want it to be Sony. I don't want Nintendo taking over, I don't like where theyare going. I'd rather gaming be in Sony's hands. And definitely not MS :(

To get this thread going... What's wrong with Nintendos direction? After all, it's the only way to go if you want the industry to stay alive and healthy.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

If the PS3 becomes dominant over the 360 platform, more developers will have to tap into Cell and Blu-Ray specific technical features to compete with 1st party PS3 exclusives. Almost all developers will lead their development on the PS3, which will result in better PS3 as well as better 360 games (cache friendly coding).

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network
MikeB said:
If the PS3 becomes dominant over the 360 platform, more developers will have to tap into Cell and Blu-Ray specific technical features to compete with 1st party PS3 exclusives. Almost all developers will lead their development on the PS3, which will result in better PS3 as well as better 360 games (cache friendly coding).

That makes no sense.  Why would developers making multiplatform games make them with Blu-Ray in mind when the 360 and PC don't have it?  Why would they focus on one platform that is different (Cell) when the other two platforms basically share a lot in common?  Also why would they lead on the Cell which is by all accounts the slowest to develop on and keep the other two versions behind because of it?  It seems to me that only games that started development on the PS3 and then later on a 360 and/or PC version were also decided on would actually lead with the PS3.

If the PS3 becomes more dominant over 360, it will become the lead platform getting rid of all those crap ports. However, even with a PS3 domination over 360, M$ can still just buy exclusives.

It's just too bad that Sony didn't just go with a standard processor rather than bringing in the Cell and creating headaches, problems, and wasted time and money for developers. Why re-invent something that was working great to begin with? We likely would have been playing Grand Theft Auto 4 by now and who knows how many other great games if the developers weren't holding them back to try to get the PS3 version up to par.

Legend11 said:
MikeB said:

That makes no sense. Why would developers making multiplatform games make them with Blu-Ray in mind when the 360 and PC don't have it? Why would they focus on one platform that is different (Cell) when the other two platforms basically share a lot in common? Also why would they lead on the Cell which is by all accounts the slowest to develop on and keep the other two versions behind because of it? It seems to me that only games that started development on the PS3 and then were later on moved over to the 360 and/or PC would actually have started development on the PS3.

You can still add PS3 specific enhancements using the advantages of Blu-Ray disc, like adding higher quality textures, 7.1 quality audio (like DiRT) and additional content (like Oblivion). If your game is linear, you could span the 360 version over several DVDs.

Developing on the 360 is faster, but also yields far worse results, some of such results will yield better results for 360 ports as well, on the Cell devs are pushed to write cleaner code, the game code will run more efficiently on PC or 360 as well.

Example regarding DiRT (a multiplatform game):

"The PS3 is so fast - tens of GigaFLOPs on each of seven CPUs available to us - that high-order Ambisonics suits it very well. Most of the optimisation effort went into the trigonometry needed to go from game-style orthogonal vectors and matrices to the azimuth and elevation model now standard for Ambisonics. After that, the encoder and decoder are very fast, especially as they parallelise well, without pipeline bottlenecks like division and tight operand dependencies.

Overall Ambisonics complements other aspects of nextGen PS3 game audio, like good quality sample-rate-conversion - rather than the noisy LERPs still sadly common on PCs - plus modern psychoacoustically-modelled decompression, and phase-coherent 512 band filtering on each voice. There’s so much CPU power on PS3 that all this, and multiple reverbs, can run on a single SPU (Synergistic Processing Element, an eighth of the PS3’s Cell processor array) with time to spare.

There are six independent reverb units running in the PS3 version, versus two stereo ones on Xbox360. These are not just for reflections in tunnels or when you get close to trackside objects - they works beautifully for reflections from other vehicles too, and give exciting effects when the car goes out of control - the sort of emergent behaviour you look forward to getting when you combine several advanced systems in one game!"

Source: Ambisonia.com

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Legend11 said:
It's just too bad that Sony didn't just go with a standard processor rather than bringing in the Cell and creating headaches, problems, and wasted time and money for developers. Why re-invent something that was working great to begin with? We likely would have been playing Grand Theft Auto 4 by now and who knows how many other great games if the developers weren't holding them back to try to get the PS3 version up to par.

Those devs who went with the cell as the lead processor (BP and DMC 4 as far as I know) have had very good results, showing that while it is different, you can produce good ports.

I think that maybe sony gambled on PS3 dominance, so that devs don't bother developing for other platforms, because they are so different from the PS3, but obviously that is not going to plan