By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - EDGE gives Yoshi's New Island 4/10 [62 on Metacritic]

Mr Khan said:
Squeezol said:
Graphics always looked terrible to me.. Also, the Metascore isn't horrible for Yoshi. I mean, Yoshi's Story doesn't have a great score either.

Yeah, the Yoshi games have never been critical darlings. Even "Island" was disliked in its day.

....I think you are misremembering things.

The GBA port of the original is at 91 on metacritic

...the boring DS game is at 81 .

That is pretty decent.

Around the Network

Not that it matters too much cause this is on the 3ds and its already successful

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Gamexplain's review doesn't paint this game as poorly.

Yup looks like the game was made sloppy. Won't tarnish my childhood memories of the SNES origional by picking this up.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

I don't like the art style at all and it looks EXACTLY the same as the SNES version (in terms of gameplay). Granted, I loved yoshi's island back on the SNES. Favorite platform right next to DKCI and DKCII.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Around the Network
orniletter said:
Mr Khan said:
Squeezol said:
Graphics always looked terrible to me.. Also, the Metascore isn't horrible for Yoshi. I mean, Yoshi's Story doesn't have a great score either.

Yeah, the Yoshi games have never been critical darlings. Even "Island" was disliked in its day.

....I think you are misremembering things.

The GBA port of the original is at 91 on metacritic

...the boring DS game is at 81 .

That is pretty decent.

I would say that's because the GBA game came out after nostalgia for the original game and it's whimsical style had begun to wax. WindWaker-esque phenomenon there.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

deadly2choke said:
so this game is almost as bad as knack...intresting

Wtf? Knack is a masterpiece :d

Not a good start for the Year of Yoshi as far as EDGE is concerned.

It's those big feet, it's all their fault for bad scores.

I'm not gonna play this if this has bad controls. I won't comprise on that but this review is the only one that claims that :/ I'll wait for some reviews here. Most other reviews claim it's not bad, just competent, mediocre, nothing particularly remarkable, still might give it a shot if the controls are alright. Most other reviews said they're tight. Heard the tilt controls are kind of tough though. They seriously need to fix the music and art style though the music sounds awful and the art style is trying to do too much and ended up doing nothing right, and those feet are too damn big.

I never liked Yoshi's Island, but this didn't appeal much anyway. The general comm. complaints were always that graphics were shit, and gameplay seemed unchanged.

That's kind of whats said in the review anyway.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.