By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Will Xbox One overtake PS4 lifetime consoles Sales in North America?

squibbfire said:
GotBoth said:

This statment is highly condesending. If I were a company and I was dominated in a region the last hardware cycle my goal would be to gain ground (not even to win) the next cycle.  So if Sony even wins by a small margin or loses by a small margin it is a win for Sony and loss for Microsoft.

OT:  PS4s wont stop selling so even if Xbox sells 250,000 north america, the gap wont be 100,000.  And as I have said, most titanfall fans already own an Xbox (including myself).  It is the first must have game of this generation.  But hardcore Xbox fans already have their X1 (or a PS4 if they switched).  The only way Xbox outsells PS4 in US is if PS4 continues to have stock issues.

Agreed....but i dont know if titan fall is going to be a must have game ...It depends on how well people like the gameplay when they see others play it.

word-of-mouth marketing .... Titan Fall as the potential to be that game.

Around the Network
TheGoldenBoy said:
binary solo said:
TheGoldenBoy said:
binary solo said:
I say we will know the most likely generation winner for USA in June. Though if it's still close it may take at least another year and at least one price cut for each console to be sure. So is it possible? yes. But PS4 staying ahead seems more likely.

I don't know about June. I personally don't think we'll be completely sure until Uncharted and Halo 5 release. They're the real system sellers for Sony and Microsoft and will have a huge impact on the console race in NA.

But they will largely cancel each other out. The essence of the winning and losing of the console wars is maintaining a higher baseline demand. We should have a pretty good handle on that by June. If NPD shows PS4 with substantial leads for March, April, May, June it means PS4 baseline demand is higher than Xb one and the ups and downs of popular exclusives will mostly balance out. OTOH if the March-June NPDs are all close then it means future developments will determine who gets the long term edge.

Halo is a different beast in NA. From this site it almost sold more in NA (6.19 million) then Uncharted 3 did WW (6.28 million). I'm just saying that it's really hard to definitively say who will win NA when the two biggest franchises of the console haven't released.

Xbox 360

The top-selling Xbox 360 games (all figures in millions of units sold-through since launch).

PosGameYearGenrePublisherNorth AmericaEuropeJapanRest of WorldGlobal
1. Kinect Adventures! 2010 Misc Microsoft Game Studios 14.42 4.70 0.24 1.59 20.94
2. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 2011 Shooter Activision 8.68 4.09 0.13 1.27 14.17
3. Call of Duty: Black Ops 2010 Shooter Activision 9.27 3.54 0.11 1.07 13.99
4. Grand Theft Auto V 2013 Action Take-Two Interactive 7.88 4.44 0.04 1.12 13.48
5. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 2009 Shooter Activision 8.36 3.48 0.08 1.26 13.18
6. Call of Duty: Black Ops II 2012 Shooter Activision 7.72 3.96 0.05 0.86 12.60
7. Halo 3 2007 Shooter Microsoft Game Studios 7.80 2.76 0.13 1.18 11.88
8. Grand Theft Auto IV 2008 Action Take-Two Interactive 6.51 3.01 0.14 0.99 10.65
9. Halo: Reach 2010 Shooter Microsoft Game Studios 6.83 1.87 0.08 0.75 9.53
10. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 2007 Shooter Activision 5.74 2.30 0.13 0.87 9.03
11. Halo 4 2012 Shooter Microsoft Game Studios 6.19 2.04 0.04 0.68 8.96
12. Call of Duty: Ghosts 2013 Shooter Activision 5.45 2.13 0.03 0.63 8.24

I think it's FPS games not Halo that move consoles Call of Duty games as moved more software then Halo 3 & 4.

Titan Fall is a new games that FPS fan like myself that have grown tired of Call of Duty can look forward to playing. IT's about time we get a new IP.

Go ask the WiiU fans if any one game helped save their console.

Well, first of all, let's take a step back and really think about this. The PS4 vs Xbox One race is a 5-7 year marathon, not a sprint. So many things can happen in the next 3-5 years. I also need to remind those that don't know, when PS3 was released in Nov 2006 in NA, people were digging Sony's grave. It was $600 and it really struggled to get out of the gate, especially after the 1 year headstart that the 360 got. In early 2007 people were talking about a price drop, etc to survive. And look where we are today. The PS3 is a huge success, despite a very rocky start.

So with that said, anything is possible, but ultimately, the $100 price difference is always going to be tough to overcome.

ICStats said:
roivas2 said:
ICStats said:
Areal-Llort said:
I feel like the PS4 has more early hardcore adopters than the X1, worldwide-wise anyways. Microsoft has PLENTY of room to boost their sales, especially since PS4's price is just barely enough for Sony to make money off of. PS4 can't do price drops or they'll be selling at a loss. The X1 can sell at $249-299 if they ever plan to make a Kinect-less bundle, or they can do more price cuts on their current SKU. Even then, if Microsoft sells their consoles at a loss price, they are already making a fortune off of XBLive.. which they have room for improving that as well.

You think X1 would be $100 to $150 less than PS4 without the Kinect?  No chance.  Link if you have anything to back those claims.

You would think a Kinectless Xbox One would be less than the $399 PS4 with it having inferior hardware and all.

Yeah, but not $150 less.  When people say this kind of stuff like it was fact, what is it based on?

Even without Kinect the Xbox One would be 400$ unless MS wanted to take a large loss

Around the Network

Just America then yes

I think the question really boils down to this ... How bad does MS want to win in North America?

Can they beat the PS4 in North America? Sure they can. Sony is hardly unbeatable, in the large scheme of things they are small potatoes compared to Microsoft. But "winning" will come at a heavy cost for Microsoft, they will have to start cutting the price of the machine and soon. They will have to start moneyhatting a lot more games. They will have to spend more on marketing than Sony.

But if they want to open their wallet ... sure they can win. 

It's just a question of whether or not the desire is there or not, especially with new management at MS.

yvanjean said:
fauzman said:
Yeah. I think the X1 will beat the ps4 in Titanfall's launch week. But I suspect the release of Infamous in the following week will see the ps4 take back the lead. At this stage both games have similar preorders and I guess with the ps4's slight advantage in numbers, this will help it more.

378k titan Fall pre-order compared to 250K pre-order of Infamous: SS.... let's not forget that PS4 also as a greater install based .... more of the preorder will simply buy the game.... I'm assuming more of the Titan Fall pre-order will pick up a console. 

I can see a increase in sales the weekend March 8th week before release of Titan Fall .... 50k-60k consoles...... if i'm Microsoft I'd ship 500k- 1million Titan Fall consoles on the week Titan Fall release world wide. (500K in North America) .... If you sell half of them you got 250K in North America.

Ms didnt ship anything close to 1m bundles. Couple hundred K at most

yvanjean said:
4k1x3r said:
FYI X1 is overtracked in NA. So...

How come every time it's any consoles other then Sony's the numbers are always overtracked. Funny coincidence.

it is a funny coincedence, you're right. If you're doubting it though then you should speak to NPD because they're the ones who have the lower numbers

Yes, sooner or later. And the world will make sense again.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.