By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Will Xbox One overtake PS4 lifetime consoles Sales in North America?

yvanjean said:
chapset said:
Doesn't matter, worldwide is where it's at

North America remains the biggest gaming segment. Sony's lost it's Dominance In NA to Microsoft  last gen this is the market were Sony would really like to establish it's dominance. (Europe, Japan and the world were a given for Sony)  Microsoft Xbox One will surpass Nintendo's WiiU sales this month and could still establish itself as the most popular console in NA despite all the mistake it's commited so far this generation.

This statment is highly condesending. If I were a company and I was dominated in a region the last hardware cycle my goal would be to gain ground (not even to win) the next cycle.  So if Sony even wins by a small margin or loses by a small margin it is a win for Sony and loss for Microsoft.

OT:  PS4s wont stop selling so even if Xbox sells 250,000 north america, the gap wont be 100,000.  And as I have said, most titanfall fans already own an Xbox (including myself).  It is the first must have game of this generation.  But hardcore Xbox fans already have their X1 (or a PS4 if they switched).  The only way Xbox outsells PS4 in US is if PS4 continues to have stock issues.

Around the Network

I think too many people have been burned by the Xbox Brand.

I think it will be a long time before xbox makes a comeback. 

Let me use an analogy for you all: If a Presidential candidate was up 30+ points in the polls (Xbox up 30+ against PS last gen US) but next thing you know they are within the margin of error (ie down 5 points) a year later. That is NOT a win.

Xbox fans claiming winning US/NA by a small margin as a victory are fishing in a lake for gold.

GotBoth said:

This statment is highly condesending. If I were a company and I was dominated in a region the last hardware cycle my goal would be to gain ground (not even to win) the next cycle.  So if Sony even wins by a small margin or loses by a small margin it is a win for Sony and loss for Microsoft.

OT:  PS4s wont stop selling so even if Xbox sells 250,000 north america, the gap wont be 100,000.  And as I have said, most titanfall fans already own an Xbox (including myself).  It is the first must have game of this generation.  But hardcore Xbox fans already have their X1 (or a PS4 if they switched).  The only way Xbox outsells PS4 in US is if PS4 continues to have stock issues.

Agreed....but i dont know if titan fall is going to be a must have game ...It depends on how well people like the gameplay when they see others play it.

GotBoth said:

Agreed....but i dont know if titan fall is going to be a must have game of this generation...It depends on how well people like the gameplay when they see others play it.

Around the Network
ICStats said:
Areal-Llort said:
I feel like the PS4 has more early hardcore adopters than the X1, worldwide-wise anyways. Microsoft has PLENTY of room to boost their sales, especially since PS4's price is just barely enough for Sony to make money off of. PS4 can't do price drops or they'll be selling at a loss. The X1 can sell at $249-299 if they ever plan to make a Kinect-less bundle, or they can do more price cuts on their current SKU. Even then, if Microsoft sells their consoles at a loss price, they are already making a fortune off of XBLive.. which they have room for improving that as well.

You think X1 would be $100 to $150 less than PS4 without the Kinect?  No chance.  Link if you have anything to back those claims.

You would think a Kinectless Xbox One would be less than the $399 PS4 with it having inferior hardware and all.

Are we talking short term or long term? Short term no... Long term, the Xbox One will win NA. Titanfall will help, but the real boost will be Halo.

Current gaming platforms - Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Wii U, New 3DS, PC

The question isn't can it, but will it. I say no. Titanfall isn't XB1 exclusive. It's available on 360 and PC, so that will diminish some of it's console moving power in regards to the XB1. It will take more than just one game to change the narrative for the XB1 in the US. MS will need a series of hits along with a price cut to gain the momentum. Exclusive games will get people to take notice of the XB1 and a price cut would dull the effect of the PS4 winning the multiplatform game comparos. It's hard to justify playing more money for inferior performance.

roivas2 said:
ICStats said:
Areal-Llort said:
I feel like the PS4 has more early hardcore adopters than the X1, worldwide-wise anyways. Microsoft has PLENTY of room to boost their sales, especially since PS4's price is just barely enough for Sony to make money off of. PS4 can't do price drops or they'll be selling at a loss. The X1 can sell at $249-299 if they ever plan to make a Kinect-less bundle, or they can do more price cuts on their current SKU. Even then, if Microsoft sells their consoles at a loss price, they are already making a fortune off of XBLive.. which they have room for improving that as well.

You think X1 would be $100 to $150 less than PS4 without the Kinect?  No chance.  Link if you have anything to back those claims.

You would think a Kinectless Xbox One would be less than the $399 PS4 with it having inferior hardware and all.

Yeah, but not $150 less.  When people say this kind of stuff like it was fact, what is it based on?

My 8th gen collection

binary solo said:
TheGoldenBoy said:
binary solo said:
I say we will know the most likely generation winner for USA in June. Though if it's still close it may take at least another year and at least one price cut for each console to be sure. So is it possible? yes. But PS4 staying ahead seems more likely.

I don't know about June. I personally don't think we'll be completely sure until Uncharted and Halo 5 release. They're the real system sellers for Sony and Microsoft and will have a huge impact on the console race in NA.

But they will largely cancel each other out. The essence of the winning and losing of the console wars is maintaining a higher baseline demand. We should have a pretty good handle on that by June. If NPD shows PS4 with substantial leads for March, April, May, June it means PS4 baseline demand is higher than Xb one and the ups and downs of popular exclusives will mostly balance out. OTOH if the March-June NPDs are all close then it means future developments will determine who gets the long term edge.

Halo is a different beast in NA. From this site it almost sold more in NA (6.19 million) then Uncharted 3 did WW (6.28 million). I'm just saying that it's really hard to definitively say who will win NA when the two biggest franchises of the console haven't released.