By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Battle of the Titans: What was more influential to the gaming industry, Mario 64 or GTA3?

what was more influential?

Mario 64 206 60.95%

GTA3 109 32.25%

See Results 22 6.51%

Total:337
MikeRox said:
ktay95 said:
SM64, its what influenced the barrage of 3D platformers we had that gen and the next. GTA3 inspired what?? GTA:SA. We really didnt see the open world genre take off until the 7th gen and now 8th gen and that wasnt because of GTA3 but newer GTAs

True Crime and Saints Row :P

Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Assassins Creed, Fable, there is a pretty big list of games that aren't even associated with the same style of play as GTA and I could keep going. Its also true that Games like Fallout and ES series were open world before GTA3 came out but it was GTA that set the trend in different, and more accessible fashion.

Around the Network

SM64. Easily.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

chapset said:
I don't understand how mario is winning, gta 3 pretty much set the standard for open world games, a market that keeps growing, we got more and more of them mean while the only ones doing 3D platforming is Nintendo

Because even open world games... including GTA3... borrow from Mario 64.

It's like asking who's had more influence on the modern world.  Socrates or Plato?

Super Mario 64, easily.

It goes far beyond influence on a particular genre. SM64 had a massive impact on 3rd person z-axis gaming in general and the entire structure of its design was influential to what games (including GTA3) became, regardless of genres.

Alpha Waves and Jumping Flash may have preceded SM64, but few games (Pong, Pac Man, SMB, Wii Sports) have had such an impact on the future of the industry the way SM64 did.

DevilRising said:
I don't think there's really much of an argument to be made here.

One game helped establish a "new" genre of so-called "Sandbox" games.

The other literally showed everyone else how to do 3D gaming correctly.

You tell me which one had the bigger impact.

GTA 3 had the bigger impact. Mario 64 showed everyone how to do 3D gaming correctly but we're talking about influence, not who's is better and who's is worse. Open world games are MUCH more popular and have only gotten bigger and bigger.  GTA 5 just released last year to record-breaking sales smashing expectations. Mario 64 sold 11.89 million units and not many, if any, 3D platformers have passed the success seen by Mario 64. I just don't see the comparison, I'm sorry. Not to take anything away from Mario 64 considering it was the game that did everything right but I don't see the influence when 3D platformers are hardly ever released compared to open world games like ES, Fallout, Assassins Creed and the likes.

I know there were many other factors at play during the PS2 days but for anyone who wasn't gaming yet at that time it was GTA 3 that helped PS2 absolutely dominate that generation. That is the influence that GTA 3 had. The PS2 was the console to own simply because GTA 3 was on it. Not only do sales reflect that but so do the amount of open world games that were released shortly after and are still being released plentiful to this very day.

Around the Network

GTA 3, no question about it. It had one of the longest lasting game design and cultural impact that a game can ever hope to achieve.

There where plenty of open world and fairly decent 3D games before Mario 64. I always believed that it was one of the most overrated games ever created. Now Galaxy is a totally different beast

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

A_C_E said:

GTA 3 had the bigger impact. Mario 64 showed everyone how to do 3D gaming correctly but we're talking about influence, not who's is better and who's is worse. Open world games are MUCH more popular and have only gotten bigger and bigger.  GTA 5 just released last year to record-breaking sales smashing expectations. Mario 64 sold 11.89 million units and not many, if any, 3D platformers have passed the success seen by Mario 64. I just don't see the comparison, I'm sorry. Not to take anything away from Mario 64 considering it was the game that did everything right but I don't see the influence when 3D platformers are hardly ever released compared to open world games like ES, Fallout, Assassins Creed and the likes.

I know there were many other factors at play during the PS2 days but for anyone who wasn't gaming yet at that time it was GTA 3 that helped PS2 absolutely dominate that generation. That is the influence that GTA 3 had. The PS2 was the console to own simply because GTA 3 was on it. Not only do sales reflect that but so do the amount of open world games that were released shortly after and are still being released plentiful to this very day.

Er, I feel like you don't know what influence means.

Those open world games are by and large 3D right?

Including GTA3....

right?

Most every game GTA influenced...

Mario 64 has influenced... plus pretty much every 3D game that exists.  Or at least most of the good ones.

Pretty much any 3D game that isn't fixed camera.

It's not even close. Super Mario 64. The reasons have been stated already on this thread.

Current gaming platforms - Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Wii U, New 3DS, PC

Kasz216 said:
A_C_E said:

Er, I feel like you don't know what influence means.

Those open world games are by and large 3D right?

Including GTA3....

right?

Most every game GTA influenced...

Mario 64 has influenced... plus pretty much every 3D game that exists.  Or at least most of the good ones.

Pretty much any 3D game that isn't fixed camera.

I don't know what influence is? Mario 64 was a 3D Platformer that released in 1996, 5 years before GTA3, yet it wasn't until GTA 3 released that open world games caught on like a plague. That's the difference between Mario 64 and GTA 3, GTA 3 influenced open world games and the proof is in the timeline.

Don't try to make an point so vague next time, I mean you just suggested that Mario 64 influenced all 3D games because it came out first...I'm sure you can do better than that. Its pretty common knowledge that the Arkham series, Assassins Creed series, Saints Row series, Elder Scrolls series, Fallout series would not exist if it wasn't for GTA 3.

Edit - And Mario 64 was far from the first game to use an un-fixed camera, come on...

(people here do realise Mario 64 was more of a 3D exploration adventure game with some platform elements right? Probably not cos those questioning 64's relevance and impact on modern gaming probably haven't played it and are just making assumptions)

The answer is simple for many reasons but here is just one- Mario 64 paved the way for Ocarina of Time, so do the maths kids.