By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Battle of the Titans: What was more influential to the gaming industry, Mario 64 or GTA3?

what was more influential?

Mario 64 206 60.95%

GTA3 109 32.25%

See Results 22 6.51%

Total:337

Shenmue, Crazy Taxi, Driver, Super Mario 64, Zelda OoT are open world games preceding GTA3.

''Hadouken!''

Around the Network
Augen said:
Technically? Mario 64
Culturally? Grand Theft Auto 3

Mario 64, despite being my least favorite Mario main line game basically showed the industry "here is how moving 360 degrees in a three dimensional space as well as manage the camera.

GTA3 to me when the less stereotypical gamers dominated the industry zeitgeist and we moved towards what is now the Call of Duty culture of massive 8 digit sales expectations.

Spot on.

Ka-pi96 said:
Considering platformer games are dying out and there are more and more open world games, GTA 3 has had the biggest influence.

SM64 influenced gaming in general. Not only one genre of course.

''Hadouken!''

The Last of Us.

Ka-pi96 said:
Ajax said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Considering platformer games are dying out and there are more and more open world games, GTA 3 has had the biggest influence.

SM64 influenced gaming in general. Not only one genre of course.

Regardless GTA 3 has certainly had the longer lasting influence.

You seem to underestimate SM64's impact. 

Not only where its graphics ground-braking, but just as well its design and controls. Its open world design and 3-axis free control and camera.

"In an interview with The New York TimesRockstar Games head writer and VP of creativity Dan Houser, when asked about influence from other games stated, "Anyone who makes 3D games who says they've not borrowed something from Mario or [The Legend of Zelda] [on the Nintendo 64] is lying."

''Hadouken!''

Around the Network

I'd say Mario 64 even influenced GTA3.

And with that said, there was an episode of Robot Chicken where GTA and Mario collided. Peace out, bitches.

Mario 64 easy.
that blew my mind when i first played it.

GTA was just more controversial.

http://moongypsy.bandcamp.com/ ~Thank you Stefl1504 for the amazing sig~

Super Mario 64 for me. It led the great migration from 2D sprites to 3D polygons and introduced a revolutionary analog control scheme and camera. It allowed unprecedented freedom of movement and freedom of control.

GTAIII is certainly influential, but I don't think it can compete with Mario 64. The only game I can think of that comes close is the original Legend of Zelda.

Augen said:
Technically? Mario 64
Culturally? Grand Theft Auto 3

Mario 64, despite being my least favorite Mario main line game basically showed the industry "here is how moving 360 degrees in a three dimensional space as well as manage the camera.

GTA3 to me when the less stereotypical gamers dominated the industry zeitgeist and we moved towards what is now the Call of Duty culture of massive 8 digit sales expectations.

This is the correct answer.

People do forget too in a lot of ways, Mario 64 was the first "big" 3D game to use an analog stick too for a lot of people. I can't speak for everyone but I doubt very many people had used an analog stick before then in a video game (and yes I'm well aware Sega did shoe-horn in a new analog controller for NiGHTS at the last minute). 

Though GTA3 shaped in a lot of ways what the industry is today. 

But "influential" doesn't neccessarily mean better. I think people are confusing the two in this thread. 

The first Mortal Kombat for example is one of the most influential games in history (it basically forced the creation of the ratings system and ushered in the age of hyper-violent console gaming), but I wouldn't call it one of the best. 

GTAIII. It was a key point on the road to big-budget, cinematic, gritty realistic gaming that dominates The Industry.

Platforming did nothing but decline in sales after Mario 64. It should have been the start of a competition of n increasingly refinement between Nintendo and others, but really only Nintendo has kept making state-of-the-art platformers. Nothing competed with Sunshine or Galaxy.