By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Did Microsoft Put Secret Sauce in Xbox One? DX12 May Allow Xbox One To Save GPU Time, Render Ray Tracing, SuperFog And Custom Effects

DirectX 12 is to face the mobile market battle.

Around the Network

How come xbox one is destined to have numerous secret sauces (esram, power of the cloud, magic) whike the ps4 doesnt have any tricks upits sleeve or even the ability to improve over time?

Will be interresting to see where this is going. I don't expect a lot of improvement other than some added effects and better framerate and resolution. Sony doesn't use DirectX.

There is no secret sauce. Direct X isn't any better than OpenGL and perhaps mantle (don't know too much about that). Just let it go. If graphics are oh ao important to you, just get a PS4. Otherwise keep gaming and having fun.

Seriously, I can't hear it anymore. Just how many articles have we seen about Xbox One secret sauce and forced parity? Did just a single one of thise bagillions turn out to be true? No? Thanks, end of story.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

whatever said:
I thought the cloud was the answer.

What does that have to do with anything?  You still need software.

Around the Network
dyremose said:
How come xbox one is destined to have numerous secret sauces (esram, power of the cloud, magic) whike the ps4 doesnt have any tricks upits sleeve or even the ability to improve over time?

Esram, cloud and Direct X is not secret sauce.  As for ps4 tricks killzone mp just happened.

NobleTeam360 said:
Cool, looking forward to Direct X12 on X1.

This forum pains me.

Direct X12 WILL NOT WORK ON XBOX ONE. It is a machine for Direct X11, and it is something you cannot change. Done.

tres said:
whatever said:
I thought the cloud was the answer.

What does that have to do with anything?  You still need software.

Because all these "secret sauce" articles are silly.  As if there is some magic that MS can pull off to somehow offset its weaker hardware and achieve parity with the PS4.  They put out a weaker system, it's not the end of the world.

All these "Xbox One Secret Sauce" things are non-sense. esram isn't a saving grace, the "power of the cloud" hasn't proven it can amount to anything more than dedicated servers for multiplayer (yes it can do background physics, like any dedicated server) which haven't yielded particularly fantastic results yet and likely won't, and Direct X 12 is no different than improved APIs for either GPU.

My main issue with people thinking Direct X 12 is something to improve performance is the general history of Direct X. While each iteration offers new, unique ways to improve visual quality, I have never seen a release of it actually improve performance which is kind of important. What good is enhanced visual quality if a constant 30 fps cannot be held with it? 

With the PS4 there are no gimmicks tied to it, simply a strong GPU. The refined code for both will make it easier for programmers to create worlds and optimize performance, and sure once programmers get better at optimizing the ESRAM in the One, performance should improve. Much like them figuring out how to use the GDDR5 in the PS4 for optimal results.

I'm more curious to see what programmers can do with Mantle and other low level optimizations with the GPU. Direct X improvements should make programming a little easier though.

shane_stocks said:
NobleTeam360 said:
Cool, looking forward to Direct X12 on X1.

This forum pains me.

Direct X12 WILL NOT WORK ON XBOX ONE. It is a machine for Direct X11, and it is something you cannot change. Done.

it wouldn't make sense if it couldn't...

@topic teh cell could do raytracing

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.