By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Digital Foundry PC Chasing The 1080p60 Dream

Lawlight said:
Mummelmann said:
Lawlight said:
Mummelmann said:
"PC gaming is so expensive!"

It is if you want to last a whole generation. But 450GBP isn't exactly cheap.

I usually do about one upgrade per generation, a new GPU (and more RAM this time) and I'm set for another 2.5-3 years. I'll easily break even on the dirt cheap games and free online and get the technically superior versions of most games, not to mention the enormous library and emulators. Heck; the free online alone for three years pays for the GPU. I had my first gaming rig for four years.

I guess I could also say "you need a TV to play a console" but that's too low. Everyone owns a TV, but the vast majority also own some kind of PC, so there is that.

We're talking about the Digital Foundry build though - who knows how much you paid for yours. And I'm sure you didn't even count labour in that.

Also, the problem with PC is the lack of PS+ where, for $50 a year, you build a library that includes by thousands of dollars in value per year. Obviously, it's still early days for the PS4.

And, on top of that, no Sony exclusive on the PC :/

Well, I hear ya, I always have at least one console in addition to the PC. Partly due to exclusives and partly due to my preference in some genres, racing games and fighting games are always cooler to play on consoles, better controls, huge picture, better sound on my system etc.

My builds are quite expensive but not terribly, certainly more than DF's though, but that's besides the point; you can still get a fantastic PC for the same price as a console. With Steam bundles and other offers, you can sometimes snag a bunch of games for nothing (like the Sqeenix bundle that contained some terrific games, 46 games for 50 euros) and games are always cheaper on PC, I usually pay about 599NOK/SEK for a new PS game and about 399NOK/SEK for a new PC game, that's a 50% mark-up on console games, you don't need to buy many for it to pay off.
I really don't see the "lack of PS+" as a problem; I play everything for free and have a massive modding community and things like "humble bundle", GOG and above mentioned amazing Steam deals makes the PC a vastly superior gaming platform for me.
Not being forced into an additional paid subscription on top of internet bills is not a weakness where I come from (yes, PS+ adds some value, but the xbox is also part of this equation).

I still resent the notion that PC gaming is so expensive compared to console gaming, especially considering all the additional things a PC does besides gaming (consoles are also adding functionality but are still years behind on this front) and the immense difference in the cost of the games themselves.

As far as labour goes; it takes me 3-4 hours to build a PC with the parts, not a huge loss and time better spent than wasting away in front of the TV all night. We're not all going to like the same platforms and that's fine, I always loved the PS brand but it sort of spiraled downwards for me with the PS3 and the 7th gen in general was terrible imo. I'll still likely buy at least two consoles this gen but I'm a PC gamer at heart and will remain that way.

Around the Network

Good Guy Digital Foundry
An authoritative bastion of unbiased information, unlike Nvidia.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

they forgot a DVD drive, gamepad and a 1080p monitor

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

kowenicki said:
Did he just kill the steambox?

Steam Machines was aways going to be DOA. This doesn't change anything..

More tech-savvy PC users will stick to PC for games. For other people, consoles and smart devices.

Skeeuk said:
they forgot a DVD drive, gamepad and a 1080p monitor

You don't get a tv either with a console, but they did forget to add an OS.
PS4 also includes blu-ray and will play games much better in 5 years than that build.

I'll wait to upgrade my pc until a couple years into this gen.

Around the Network

+100$ for OS and 100$-150$ for the monitor that would be more accurate and please don't come at me with the steam OS

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.