By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - [EDITED]Wii U owners, do not buy WatchDogs!

I don't get how that's going to help Wii U lacks 3rd party support because not enough buy 3rd party games, but then said owners punish the developers for lack of 3rd party support by not buying 3rd party games which in the end brings even less 3rd party support (Repeat as many times as possible). What i'm saying is just buy the game that you were planning on buying regardless of how late/bad the port is if you want more of them in the end.

Around the Network

I'm sure we are hoping that the extra time will be to do an enhanced wii u version that makes use of the gamepad fully. However the reality is this is not a game that will perform well on wii u and Ubisoft are probably delaying so they can re-assese whether the wii u is selling better after mario kart. If not they'll probably cancel watchdogs.

If you want the full watchdogs experience with an impressive virtual world you need to buy on ps4, xbone or even better PC. The wii u version is likely to be inferior to ps3 and 360 versions as were the assassins creed games on wii u from the same developer.

If Ubisoft do produce a brilliant wii u version which performs slightly better than 360 and PS3 plus adds brilliant gamepad functionality I will be supporting it. If however its basically the same game as 360 and PS3 without enhancement released months later when pre-owned ps3/360 versions are already available for a fraction of the wii u price then there is no way I would buy it. Why would I?

The sad thing is for wii u owners like myself who also own other consoles delaying the wii u release means I'm far less likely to buy it.

I think it will be cancelled to be honest unless Ubisoft can get some money out of Nintendo for development costs but as its a game that will likely perform badly on wii u I can't see Nintendo's motivation to pay.

Hedra42 said:
Zero999 said:

developers aren't suposed to pick sides. it's unprofessional, especially when they disrespect consumers, like they're doing.

They're not picking sides, and developers don't get to make decisions like that. Let's put this into perspective. Watch Dogs was due for release in November last year, and a decision was made to delay it for fine-tuning - a tough decision, because it meant missing having it as a launch title for PS4 and X1, and risking an operating loss at the end of their financial year. The company's share price dived by more than 25% at the time. Source

It makes you wonder what state the game would have been in if it had launched in November. Whatever we might speculate on that, Ubisoft clearly didn't consider it was up to the standard they wanted it to be at the time, and delaying it to deliver a higher quality game was evidently considered worth losing out on those things.

Don't forget, every month of delay loses money, both in lost revenues and development costs. Now they've got everything ready to go for all platforms except the Wii U. It seems to make sense to release what they have ready first, and delay the rest until it is done.

And anyway, is it fair to Wii U owners that they get a lesser version than everyone else for the sake of releasing at the same time as everyone else? Everyone has already waited. The Wii U owners will have to wait longer. Yes, it sucks, but making consumers wait for a decent product is not screwing them, and it's not unprofessional.

What is unprofessional and disrespectful is making consumers pay good money for a glitchy or sub-par game that could have been fixed if given a few more months' dev time. And clearly, Ubisoft are doing everything to make sure that doesn't happen.

(edited for clarity)

it's disgusting an will never make any sense. there's no defending it.

Zero999 said:
Hedra42 said:
Zero999 said:

developers aren't suposed to pick sides. it's unprofessional, especially when they disrespect consumers, like they're doing.

They're not picking sides, and developers don't get to make decisions like that. Let's put this into perspective. Watch Dogs was due for release in November last year, and a decision was made to delay it for fine-tuning - a tough decision, because it meant missing having it as a launch title for PS4 and X1, and risking an operating loss at the end of their financial year. The company's share price dived by more than 25% at the time. Source

It makes you wonder what state the game would have been in if it had launched in November. Whatever we might speculate on that, Ubisoft clearly didn't consider it was up to the standard they wanted it to be at the time, and delaying it to deliver a higher quality game was evidently considered worth losing out on those things.

Don't forget, every month of delay loses money, both in lost revenues and development costs. Now they've got everything ready to go for all platforms except the Wii U. It seems to make sense to release what they have ready first, and delay the rest until it is done.

And anyway, is it fair to Wii U owners that they get a lesser version than everyone else for the sake of releasing at the same time as everyone else? Everyone has already waited. The Wii U owners will have to wait longer. Yes, it sucks, but making consumers wait for a decent product is not screwing them, and it's not unprofessional.

What is unprofessional and disrespectful is making consumers pay good money for a glitchy or sub-par game that could have been fixed if given a few more months' dev time. And clearly, Ubisoft are doing everything to make sure that doesn't happen.

(edited for clarity)

it doesnt make sense to prioritize systems that actually sell their games? 

oniyide said:
Zero999 said:

it doesn't make sense to delay a game for one platform to prioritize other versions, especially when doing so would severely reduce their sales, wich would be rather good otherwise.

by the way, this was one of the worst tries.

Around the Network
Zero999 said:
oniyide said:
Zero999 said:

it doesn't make sense to delay a game for one platform to prioritize other versions, especially when doing so would severely reduce their sales, wich would be rather good otherwise.

what planet are you on. THe Wii U  version is the least relevant version of them all. It was on track to be the worst selling version of them all. So Ubi should delay the game more for a version that people werent going to buy anyway? Terrible try again please. Those ohter versions are the ones people will buy. Lets be real Ubi DOESNT need this game to be on Wii U.

oniyide said:
Zero999 said:

what planet are you on. THe Wii U  version is the least relevant version of them all. It was on track to be the worst selling version of them all. So Ubi should delay the game more for a version that people werent going to buy anyway? Terrible try again please. Those ohter versions are the ones people will buy. Lets be real Ubi DOESNT need this game to be on Wii U.

Just because it would probably be the lowest selling version, doesn't mean it wouldn't sell well. give up, what ubisoft is doing cannot be defended consumers must be treated equaly.

p.s: the responsability for the sales performance of this game is from ubisoft. if preorders seemed lower than the other versions, it is their job to fix it. something like showing actual footage of each version and a downloadable demo would help people make up their minds. that would positively affect all buyers, not only wii u owners.

Zero999 said:
oniyide said:
Zero999 said:

Just because it would probably be the lowest selling version, doesn't mean it wouldn't sell well. give up, what ubisoft is doing cannot be defended consumers must be treated equaly.

p.s: the responsability for the sales performance of this game is from ubisoft. if preorders seemed lower than the other versions, it is their job to fix it. something like showing actual footage of each version and a downloadable demo would help people make up their minds. that would positively affect all buyers, not only wii u owners.

No it wouldnt thats my point. Judging by preorders AND by even Ubi's own games it would have sold mediocore at best. So they should delay ALL versions of the game and lose out on sales for versions that are actually going to do good to appease a few thousand people who MIGHT get it on WIi U? Is that what they should do? answer the question.

Problem is there is no demo for ANY system, and others are still preordering, there is barely any footage of PS360 version and it has much higher preorders than the WIi U one. So the WIi U is hte problem not the game. Funny every other SKU is getting respectable numbers.

oniyide said:
Hedra42 said:
oniyide said:
DevilRising said:
oniyide said:
DevilRising said:
oniyide said:
OP considering the preorders the thing had for the Wii U i dont think you have to worry about it...

and no lets not use that sad install base excuse, that dog dont hunt when the PS4 and Xone versions have MUCH higher preorders

It's a well known fact that, historically speaking, most so-called "Nintendo gamers" don't tend to pre-order NEARLY as much as the PS/XB generation of gamers do.

So? THat makes my point even stronger. If Ubi sees the numbers they are most likely not going to want to support it. What you really thought that Watchdogs would have sold as well as the other versions. Cause historically speaking, 3rd party multiplats do much worst on WIi U. Hell look at MP games between Wii U, PS4 and ONE big difference and you cant even say userbase.

MY point was, that even for Nintendo brand games, most "Nintendo Gamers" tend to pick games up after they release, not go out and pre-order them at Gamestop every time a new "AAA" blockbuster title gets announced. Meaning, that most of them are not part of the "Gamestop Generation" culture.

So Ninty gamers dont preorder, thats fine. But they still end up buying their Ninty games and not much else. Recent sales show that. My point is that preorders show an interest in a game. Hell you're not even right about that. Even Ninty's own games show up on the preorder charts. MK8 is there right now. DKC before that. Where are the 3rd party games for WIi U?

My point is that at no point was Watchdogs on the preorder chart when every other version was on it.

The latest interview with the Watch Dogs producer disproves the second emboldened statement. (source link in my previous post, quoted by Kwaidd, 7 posts before this one)

As for the first emboldened statement: The the top 30 Preorders chart (which is US only) is influenced by a variety of factors, including but not limited to, install base, hype, availability for preorder, popularity of franchise, number of weeks until release, demographic, etc. To take your example, Mario Kart 8 is there at #23 because it's part of a hugely successful franchise, but would probably have had a higher placing if the install base was greater. Just because the preorders don't make the top 30 doesn't mean they're not being preordered. Rayman Legends didn't make the preorder charts on any of the platforms, and it still sold better on PS3 than it did Wii U.

But this is off topic. This thread wasn't created to discuss preorders, it is about whether Nintendo fans should boycott Watch Dogs for Wii U because the game is being delayed, or support Ubisoft in its decision and wait, because the delay will most likely mean a more polished game suited for the Wii U. 

the install base goes out the window, when you consider that there are less Xones out there than WIi Us and Watchdogs has less preorders than the former. So its not really a userbase thing not totally. As for the bolded, if Ubi games keep flopping you bet they will drop support or at least lower support. Danm near everyone else did. Never said that they needed to be in the top 30 to be preordered. BUT if you're not in the top 30 i would bet that those arent large preorder numbers. Hence Watchdogs

Rayman is not a great example, becasue 1 it actually was on the charts, for the Wii U but taht was befoer the delay. It didnt have large numbers. 2 Rayman has always been more popular in Europe. guess which company between Sony and Ninty is more popular their? 3 we dont have preorder numbers for Europe. Rayman was going to always do better on PS3. 

Its not really off topice we are talking about Watchdogs for Wii U OP is saying that Ninty gamers shouldnt buy Watchdogs for Wii U and im saying dont worry alot werent going to anyway. Im using the preorder numbers to show how little interest their is for that particular SKU. Unless you believe that Watchdogs has a chance to do as well as any of the other versions? But you dont believe that. Hell it will sell as well as UBI's other games which is not well at all.

"the install base goes out the window, when you consider that there are less Xones out there than Wii Us..." - I think you may have misunderstood my post. I said that the top 30 Preorders chart (which is US only) is influenced by a variety of factors, including but not limited to install base, hype, availability for preorder, popularity of franchise, number of weeks until release, demographic, etc. For example:

PS3 and X360 have much larger install bases and have larger Watch Dogs preorders than Wii U. Install base counts.

Watch Dogs bundles for PS4 and XOne were being preordered for the launch in November. Whether the game was preordered as part of a bundle or seperately, a significant chunk of those preorder figures were influenced by pre-launch hype and high post-launch sales. PS4/XOne preorders exceed PS3/X360 preorders, despite having a lower install base. Hype counts.

There was confusion about Watch Dogs availability for Wii U when it disappeared from Nintendo's upcoming games list in January, and Ubisoft were refusing to comment at the time. (Maybe they were in negotiations at that point for more dev time, who knows). There were rumours that it had been cancelled outright. Some GameStop stores removed the ability to preorder for Wii U. Would you preorder a game you weren't even sure was going to happen? Availability for preorder counts.

Although everyone had a firm date running up to November, only Wii U doesn't have a firm date now. As you pointed out, Rayman for Wii U was in the charts, but dropped off after news of the delay. Number of weeks until release counts.

Nintendo consoles have a more family-friendly image than MS and Sony consoles. Wii U and its predecessors have sold primarily for their 1st party exclusives. Watch Dogs is likely to appeal to fewer Wii U owners. Preorder habits may be different. Demographic counts.

"Rayman is not a great example,"  - Globally, Rayman's sales between PS3, Wii U and X360 were pretty evenly matched at 33%, 30% and 25% respectively, with the remainder shared between the others. Granted, we only have the US preorder figures, so we can't accurately gauge how preorder figures looked in the rest of the world.

The other point to my initial response to you was this:

DevilRising: "It's a well known fact that, historically speaking, most so-called "Nintendo gamers" don't tend to pre-order NEARLY as much as the PS/XB generation of gamers do."

oniyide: "So? THat makes my point even stronger. If Ubi sees the numbers they are most likely not going to want to support it."

The habitual tendency for the Nintendo userbase not to preorder (even if that is true!) would not be a realistic reason for a company to stop supporting a game. Yes, preorders provide a good indicator of interest in a game, but as shown above, they don't tell a clear-cut story. There are numerous other technical and business-related reasons that will  affect a company's decisions during a game's development, not just preorder figures.

No doubt, Ubisoft are painfully aware that sales of the Wii U version will only make up a small percentage of the total, and no doubt, that has contributed to their decision to take their time over developing it. But it is not the only reason and like I said, the latest interview with Watch Dogs' producer, which I've already provided a link to, explains why.

Its a bit of a catch 22 scenario. Dont forget all these companies that make games do so to make money, if they dont make money then they dont make games.

The Wii U doesnt have a great install base, which is part of the problem, but the other part of the problem is that the consoles power and architecture fall inbetween the current and last gen. So to get the best game out to that console means extra time and resources spent on that format. They cant just port the current gen version to it due to the difference in capabilities (not arguing how big or small that difference is, but its there). If they port the last gen version, you're ending up with a poor quality game that isnt maximizing the capabilities of the Wii U. Even the unique controller adds to the woes of that scenario.

Imagine if you started your own donut shop, and you have 100 regular customers. You can only afford to make one type of donut with a jam centre, and out of your customer 90 love that jam donut, but 10 hate jam and want custard. You only have the resources and team able to make one kind, do you make jam or custard? you could make 100 jam then cut 10 open and scrape out the jam to replace with custard, but those 10 are getting a shoddy product, and arent likely to buy from you again.

All I would say is if the Wii U version of the game after the delayed time for it to be released turned out to be a poor version of the game that hasnt been programed to optimise the system, then rightly so, dont buy it to make a point.

The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them.

Ernest Hemmingway