By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - If you have questions about Russia - come here! (Poll added!)

Di you like Russia?

Yes, I love it! 218 35.68%

No, I hate it. 144 23.57%

Russia is strange... 130 21.28%

Don't know yet, curious ... 67 10.97%

Don't know and don't care. 45 7.36%

Total:604
dahuman said:

I'm just talking about landmass, it's not we are dissecting North America and South America based on politics, economy, and religion, and most of those Eurasia countries allow practice of any religion even going far past the East in China. You have to remember that these were mapped out even before we mapped the whole world and none of this shit has been updated even though we already updated on what's considered a planet or not in our solar system already. The old system no longer makes any logical sense.

Any ideas ? Lets discuss.

Around the Network
KingofTrolls said:
Xen said:

Well - I only speak from what I experience myself in this case... and what I do see is a huge amount of the food sold here (cheeses, sweets, cookies and such) is Polish-made. I mean, enormous ratios. I start guessing "Poland or not" Even in Finland and Estonia, I managed to see rice from Poland, and throat pills from Poland. All that is much more than for example Russia can boast, sadly.

The Polish demographic numbers also seem a lot more healthy than most of eastern and even some of central Europe.

Food processing ( dunno it is good word, i mean food - related industry ) is strong here, but it is strong since 1600-1700. As ,, industry " i think more like cars, planes, chemical industry, mining etc and these are mostly possed by foreign companies or are in really big troubles. 

Second - Polish food is mostly cheap, thats why its sold well abroad. Why it is cheap ? yep :P

Demographic are actually gettin worse and worse year over year. Just like in all West countries, but we dont have a immigrantion here. Almost no social, low salaries etc. At least our coutry was not flood by muslims.

That's the case for pretty much the whole EU that isn't an extremely developed country, like the Nordics, UK, Holland, Germany and so on are :/ it also is a nice chunk of the reason Bosnia is having riots these days, the association agreement with the EU has given their industry somewhat of a chokehold.

Statistics paint a pretty healthy demographic state for Poland, though. I didn't know about the no social or low salaries thing, to me Poland was actually the example of the only old eastern bloc country (aside from Czech and Slovakia) that did things right after disposing of communism.

Well, meanwhile I enjoy cheap Polish marmelade cookies

KingofTrolls said:
dahuman said:

I'm just talking about landmass, it's not we are dissecting North America and South America based on politics, economy, and religion, and most of those Eurasia countries allow practice of any religion even going far past the East in China. You have to remember that these were mapped out even before we mapped the whole world and none of this shit has been updated even though we already updated on what's considered a planet or not in our solar system already. The old system no longer makes any logical sense.

Any ideas ? Lets discuss.

red and orange should just be Asia, and we can call them as East Asia and West Asian like NA and SA, Greenland should be it's own continent, change the Phillipines/Indonesia area to the continent of Pirate Yarrrgh and leave the rest to be as they were.

On Goblin "Poland in shambles" remark. Not being a big expert on the present situation in Poland (could imagine they're following common trend and amount of euro-optimists is decreasing), but even if imagine unimaginable situation when Ukriane in EU, they'd be happy to have this kind of shambles. After all it was 2004 when Poland entered EU, that was drastically different situation, be it 2007 when Bulgaria and Romania have joined EU -- that'd be another story, let alone now. So Poland, like Poles or not (and our relations always have been... complicated to say the least), have a loooong way ahead before it'll hit the rock bottom under the name of Ukraine. Yanukovich did the last thing to qualify Ukraine as a failed state -- lost the exclusive right of the government to use violance -- if government ain't doing it when situation requires it, sombody else will and only make it worse.

But again, remarks aside, it's still a good video with trademarked Goblin's sarcasm.

BTW he's indirectly quoting Strugatsky's "Hard to be a God": "Brown" follows "Orange", originally (not accurate quote)  "за серыми всегда приходят черные" -- black follows grey.

The difficulty in understanding the Russian is that we do not take cognizance of the fact that he is not a European, but an Asiatic, and therefore thinks deviously. We can no more understand a Russian than a Chinaman or a Japanese, and from what I have seen of them, I have no particular desire to understand them, except to ascertain how much lead or iron it takes to kill them. In addition to his other Asiatic characteristics, the Russian have no regard for human life and is an all out son of bitch, barbarian, and chronic drunk.

Statement (8 August 1945), as quoted in General Patton : A Soldier's Life (2002) by Stanley P. Hirshson, p. 650

Moderated,

-Mr Khan

Around the Network
dahuman said:

So, I had an interesting discussion with a friend a few days ago and I concluded that Europe is too small and not cut off to Asia to be an actual continent and it's actually Asia so that entire land mass should be Asia, would the Russians here agree with that? I'm just asking cause you guys are in Asia and Europe but more on the Asia side lol. I'm starting to think Europe is nothing but the tiny area's ego at this point and makes no sense on a geological sense.

If your talking pure Geology, it isn't it's own continent.

A sceintific geological model generally looks like this.

The only reason Europe is a continent really is because Europeons have dominated world history and affairs.

Xen said:

That's the case for pretty much the whole EU that isn't an extremely developed country, like the Nordics, UK, Holland, Germany and so on are :/ it also is a nice chunk of the reason Bosnia is having riots these days, the association agreement with the EU has given their industry somewhat of a chokehold.

Statistics paint a pretty healthy demographic state for Poland, though. I didn't know about the no social or low salaries thing, to me Poland was actually the example of the only old eastern bloc country (aside from Czech and Slovakia) that did things right after disposing of communism.

Well, meanwhile I enjoy cheap Polish marmelade cookies

Over 3 millions of ppl able to work, most qualified move abroad 2007 - 2013. There is less children born every year etc. Our social system, budget etc is breaking a records in debt every year. But it is a long story. In one year in UK u can make 3- 4 years money in Poland.

Czech >>>>> Poland. Dont believe propaganda.

Enjoy ! 

mai said:

On Goblin "Poland in shambles" remark. Not being a big expert on the present situation in Poland (could imagine they're following common trend and amount of euro-optimists is decreasing), but even if imagine unimaginable situation when Ukriane in EU, they'd be happy to have this kind of shambles. After all it was 2004 when Poland entered EU, that was drastically different situation, be it 2007 when Bulgaria and Romania have joined EU -- that'd be another story, let alone now. So Poland, like Poles or not (and our relations always have been... complicated to say the least), have a loooong way ahead before it'll hit the rock bottom under the name of Ukraine. 

Right. We are in better pos than UKR, but we paid a huge price for this. And yep, more and more ppl complains about EU, mostly cos economic what is sometimes pure anti- Polish. I think the whole Europe complains about EU now. 

Nobody in the whole EU will hit anything in the name of UKR. Of course can force this, but it will absolutely destroys their society supports.

Polish Russians relations are basically good. No visa program, etc. Average ppl do not support Ukraine's nev goverment - mostly cos od Ukrainian fascist there.

Do Russians learn English in their schools or not?
Do young people know how to speek (English) or are you one of the "few"?

Great thread. I have visited Russia twice. Once as a tourist in 2005 for a week and for a football match at Zenit about two or so years ago.

It's history is wonderfully strange and is a hobby of mine. I also have friends from Russia so I have a ready source for any questions I may have have. One is a historical researcher, a job I envy.

However one thing puzzles me. I saw a Neo-Nazi march (or some gathering of Nazis, they were quite a few hundred of them, maybe thousands but i had had a bit to drink so maybe I was seeing double). I think it was in Moscow.

How is it this happens when the very regime they support considered Slavs to be sub-human? Isn't that like black people in the US having a KKK rally or Jews walking around with a placard of Hitler? I know there is a strong "white front" but why bring the Nazi element into it?

Isn't such things outlawed by the government considering it's bloody and personal past?

Talking of extremities I can see the neo far right gaining power in Ukraine. The guy that pretty much started the "revolution" is muslim and can possibly be considered. I can see Obama supporting him, even if just to piss off Putin.