By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who's better suited for a price cut 360 or PS3 ?

Definitely the XBox. The "HIT" games have already been released therefore most ppl. who want to play these Hit games already have and XBox. Microsoft has gotta find a way to insipire the new customers and a price cut would beinfit microsoft the most!!!

then if they do then i will get an xbox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yay!! :)

Around the Network

Ail said:

And honestly would 300$ instead of 350$ changes things that much ? It would have to be a deep cut to attract drove of new customers...( 150$ would do it, can they ?).

At PS3 price point you can still make a case that the price is probably preventing a lot more individuals to buy one so a price cut ( would have to be 100$ again) could indeed increase the current momemtum of the console especially with Blue Ray victory ( price cut would price the console the same price as most Blue Ray players) and the incoming exclusives...

PS : There's people that study this but price has a psychological effect at certain points based on customers, they should be able to say this better than I.

All I know is personnaly spending 350$ or 300$ doesn't seem much different, but spending 250$ instead of 300$ seems a lot cheaper while if you do the maths it ain't !.

Dropping the PS3 from 500 Euros to 400 Euros( only 1 SKU in europe right now) definitly had a psychological effect because suddenly you were under the 500 euro barrier by a lot.

350 Euro doesn't seem a lot different from 400 honestly. 300 would howere mark a huge difference...( if I'm willing to spend 250 Euros, I can see in a stretch spending 300, 350 no way however...)

Actually, even a 0,01 price diference can make a subtle diference in a person's mind.  I studied this kind of situation in college.

Inside a person's mind there is a big difference in watching a 300$/€/ohter price and a 299,99 price. This is something so subtle that most people doesn't even notice. What happens here is that inside that guy's mind, he's not paying 300 for that product anymore, he's now paying only 200 and a little bit.

In my country, at launch time, xbox360 was 420€. After a little bit, it dropped to 399,90€. It's a small diference but for an untrained eye the drop seemed almost 100€. Because, in a numeric point of view, 399,90 seems to be much smaller than 400.

Now, for topic itself:

I think the 360 NEEDS a price cut. And I think that it will come right before GTA4. I think it would make sense to bring down the premium pack price to 250(249.99 lol), bundle the 5 arcace games of the arcade pack in the premium, discontinue the arcade pack and  at least put wireless in the elite and price it at a sub-PS3 price.

It would also be nice of them to bundle the charge and play kit with the console. If sony can have the ps3 at that price with all of those features, why can't the "year older" 360?

For the PS3, I think they'll only bundle the dual shock 3 and keep it at the same price. Or maybe 2 dual shock 3. I don't think they'll need to lower the price to keep selling at the current rate until the next christmas.

Isto o que vale é que como se fala inglês, ninguém percebe um cú do que ando aqui a escrever e portanto não me podem acusar de andar a dizer asneiras. HAHA

ChronotriggerJM said:
PS3 is in a much better place to drop price, not only does it benefit more from a larger install base....

Huh? How does Sony benefit more from a larger base than Microsoft?

Anyway...

I think they're both in about the same position. Sony has more experience with cost cutting, but MS has had a longer lead time with a lower-tech console.

I still expect that MS will have at least one model at $199 this year, and a second at $299 or less (the question is, will these be the Arcade and Premium, or something new?), and Sony will knock another $50-100 off their versions before year's end.

As for which one needs the cut more, I think it's MS right now. Sony weathered the XMas season well, and is currently set with a massive game lineup this year (provided key titles like FF13 and GT5 don't slip to '09) and has the potential to ride a Blu-Ray wave. MS has played almost all the cards in it's hands save 2 - a price cut, and the exclusive GTA4 content. GTA4 is likely to get a lot of PS2 owners to make the switch to a new console, and an attratively priced 360 could pull in a lot of them.

wouldnt sony loose lots of money with another price cut?
i heard it cost 700 dollars to make a ps3,

Around the Network

Looking at american numbers this week, 360 needs that price cut.

bolth

All sony needs to do is mimic the competition and they can cut the price by alot. Remove the hard drive, reliablility, wifi, and hdmi and they'll be set.

I can see why ppl say ps3

it is just too expensive compared to the others
it would be nice for them (sony) b.c they can boast that they have the cheapest ps3 yet and the most well rounded of the three that they offer(ed)

Ail said:
Sqrl said:

360: At this point I have to think that MS is holding back its price cuts as a responce to any PS3 price cut..because quite frankly they haven't done much with price in the time they've been on the market and like sony the only sellouts they've had were launch+holidays as well as a bit after the holidays as the shipping problems work themselves out.

And all of that ignores the fact that the 360 is already cheaper to begin with...which means its essentially a price cut or two ahead already in the eyes of consumers. Luckily price is not the only factor for Sony.

With the recent market swing in favor of Sony ( nothing big in NA, but things are moving fast in Others), I would think the ball is in Microsoft's camp.

They are the one loosing ground and the one that need to play the next move....

I could agree for Japan though. The PS3 is still far from being successfull over there and Sony need to do something before the Holydays over there ( but in Japan they are not playing against Microsoft).

In your last sentence you touch upon my main point. The Xbox360 is already 1 or 2 price cut bellow the PS3 and still it is loosing ground rapidly. What makes you think that being one more cut bellow would change things drastically ?

Perhaps I'm off in my thinking but I think the first to blink loses so to speak...a price cut is going to help regardless but whoever gets the 2nd price cut stands to gain the most out of it imo....at the very least I think MS thinks that because they could have easily cut price by now if they thought being first to do so was more beneficial.

Now, perhaps the PS3 is gaining ground on the 360 right now, but keep in mind that the PS3 is still further behind right now than when they launched. So really, I don't think MS is feeling the heat or pressure in any way. If you're interested in the numbers, the 360 had ~5.2m units sold LTD the week before the PS3 launched, and the 360 is currently ahead of the PS3 by 6.9m...so I think they have good reason to be unconcerned for now.

As for the question in your last sentence, what gave you the impression that I think a price cut would change things drastically for the 360? I certainly didn't say that it would, so perhaps you have read too much into my post. I simply think that MS is in the better strategic position right now in terms of current price, production costs, spacing out price cuts, etc..

On the issue of who is going to have a better year between the two, I think the PS3 will definitely have the better year barring some blunders at Sony HQ or surprises from MS HQ. But that doesn't exclude MS from having the better position with price cuts. Or to put it simply, you can win a battle and still be losing the war...although I think it is much closer than you probably realise right now.

To Each Man, Responsibility