By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who's better suited for a price cut 360 or PS3 ?

ChronotriggerJM said:
PS3 is in a much better place to drop price, not only does it benefit more from a larger install base, they're losses will be made up by software, AND they have blu-disk sales to reap, and with the much sought after High Def electronics market, this is way more than just video games lol. They have quite the initiative to drop the prices ASAP.

All very good points. My question would be are they willing to make the preemptive strike. I think they'd be best off waiting for MS to make their cut, then match it. If Sony goes first, and MS's is bigger than anticipated, Sony might have to cut again.  So I say let MS show their hand first.

Hopefully the cuts come before March 11th for the PS3 40GB since that's when the price match runs out on my second unit. 

Around the Network
Magnific0 said:
@roketpig :

Yeah, it doesn't take a genius to notice that I have MY mind made. But what does anyone else think? You certainly think different, although you kept quiet. If I didn't provide more on 360' side is because that's all there is. I'm providing facts. Some people say Microsoft will cut the price as they would cut their lawn and problem solved, I say to you: look at the facts, think again.

Okay, let me put it this way:

If MS isn't situated to make more than a $50 price cut after 28 months on market, their heads are so far up their collective ass that they should just give up now.

I think that about sums it up. Expect some pretty big news tomorrow at the MS keynote.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

What you provided as "on the 360 side" is very superficial. You mentioned a future 45nm version of the 360 CPU, but didn't mention cost of the components that go into the 360, how much margin MS might have in the current boxes, etc.

Where's the beef?

try better, this is some sh*t

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

Why would Nintendo or Microsoft cut their prices when they are experiencing hardware shortages at the current price level?

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Lets see...

PS3 - new 45nm chip which is easier to make and should have better yields (The early Cells had yields of only 30%...meaning they had to throw away 70% of them) and smaller laser which saves money.

Xbox 360 - umm...new cheaper made face plate maybe? I think Microsoft will surprise us all though...something big is happening there.

Magnific0 said:
@crumas2

are you actually asking me to LOL at you? there's no beef man. Microsoft can't redesign their mess any faster to save their ass. :P

That doesn't make any sense.  You provided little to no useful information in your comparison, then you ask people to weigh in with their own opinions.  Sounds like this is just a troll thread.

Dogs Rule said:

All very good points. My question would be are they willing to make the preemptive strike. I think they'd be best off waiting for MS to make their cut, then match it. If Sony goes first, and MS's is bigger than anticipated, Sony might have to cut again. So I say let MS show their hand first.

Hopefully the cuts come before March 11th for the PS3 40GB since that's when the price match runs out on my second unit.

Absolutely, Sony knows they have to drive the prices down as soon, and as fast as possible, you CAN'T have this many familiar hitters showing up in one year and not be prepared. GTA + GT5 + FFXIII + MGS4 + KZ2 <- not necessarily good but MUCH hyped, LBP <- ditto, and Resistance 2 ON TOP OF THE FACT that Toshiba just dropped out of the format war.

The way I see it, Sony's got the price of the unit down, they have the software to pull it's weight in gold, the competion on the movie front just gave them right of passage, they essentially have nothing but open road for miles to come, if they lowered the price, they'd be setting themselves up for insane amounts of success, a MINOR hit to hardware they might already be making profit on would be a drop in the bucket compared to the value of opportunity. 

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.