By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MS leaving the console race would be good for gamers.

No it's not, MS keeps sony on its toes more than nintendo does. Do you think the PS4 would be the exact same system it is today if MS wasn't in the race?

Around the Network

I don't believe it's good to have 2 choices... Just look at American politics. Competition forces companies to out do one another. It's a good thing.

Gamers haven't accepted Nintendo since 1996?... That's simply laughable.

Current gaming platforms - Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Wii U, New 3DS, PC

cannonballZ said:
No it's not, MS keeps sony on its toes more than nintendo does. Do you think the PS4 would be the exact same system it is today if MS wasn't in the race?

Yes.

By this logic the PS2 shouldn't of been a super computer that could launch missles, or that the 60gig PS3 shouldn't of had every feature under the sun when it launched.

Sony want to make money by selling art, Nintendo want to make money by selling fun, Microsoft want to make money.

only777 said:

Remember the PS2 era?  The shear amoutn of greatness that came out of that domination shows that Sony beinging complete control (for the second gen in a row at that point) didn't make a studios that are nothing to do with Sony put out bad PS2 games.

See? You yourself are showing why your idea is not good.

In order to compete with the total dominance of Ps2, Gamecube and vanilla Xbox had big sparks of brilliance when it comes to software. That gen justified totally owning all three consoles. You know what made creativeness so strong in that era? Competence.

Now you're saying about removing two companies and leaving only one in charge. No, no. Prepare for pure showelvare with the ocasional awesome game in that scenario, because there's no one to compete with. You can get lazy and people would still be forced to purchase your product.

Why do you think Xbox One original policies failed? Imagine being a monopoly. Can you picture it failing now?

i disagree.

as it stands RIGHT NOW™, gamers are not split between xbox and playstation...

Around the Network
PenguinZ said:
I don't believe it's good to have 2 choices... Just look at American politics. Competition forces companies to out do one another. It's a good thing.

Gamers haven't accepted Nintendo since 1996?... That's simply laughable.

American politics is such a mess because one party makes plans and the other party ruins them not because they are bad for the people, but just so they can make them look like an in-effective goventment so that they can get back in power only to have the same thing happen to them!

And yes, Nintnedo have been on a downward sprial since the NES.

Sony want to make money by selling art, Nintendo want to make money by selling fun, Microsoft want to make money.

Indeed, because of MS;

- Sony implemented the Trophies system that only is cared by idiots,

because of MS;

- Sony also got apps and became a more of a multimedia system with stuff like Netflix that only exist for lazy Americans for who walking to the nearest rent a movie business is a challenge..

Because of MS:

- Sony created horrible franchises like Killzone that only exist because Halo was so popular..

Because of MS:

- Sony had to attract gamers with PS plus with games gamers don't really want...

Because of MS:

- We see a lot of PC games now also on consoles especially WRPGS that are for gamers with no life....Shovelware really..

Sony is really great for the game industry coming up with always new franchises and never closing studios like MS did...

X_X meh..

only777 said:

Wait, what?!

Yes, I beleive that a three console race ends up being bad for gamers, and that it would be best for everyone if Microsoft would leave.

Why?

Right now console gamers are split across two systems, Xbox and PlayStation.  If this was just Playstation, then studios could take bigger risks with new ideas and new IP's when everyone is all using the same hardware to play on (i.e it lowers costs at the studios end).

But what about Nintendo?

As much as I love 'em let's be honest, Nintendo have had no real presence in the home console market since the N64.  Sure Wii sold a lot of units, but mainly to people who bought it as a one off to play Wii Sports (i.e, your nan), and now those people have moved on to Candy Crush.  However, Sony should have some competition so they don't have a total monoply plus there are enough gamers who will buy two systems as well as die hard Nintendo fans to keep them in the market with a profitable but outside share.

Say that again.

I think a Future where Sony dominate, MS leave and Nintendo are a profitable minority is best for everyone.  Studios can take bigger risks as pretty much everyone has the same machine, so as gamers we probably end up with a better selection of games.  Although if this ever did happen I very much doubt Nintendo would actually survive, but I would like to see them contine as they do add a lot of gameplay inovations.  However I think not only have the people spoken, but Sony do make better consoles then anyone else.

But by this logic, wouldn't it be better if it was only Nintnedo?

Probaby, but let's be at least a little bit realistic here.  Nintendo is out of the console race, and gamers haven't accepted them since 1996.  The console wars are going to claim another brand in this generation and it is not going to be Sony.  Out of Xbox and Nintendo, I wouldn't miss Xbox.

while in theory this would seem good to someone with now economics backround its in actuality bad, no competition well end consoles all together like it almost did in the 80s, youll have companies pushing out expensive(no comp means no price war) hardware, and the developers wont feel the need to be inovative, ie sony developers vs MS developers vs Nintendo developers are all pushing each other, you would end up seeing more sequals less new ips in the end.  its just a overall bad idea, for the record im a ps4 owner and X1 and im looking forward for the first time in a while for the new Ips theese two companies are going to push out to differentiate from each other.   The Order, quatum Break, are the two im looking forward too the most.

kitler53 said:

RIGHT NOW™

I see what you did there

Not really, Sony and Microsoft create a synergy effect, if MS were to disappear, Sony would have less incentive to improve or aim high since Nintendo are too different anyway.
I'm not a huge xbox fan but I can recognize that MS have enriched the gaming industry, especially their push for good online has been essential to the growth and popularity of modern gaming.

I want them all to stay.