By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MS leaving the console race would be good for gamers.

Leadified said:

Who is forcing games to be multiplat? 

Publishers. Making a game like Bioshock or Assissins Creed would not make enough money if it was released only one one machine without funding by the hardware manufuture.

Sony want to make money by selling art, Nintendo want to make money by selling fun, Microsoft want to make money.

Around the Network

Well, I don't care if is MS or another company, but it's better to have more than one competing. Monopolies are good only for the one that has it, never to the costumers. Even thirdy parties want more companies.

to me another "big" must enter in the race.

Click HERE and be happy 

If MS (or Sony) left, then Ninty would become more aggressive again in regards to console power and making sure 3rd parties are happy / 3rd party games NOT GIMPED on their platform. But as long as the big 2 are involved, Ninty will be out of that race (sadly)

Less competition is never a good thing.

http://imageshack.com/a/img801/6426/f7pc.gif

^Yes that's me ripping it up in the GIF. :)

Around the Network
Wright said:
kitler53 said:

RIGHT NOW™

I see what you did there

the industry will always copy good idea.  sue me.

only777 said:
Leadified said:

Who is forcing games to be multiplat? 

Publishers. Making a game like Bioshock or Assissins Creed would not make enough money if it was released only one one machine without funding by the hardware manufuture.

So why is it a good idea to have one platform then?

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
yo_john117 said:
I disagree. Even if they did end up getting out of the console business, someone else would just take their place which kind of pokes a hole in your two horse race argument.

Competition is always good for consumers, that's the reality of the situation.

Competiton is not wholly positive, it truly depends on the context.

I honestly cannot think of one negative outcome of competition in the business setting when it comes to consumer welfare. I mean, there might be a few instances where it isn't a good thing, but I simply can't think of any of them.

cannonballZ said:
only777 said:
cannonballZ said:
Boy oh boy, you believe ps2 could launch missiles.... I can't believe I just wasted my time googling that.

Maybe you are a bit too young to remember that.  The US goverment thought about blocking sale of the PS2 because it was going to be classed as a super computer at the time

Reference: http://www.zdnet.com/uk-intelligence-dismisses-ps2-missile-fears-3002083302/

cannonballZ said:

Also, PS2 was not the most powerful console that gen. They definitely got more competitive once MS entered the race.

I never said it was the most powerful console of it's generation.  Link my post where I stated this please.

I am 32 going on 33. I remember the ps2 just fine, but that was all speculation and turned into an urban myth.

http://www.zdnet.com/uk-intelligence-dismisses-ps2-missile-fears-3002083302/

and you completely missed my point.

PS2 was not the most powerful of the generation but they have made the most powerful system since. Why? Competition of course. If it was just sony and ninty, I think sony would have took a different path.

Clearly the missle thing was a joke, but you missed the point.

Sony made the most powerful system it could at the time, so powerful infact these silly stories came out.   Sure more powerful system came out AFTER the PS2, but that's a given.  Sony created a very power system (just look into PS2 coded shaders for an example) even though they doinated the industry and had no idea what anyone else was plotting.

Sony want to make money by selling art, Nintendo want to make money by selling fun, Microsoft want to make money.

well, as a gamer i like to have options. I like to see what different companys have to offer cause they are unique. I want all three to do well.

saying Nintendo is irrelevant is mind blowing. You underestimate the power of nintendo first party software.

WII U // PC // 3ds XL // VITA