By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MS leaving the console race would be good for gamers.

Theres way too much stupidity in this thread.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

Yeah the console business has traditionally never really supported three console platforms at once. Super NES, Genesis and ... Turbo Grafx 16 (odd man out)? Playstation, N64 and ... Sega Saturn (nope). PS2 kinda just ran away with that gen, but the XBox probably hurt the GameCube by splitting what was left of the market and forced Nintendo to go chase casuals, which in the long term IMO has not been good for the industry.

The Wii was the only time it really happened, but that was the definition of catching lightning in a bottle and is something that is almost imposible to repeat on cue. 

It's like saying more movie formats (Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, Super Duper DVD, etc. etc.) would be good for the industry ... no it wouldn't be. No consumer wants to have to choose between three or four competing movie formats, and I don't think they want the same for video games either. 

Less can be more sometimes.

Theoretically MS and Sony could create a cross-platform-console, since they target the same market. And that the games sold would work on either console. Which would mean that they would focus more on releasing software and not focusing on selling their consoles so much.

But when I think about it, this is kind of how it works today. All major third party games are released for both, it's just a handful of exclusives that separates them.  From the software point of view.

But I guess it's an interesting idea, that consoles would move more towards becoming PC:s, and being released within a 5 or 8 year time-span, and they would have to follow the same kind of architechture and performance. And you can choose whichever consoles you want but play all games released for either one of them. This would open up for other companies to create consoles but don't have to develop games for them. And Nintendo, MS and Sony could focus only on sofware if they choosed to.

And this would mean that multi-platform wouldn't even exist, since it's the same achitecture, so the games would play as good on either one of them. Well, theoretically of course, we know there can still be issues with drivers and hardware, as with computers.

A good or a bad move/change? Not sure, but interesting.

I love the way, MS leaving somehow = Sony Monoply over video games!
MS leaving = Sony control over the console market, that is all. PC will alway exist so will mobile.

Sony want to make money by selling art, Nintendo want to make money by selling fun, Microsoft want to make money.

um no

Soundwave said:

Yeah the console business has traditionally never really supported three console platforms at once. Super NES, Genesis and ... Turbo Grafx 16 (odd man out)? Playstation, N64 and ... Sega Saturn (nope). PS2 kinda just ran away with that gen, but the XBox probably hurt the GameCube by splitting what was left of the market and forced Nintendo to go chase casuals, which in the long term IMO has not been good for the industry.

The Wii was the only time it really happened, but that was the definition of catching lightning in a bottle and is something that is almost imposible to repeat on cue. 

It's like saying more movie formats (Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, Super Duper DVD, etc. etc.) would be good for the industry ... no it wouldn't be. No consumer wants to have to choose between three or four competing movie formats, and I don't think they want the same for video games either. 

Less can be more sometimes.

At least some people on here understand that consumer choice doesn't always mean consumer benefit.

Sony want to make money by selling art, Nintendo want to make money by selling fun, Microsoft want to make money.

Around the Network

no

Idealistically I do think ms has done more to hurt the industry than help, but I would love a sony hardware device with ms created software ie games and os, but I really dont want only one contender in the home console race as I think it would be worse for the industry than ms entering it in the first place

Talal said:
I will permaban myself if the game releases in 2014.

in reference to KH3 release date

I disagree. The main thing I think needs to happen is MS needs to get a lot ore of its own IPs. This dual console releases are what's killing the industry.

If lets say we had COD on PS and Battlefied on XONE or vise versa and other big franchises, the industry would be in a much better place.

shikamaru317 said:
That would be the worst thing that could happen. Monopolies are never a good thing.

Sure they are. PS1 and PS2 were the golden years of gaming.

bigjon said:
Michael-5 said:

Competition = Quality.

Remove Microsoft, and Sony won't work so hard to make good first party games. Compare PS3's 1st party exclusives to PS1/2's, they are a lot better.

Sure the PS1/N64 era was pretty good, but Nintendo was more competetive then with the core.

PS1 had one of the best libraries ever and it only had real comp from N64. (Does Saturn really count.....)

Saturn was as big as N64 in Japan, and got a few really good JRPG's. From what I hear Panzer Dragoon Saga is the best 32 bit JRPG so.... :-/)

PS1 had the best library because of 3rd party studios. Not 1st.........

Actually I retract my statement because during the PS1/PS2 era days Nintendo provided enough competition. Still, competition makes quality, remember how bad Zelda 2, Metroid 2, and Super Mario Bros 2 were? Back then Nintendo had no competiton.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results