By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U's eDRAM stronger than given credit?

dekatree said:
curl-6 said:

A cartoon game can still push tech.

yes it can but nobody is gonna do it, there is no market for it anymore, as long as it looks great, its just not gonna be pushing any console to its limits.

There's still a market for cartoon games on Wii U; the right dev could push that system with one.

Around the Network
Hynad said:
supernihilist said:
Hynad said:
Pemalite said:

They were fairly on-par technically.
The main advantage Wind Waker had was the Tessellated Water Planes and the fake-HDR lighting scheme.
Otherwise they both had dynamic lighting/shadowing, cloth physics etc'.

Artistically, that's up to personal opinion, where I personally prefer Twilight Princess, but that's not to say that Wind Waker was graphically simple... It wasn't relatively.

If they're on par technically, why is Wind Waker much, much easier to emulate on Dolphin compared to Twilight princess?

Will you say it's the emulator's fault?

so now the benchmark for Wii games depends on how well Dolphin runs it?

my PC runs better Xenoblade than Zelda Ww btw

You've got to be lying. Xenoblade is way more demanding than Twilight Princess and Wind Waker.

Back then, I could run Wind Waker in 1080p locked at its native 30fps on a Q9300, HD 5770, and 4GB of 1033mhz DDR3 setup. That build didn't fare as well with Twilight Princess, and even less so with Xenoblade.

i still dont know what kind of benchmark are you using to compare those games.

Zelda Ww has cel shadied textures, realtime light and shadows, cloth and hair animation...

things that Xenoblade doesnt do. you gotta remove that mindset of " it appears to be less detailed ergo it is less demanding"

curl-6 said:
dekatree said:
curl-6 said:

A cartoon game can still push tech.

yes it can but nobody is gonna do it, there is no market for it anymore, as long as it looks great, its just not gonna be pushing any console to its limits.

There's still a market for cartoon games on Wii U; the right dev could push that system with one.

it would be a waste of resources, the main market for the wiiu, is kids games and nintendo games, anybody who wants graphics, would buy a ps4 or at the very least an x1, and the market judges graphics today by how realisitc they look not by cartoony games, you can still get very pretty cartoony games though.

curl-6 said:
dekatree said:
curl-6 said:
dekatree said:

what does that have to with anything? cell shading games simply don't have the level of detail realistic games, what are the most graphically demanding games these days, do you see any cartoony/cell shading games are are pushing the pc to its limits, they don't exist, zelda wind waker was made for hardware thats over 12 years old and still one of the best looking cartoony games out there, can you say the samething for a realitic looking game.

Jett Rocket is cartoony, yet it arguably makes the best use of the Wii GPU of any game on the system, with tons of (for the hardware) advanced effects while running at 60fps.

never heard of jet rocket and it looks pretty ugly from what i seen, and like i said before, very few devs are pushing cartoony graphics, while almost every dev is pushing for realistc graphics, so far less competion.

Screenshots don't do justice to its 60fps beauty on a screen through component cables, but let's look at one anyway:

As you can see here, every surface has multilayered shaders; the floor is reflective, refractive, and specular mapped, as is the glass and water, character models are specular mapped, the cylinder in the background is normal mapped, the jetpack causes heat distortion, there's global dyanmic lighting, and it all runs at a v-sync'd 60fps.

No other Wii game so effectively leverages the strengths of its GPU.

For a moment I thought you were saying this was the best thing on Wii U and I thought WTH?

It looks nice by Wii standards.

My 8th gen collection

curl-6 said:
SubiyaCryolite said:
curl-6 said:
SubiyaCryolite said:
DevilRising said:

People that think showing pics of a game that has a dark/gritty/"realistic" art style vs. pics of a game with a more simplistic/colorful/cartoon art style is somehow "proof" of one piece of hardware being better than another, always have and always will be laughable. As in funny as hell.

You may have missed this. The new trend from your camp is Nintendo games (cartoony) don't push Nintendo hardware. I disagree based on Galaxy(Wii) and Twilight Princess (GC) but hey.

But grass in super mario is different to grass in xenoblade which in turn is different to grass in Crysis 1. Same goes for dust, fire and water. There is some truth to those statements.

All grass is equal but some grass is more equal than others. You think this has no effect on rendering demand?

"Your camp"? Would you listen to yourself?

For Pete's sake stop taking this so seriously and being such a passive aggressive fountain of negativity.

No, its a new trend, such assertions have been brushed aside numerous times before. DevilRising did the exact same thing. A lot of fans are disagreeing with you in that thread you created.

I remember you quoting every "non anymous" 2D game creator when the WiiU secret developer article first came out as a counter to his largely negative opinions. You were still firmly in lazy dev land at that point. Now you agree with him.

You argue that Trine 2 is pushing the system hardest yet its enhancements aren't a generational gap above the 360 version if the same game.

You argue that all of Nintys 60fps titles aren't pushing the system. So are you basically saying the systems best looking games will all be 720p30 and all that 1080p secret sauce theories are a Pipedream?

Basically 720p30 like last gens best games. Yet you get offended when anyone states that the machines power is barely a step up from last gen?

Where do you stand on the U? No flip flopping. In black and white. Plain and simple. Its reasonable to expect 1080p60/30 from a PS4. Reasonable to expect 900p30/60 from a X1. What is reasonable for a U.

You're missing the point. The fact that you see this as "camps" and treat it like some kind of high school clique war shows you're taking all this far too seriously, and you're making the forums a less pleasant place with your hostility. And you're projecting; it's you who feels the need to try to turn this in to some kind of passive aggressive mud flinging session at every opportunity.

The secret dev article cannot be considered gospel behind the veil of anonymity, but some of what is said tallies with what named developers have stated. So while it is not as reliable a source as a named dev, some of its claims seem to be believable, even if others are unsubstantiated. 

Trine 2 is the best technical example so far, (It's confirmed to be beyond PS3/360's capabilities) but it is not pushing the system's limits, because it's a launch title not made from the ground up. No game made for Wii U so far is pushing its limits, because there are no graphically ambitious ones built from the ground up yet.

Think about it; how many consoles were maxed out in their first 16 months?

If you'd read my posts you'd know I have NEVER claimed that Wii U will become 1080p standard. I believe as a I always have; that  (A) Wii U's larger RAM and more modern GPU will allow it to produce games with improved textures and polish over PS3/360, similar to, say, the Gamecube/Xbox's advantage over PS2, and (B) that Wii U's graphics will improve with time, just like any console, so what we've seen so far is not its full power.

And the idea that generations are defined by huge graphical leaps died a decade ago.

When will this happen? because so far the opossite has been happening, and since the gap in power is so close based on the fact that the wiiu can not brute force 360/ps3 ports, and they don't have developers that are talentede as sony when it comes to graphics or the third party support, it might just never happen.

Around the Network
Scoobes said:
snowdog said:
curl-6 said:

When you say an "evolved TEV" do you mean it's still a texture combiner unit (that's pretty much impossible given what we've seen it pull off already) or that it's simply a more modern fixed function unit, with DX10/11 fixed functions instead of DX7 ones?

The latter, not too sure how they would have done it though. We know that what we've seen so far isn't possible on a bog standard 176GFlops/352GFlops GPU on such a low wattage.

And with regards to the CPU discussion above code written specifically for in-order CPUs that handle audio needs major changes to run on an out-of-order CPU and DSP unless you want the out-of-order CPU to brute force some of the code (which explains some of the performance issues with ports).

And conina, the gap in power wasn't a huge problem. Treyarch proved this with Modern Warfare, a game that was supposedly impossible to run on the Wii. The Wii could have run downscaled ports of the likes of Dead Space, Fallout, Bioshock etc with less or even no AA, less environmental and particle effects, more geometry and texture pop-in, lower native resolution and lower quality textures if Nintendo had a GPU using traditional programmable shaders.

And the same can be said about the Wii U receiving PS4 and One ports too.

@ bold

Why not? Equivalent PC graphics cards with similar power were already pushing visuals beyond what the 360/PS3 were doing and are more or less in line with the WiiU's graphics. That's discounting the added benefit of optimisations that devs have with a fixed platform.

I find this very funny myself, especially when you bold the 352 gflops part, i mean you look at the 360/ps3 specs and the exclsuives like halo 4, uncharted 3, last of us, forza horizone and god of war 3 easily look better then baynetta 2, 3d mario world, and mario kart, but he can't undertsand how a 1.5x more powerful gpu, 2x the ram and 3 times the edram, can run those games, he's got to be a using some mario mushrooms, i can maybe understand if he said 176gflops gpu but not 352gflops gpu thats way more effeciante, even though neogaf already posted the confirmed specs, and he posts at neogaf so he knows that posting false infromation thats not back up by proof will get you permabanned quick on neogaf.

dekatree said:

I find this very funny myself, especially when you bold the 352 gflops part, i mean you look at the 360/ps3 specs and the exclsuives like halo 4, uncharted 3, last of us, forza horizone and god of war 3 easily look better then baynetta 2, 3d mario world, and mario kart, but he can't undertsand how a 1.5x more powerful gpu, 2x the ram and 3 times the edram, can run those games, he's got to be a using some mario mushrooms, i can maybe understand if he said 176gflops gpu but not 352gflops gpu thats way more effeciante, even though neogaf already posted the confirmed specs, and he posts at neogaf so he knows that posting false infromation thats not back up by proof will get you permabanned quick on neogaf.

Don't you have anything better to do with yourself, Ninjablade?

curl-6 said:
dekatree said:

Don't you have anything better to do with yourself, Ninjablade?

yes i do, but the thread just keeps calling me back.

Hynad said:
Pemalite said:
supernihilist said:

hmm no. its actually quite heavy on the GPU. Wind waker is far less demanding than TP bywhich measure?

i clearly remember WW having vastly superior animation and much bigger open wide areas

The main advantage Wind Waker had was the Tessellated Water Planes and the fake-HDR lighting scheme.

Artistically, that's up to personal opinion, where I personally prefer Twilight Princess, but that's not to say that Wind Waker was graphically simple... It wasn't relatively.

If they're on par technically, why is Wind Waker much, much easier to emulate on Dolphin compared to Twilight Princess?

Because emulation isn't the same as a target machine?

You need to understand emulation before you jump to conclusions.
For instance one instruction on the Wii may be required to be split up into 3-4 or more instructions on the machine doing the emulating, some instructions may only need to be split up into two instructions.
That's also one of the reasons why emulating a game on the PC requires orders of magnitude increases in performance in comparison to the native device to even pull it off.

It also means that Wind Waker may be using more instructions that are easier to emulate, it's not solid proof either way that one game is more demanding than the other.

So no it's not the emulators fault at all, it's the general principle of emulating that's at fault in this regard and there is no possible way around it.

If you want a modern big budget and relatively demanding (For an Unreal Engine powered game!) cel shaded game, look no farther than Borderlands, despite it using the Unreal Engine 3 engine it's still looks better and is more demanding than Unreal Tournament 3, Gears of War, Bioshock 1+2, Brothers in Arms, Medal of Honor, Mass Effect etc' etc' on the PC.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Hynad said:
Pemalite said:
supernihilist said:

hmm no. its actually quite heavy on the GPU. Wind waker is far less demanding than TP bywhich measure?

i clearly remember WW having vastly superior animation and much bigger open wide areas

If they're on par technically, why is Wind Waker much, much easier to emulate on Dolphin compared to Twilight Princess?

Because emulation isn't the same as a target machine?

You need to understand emulation before you jump to conclusions.
For instance one instruction on the Wii may be required to be split up into 3-4 or more instructions on the machine doing the emulating, some instructions may only need to be split up into two instructions.
That's also one of the reasons why emulating a game on the PC requires orders of magnitude increases in performance in comparison to the native device to even pull it off.

It also means that Wind Waker may be using more instructions that are easier to emulate, it's not solid proof either way that one game is more demanding than the other.

So no it's not the emulators fault at all, it's the general principle of emulating that's at fault in this regard and there is no possible way around it.

If you want a modern big budget and relatively demanding (For an Unreal Engine powered game!) cel shaded game, look no farther than Borderlands, despite it using the Unreal Engine 3 engine it's still looks better and is more demanding than Unreal Tournament 3, Gears of War, Bioshock 1+2, Brothers in Arms, Medal of Honor, Mass Effect etc' etc' on the PC.

sounds like complete BS, your gonna tell TP a game that came at the end of GC life, is not more techically advanced then a game that came out 4 years before it.