By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How Much Longer Can Sony Survive On Playstation Alone?

fatslob-:O said:
Arius Dion said:
Arius Dion said:
Gaming doesn't bring in enough profit to even matter. Sony is in financial ruin and everyone knows it. That's fact. Where they go from here is anyone's guess. But just because the picture isn't rosy doesn't mean the article is dumb.

Nahhh, the article is pretty dumb for the most part seeing as how the journalist didn't know that Sony wasn't living on playstation but you are right about the picture not being rosy ... 

What part did you find dumb?

The fact that this article states and argues that playstation is the only thing Sony has left is in itself is dumb seeing as how any idiots will tell you that it's their insurance division thats keeping Sony alive. The article is mostly null and void for the most part seeing as how it has an obvious hole in it.

I got ya. I skimmed through the article, didn't really get that vibe. The fact is though, gaming is a very small part of Sony's business. You know that obviously, as you've said, they are mostly an insurance company.

The other thing to factor in though, is Japans economic health..which is not good at all. I took the article to mean basically that, they were wondering which sector would/will save Sony? Sony's debt is massive, and gaming is a volitile business.

Also, remember why Sony entered gaming in the first place, to take over the living room. Times have changed, and that no longer seems to be a viable endeavor. Why stay? This is why I feel M$ is being pressured to exit gaming also.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Around the Network
Arius Dion said:

I got ya. I skimmed through the article, didn't really get that vibe. The fact is though, gaming is a very small part of Sony's business. You know that obviously, as you've said, they are mostly an insurance company.

The other thing to factor in though, is Japans economic health..which is not good at all. I took the article to mean basically that, they were wondering which sector would/will save Sony? Sony's debt is massive, and gaming is a volitile business.

Also, remember why Sony entered gaming in the first place, to take over the living room. Times have changed, and that no longer seems to be a viable endeavor. Why stay? This is why I feel M$ is being pressured to exit gaming also.

I'd argue it had more to do with Ken Kutaragi's desire to make fancy gaming tech, and the brand spawned out of Nintendo.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

tres said:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/21/playstation-sony_n_4828617.html?utm_hp_ref=technology

That is sort of the big question that most gaming sites will ignore.  That article will never touch the N4G and neoGAFs of the gaming world.  While most people are having a laughing party on the XBox One's resolution and esRam issues for now those are really minor issues.  What happens one day you wake up and  hear more Sony asssets being sold of and they're moving towards liquidation?  I know this will be taken as troll bait but it's not.  I will say this to the entire Playstation Nation, buy shares in the company if you love it that much.  Right now they have a junk credit rating.  Games cost $60.  Pretend its a game and buy 3 shares.  If 5 million people from the Playstation Nation do this thats  $180 million dollars.

Think about it.

SAVE SONY

Yeah right, like a lousy $180 million will save them. I don't give a rat's ass about Sony, they haven't made a profit for years and years because competitors are doing a better job. So let them go bankrupt, Nintendo and Microsoft are more than enough to fulfill my gaming needs.

What about their music and movies division? Ain't they doing well?
Playstation is probably a greater part of Sony than before though

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

czecherychestnut said:

That top chart is for the overall mobile market, which by recent figures is ~50% dumb phone (very low margin) and 30% ultra cheap android phones (again, low margin). Sony almost exclusively compete in the much higher margin mid to high end smartphone market, so overall marketshare means little. Not saying though that Sony mobile is all sunshine and puppy dogs, its still scrapping a profit at best, but it is improving and looking at solely marketshare is misleading.

The second chart makes the same mistake, yes digital camera sales are getting cannabilised by smartphone sales, but its the low margin point and shoot market thats getting gutted. The high end digital SLR market is basically unaffected because smartohones can't compete (and if someone tries to point to smartphone camera pixel count and say that they are competing knows nothing about photography), and its the high end market that Sony competes in. 

This has been Sony's strategic shift in the past two years, a recognition that they can't compete with the high volume low margin sectors of the market that LG and Samsung dominate, and a refocus on the high end. 

dslr are down by estimated 10 to 18% in 2013.. Even canon cut their forecast by a few million.. And mirrorless isn't cathing on.. Its expected that the dslr market will be Canon/Nikon/Sony market within 5 years.. Its not unaffected..

Sony also has low end smartphones Xperia L, tipo, the new E2 and T2 ultra.. These last 2 are specially for emerging markets like china, africa and middle east.. Sony has been a high end product manufactor but that is all in the past.. They trying to compete in every level of the market..

I'm not trying to say doom and gloom but people should look more at the context of the markets Sony has products in.. Which are competitive and hard.. It takes more for them to recover then just cutting of their tv division and sell more phones..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network
Arius Dion said:
Arius Dion said:
Arius Dion said:
Gaming doesn't bring in enough profit to even matter. Sony is in financial ruin and everyone knows it. That's fact. Where they go from here is anyone's guess. But just because the picture isn't rosy doesn't mean the article is dumb.

Nahhh, the article is pretty dumb for the most part seeing as how the journalist didn't know that Sony wasn't living on playstation but you are right about the picture not being rosy ... 

What part did you find dumb?

The fact that this article states and argues that playstation is the only thing Sony has left is in itself is dumb seeing as how any idiots will tell you that it's their insurance division thats keeping Sony alive. The article is mostly null and void for the most part seeing as how it has an obvious hole in it.

It's true that japans economic condition sucks right now but since there's alot of old people that needs insurance there could be some growth had for Sony's insurance division.

@Bold I'm pretty sure that's microsoft's idea. Sony did try to focus on non gaming stuff with the PS3 and it's earlier iterations to some extent but I highly doubt that they are doing this for the PS4. It's a little different this time around seeing as how they are not relying on a new or useful media format and the fact that the PS3 still does the whole media box thing better.

I doubt microsoft will want to leave after how many losses they have taken and plus they have a shit ton of money to keep it running LOL.

Playstation...ALONE? Most of their money comes from insurance. After that they dominate the camera market. Then they also have a very profitable movie, music, and to a certain degree phone/tablet business.

I swear gaming journalists talking about economics is often as incoherent as celebrities talking politics...

Sony has an archaic corporate structure that's still stuck in the 90s. They need to seriously shrink the size of the company and focus on their core, profitable products. Dropping TV production would be a huge step in the right direction. My guess is that there are still a lot of senior employees in these divisions who aren't exactly easy to get rid of, so it's pretty tough for Kaz to really shrink down the company. The Japanese tech giants need to lean down if they hope to compete with Korean companies and a post dot-com boom economy.

OP brings up alot of good points. I agree with him, People must be blind to not see Sony's problems.

WII U // PC // 3ds XL // VITA

Sony still has to restructure two divisions, but things are going better than in a recent worrying past.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-makes-profit-after-5-years/

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!