By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Is Halo still big enough to save the X1?

No....well not really. The rumored Halo 2 remake and Halo 5 will likely boost XB1 sales, by a good amount. Halo 5 will likely sell above 5 million (6-8 million is my guess), but will it "save" the XB1?

No, XB1 already lost to PS4. The momentum for Sony is going to build this year and XB1 will loose all popularity outside of USA. The only way Ms can ever hope to make XB1 outsell the PS4 is by making a Kinect-Free bundle and sell it for $349 or maybe even $299...

---

However Halo 5 might be enough to guarentee 2nd. WiiU isn't selling that much worse then the XB1 right now, it's still a fight for 2nd this year.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network

Halo 5 ain't coming this year, Halo 2 HD Anniversary edition is. But right now the X1 doesn't need "saving" per say, just some steady software which is coming in a couple months and a price drop. Kinect 2.0 is a failure and needs to be dropped... there's no saving it.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

The series certainly doesn't have the pull it once did. Microsoft made a big mistake by not following Nintendo's lead and only releasing one game per generation. There have been too many, and I have my doubts that H5 can 'save' anything. If anything can truly make a difference, it will be a new XB1 exclusive IP.

All I can speak from is my personal experience. All of my friends say that they think Halo 5 looks stupid, and that after 4 they are done. Now these are just my friends so take that for what you will as I have never been a Halo fan...

ktay95 said:
Enspire said:
Depends what you mean by "saving". It is going to boost its sales for sure, halo is still the biggest exclusive between ps and xbox.

You forget Gran Turismo. Its definitely bigger than Halo even if Sony are trying to kill the series by putting the new game on PS3 -_-

I don't really see gran turismo as a system seller. People just buy  it after they've already purchaed a playstation.  Halo, on ther other hand, actually sells consoles. People will specifically buy a console just to play one of the games, myself included. And this is coming from someone who bought all the GT games.

Around the Network

I'm assuming there are 9-10 million die hard Halo fans so it should move a decent number of consoles throughout the year it releases. Between 5-9 million boost that it would otherwise get. I don't think it will move many more and after all the die hards own the console, I'm not sure if another Halo afterwards will give much more of a boost.

Yes it's big enough. Even Titanfall being a new ip and also avaliable on 360 and pc is going to be a console seller for the XOne.

Don't ask me why

greenmedic88 said:
I think we need to define what sort of state the XB1 needs to be in to be considered "saved" first.

By the strictest definition, saved from the danger of being scuttled, which would essentially mean MS is giving up on their home entertainment, living room hub aspirations and the Xbox brand, there are minimal odds of that happening, despite the grumblings of various MS board members.

So the XB1 is not in need of being saved from the danger of being abandoned, but if the situation were that dire, one game would not reverse its fortunes.

If we want to be looser and say that "saved" means the XB1 becomes more than an also ran entrant in the 8th gen console race, no; Halo 5 will not prevent that from happening if the XB1 is still in its current situation as far as $499 price and limited library of compelling titles to support this price goes.

If we want to be even looser and say that by "saved" we really mean give the XB1 the lead in overall 8th gen sales, the answer is no.

If we want to say that "saved" simply means selling very reasonably (within MS projections that have not been reduced to reflect current consumer demand) as would be expected of the successor of the XB360 (which doesn't guarantee success if we look at Wii U sales relative to Wii sales), it will take a combination of factors to pull the XB1 up.

But, if we look at the PS3, it can be done.

A gradual improvement of the library, catering to a wide range of tastes, plus functions that a broader audience wants to use, improved network services and functions and just as importantly, a slightly more general consumer friendly price (starting at $399), perhaps paired with a smaller, more attractive (and cheaper to manufacture) design will improve the commercial performance status of the XB1.

Wow, someone speaking some level of sense in this thread.

It is near the end of the end....

I'm a big halo fan and a new one could possibly peak my interest in xbox one!

I think so. New generation, bigger everything, first 60fps console Halo, pro halo players on board, continuation of the (great?) Halo 4 storyline. It has a lot going for it, but I suppose its impact will largely depend on how good it looks, how well its marketed, and how well the critics receive it. Add a bundle and a price cut of top of that and I wouldn't be surprised to see XBO sales skyrocket on Halo 5 launch week.

That said, I doubt its coming this year anyway, so the One will have to look for salvation elsewhere.