Alienware Desktop 2 1.42%

Alienware Laptop 2 1.42%

Other Boutique Desktop or Laptop 1 0.71%

Custom Built PC 32 22.70%

Ouya 11 7.80%

Total:141
TheLastStarFighter said:

6.  Custom built PC

Built from the ground up with custom parts.

What should I get this year?  What is the best value, with the best games?  Also, I like cool-looking boxes.

Buy the system with the exclusives that appeal to you most, because outside of that the only difference is going to be graphics. (Where it's PC > PS4 > Xbox One)

Otherwise, I vote Custom PC, better graphics, sound, networking, can be used for things other than gaming and you can mod the case to make it look epic.
Games are cheaper, there are more games... No online paywall, plethora of mods.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

What are the specs of your PC? I would say get a decent 22nm videocard at the end of this year over anything else if the rest of your rig supports it. I'm waiting for true Nvidia Maxwell cards to come out myself.

If a full upgrade is required I would suggest a PS4 instead. It has much better price/performance than a full PC upgrade but won't perform quite as well. You also get ND games, which are worth the price of admission alone.

As a companion to my WiiU I'm deciding between an eventual PS4 or self-built PC (possibly running SteamOS).

I'll likely take the plunge later this year when PS4 has a better library and SteamOS is out and stablized.

Basically if PS has first party that seems worth it, then it wins. Otherwise I go for better pricing option that is Steam.

I have a WiiU with a PS4, very happy with both and I think one complement the other very well.

Locknuts said:
What are the specs of your PC? I would say get a decent 22nm videocard at the end of this year over anything else if the rest of your rig supports it. I'm waiting for true Nvidia Maxwell cards to come out myself.

If a full upgrade is required I would suggest a PS4 instead. It has much better price/performance than a full PC upgrade but won't perform quite as well. You also get ND games, which are worth the price of admission alone.

I'm actually not sure what the specs are, tbh.  It has never struggled to run anything, but I also haven't pushed it and it's about 4 years old.  I had a local shop custom build it for me, and at the time it was about 80% of the way to a monster machine.  The graphics card is the most annoying part - it's an ATI and has a weird quirk where it "under-heats"... if it's not running 3D graphics and the room is cold (which is an issue here in Canada) it will trip out.  I've always kind of regretted the machine because I didn't go all-out like I wanted to because of low funds and a cranky girlfriend.  Neither are an issue now so I kind of think it would be fun to go all out on a PC.

A PS4 also is intriguing, however.  I do enjoy a classic console and I have a feeling a lot of friends will have one, making it easy to play some COD online with them.  I'm hopeful that some PS3 titles that I missed will be available through download or cloud.  The early performance results on the system so far sure are solid.

When are the Maxwell cards expected to release?

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
For me, the PS4 and Xbox One are virtually on even ground.

For all of the acclaim Sony games get, a lot of the time, they just don't do it for me. Maybe I don't get it. I'm usually way more satisfied when I finish a Nintendo or Microsoft game than I am when I see the end credits to something like LBP or Uncharted.

For me, $100 is ass wiping money. I give that away to needy family memebers, steak dinners, or slutty women in any given month. Speaking for myself, personally, of course. It may be a big deal to others. And even if it was a big deal, I already have a 1 year Gold subscription so if I go PS4, I'll have to pony up an additional $50 anyway.

Now, the PS4 is easily the more powerful machine and it will get the best version of multiplats. The thing is, I watched the comparison video of MGSV on my PS3 in 1080p and the difference between even the 7th gen version and the PS4 was nothing mind blowing. So, for me, it boils down to this:

-Xbox One w/ Kinect: I like Kinect, I have Gold, I like the games that are coming out.
-PS4: Superior multiplats, cheaper price, brighter future.

I'm going to own both. There's no doubt in my mind about that. I'll wake up in the morning (working all night tonight) and if the PS4 is in stock, I'll grab that console and Tomb Raider. If the PS4 isn't in stock, I'll grab an Xbox One and Tomb Raider. I won't regret it either way.

Out of curiousity, what is it that you like about Kinect?  I've never used it with my 360.

The PS4. Cuz everyone is buying it.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

TheLastStarFighter said:
Locknuts said:

I'm actually not sure what the specs are, tbh.  It has never struggled to run anything, but I also haven't pushed it and it's about 4 years old.  I had a local shop custom build it for me, and at the time it was about 80% of the way to a monster machine.  The graphics card is the most annoying part - it's an ATI and has a weird quirk where it "under-heats"... if it's not running 3D graphics and the room is cold (which is an issue here in Canada) it will trip out.  I've always kind of regretted the machine because I didn't go all-out like I wanted to because of low funds and a cranky girlfriend.  Neither are an issue now so I kind of think it would be fun to go all out on a PC.

A PS4 also is intriguing, however.  I do enjoy a classic console and I have a feeling a lot of friends will have one, making it easy to play some COD online with them.  I'm hopeful that some PS3 titles that I missed will be available through download or cloud.  The early performance results on the system so far sure are solid.

When are the Maxwell cards expected to release?

The first lot of Maxwell cards have already released, but they're not on the 20nm process and so won't be as fast or efficient (22nm I wrote earlier was an error). I expect the cards made using the latest process should be out towards the end of this year.

Although, if you're into online multiplayer with friends I would just get whatever they're getting. COD Ghosts sucks to me though. You may like it, but I would wait for a better instalment on your platform of choice. Also, if you're not into building a PS4 might be the better choice.

Ouya!

Bad Ass

Obvious choice: PC

PC is much cheaper in the long run than PS4/XBO.
PC has far more games and exclusives than PS4/XBO.
PC has far better games than PS4/XBO (subjective though).
PC has the better services (Steam) than PS$/XBO.
PC's online services are free, unlike PS+ and XBL.
PC's games will look and play better than Console games.

Go custom PC, or choose a different brand than Alienware for a better performance/price ratio.