DKC Tropical Freeze is a mainstream game

It should have sold better 156 47.85%

Sales proves nothing 76 23.31%

Sales = Metacritic 27 8.28%

I wanted DK64-2 62 19.02%

Total:321
osed125 said:
Hynad said:

The problem with the Wii U has been a differentiator one from day one.

Most of what is being released on it by Nintendo are products that have already been made on prior consoles. Only with better visuals. It needs something fresh. Something game changer. The gamepad has a lot of potential, yet Nintendo is playing it safe by releasing Wii U versions of games everyone played on the Wii not so long ago.

If that were true, then why is the PS4 selling well? In terms of gameplay and controls, the PS4 and it's games do nothing new, all it has is better visuals.

It's not just against the competition that it needs to differentiate itself. It needs to differentiate itself from the Wii as well. People don't see the most powerful gaming console on the market right now when they see the Wii U. Because it's not. They see an update to a console that has delivered the same content not so long ago. 

I love Nintendo. I love my Wii U. But it's library of games right now, as well as the one coming soon is nothing but updates from games that were released not so long ago on the Wii. Hardcore Nintendo fans won't complain about that, because for the most part, that's what they expect from Nintendo. But people on the fence? They'll go for the slighly more expensive console because it offers a better promise for the future. Nintendo needs to differentiate themselves from that with content that's unique to the Wii U. Not only unique to Nintendo. That was already the case with the Wii, and people already played those games. SM3DW is to me the best Mario game since... ever. But it's also very similar to SM3DL on the 3DS. DKCTF looks excellent, but it's mostly an HD update to DKCR. Mario Kart? Same... 

They need something new and fresh. Not just HD updates. That's my take on it. You're free to disagree.

Around the Network

But... but it has Cranky Kong D:

JGarret said:
osed125 said:

If that were true, then why is the PS4 selling well? In terms of gameplay and controls, the PS4 and it's games do nothing new, all it has is better visuals.

Perhaps it has something to do with the PS4 "keeping it simple"...out of the three, it´s the system seems to have the clearest focus, there´s no 'Gamepad', no 'Kinect', a clear "for the gamers" message.I don´t know, maybe it´s less about the PS4 being so good but more about the competition being so "bloated".

I believe that most of Sony's success with PS4 is thanks to the stupidity of the competition decisions. Just like with the PS1.

Nintendo and PC gamer

osed125 said:

Anyone with common sense knows 90% of Wii games sold better thanks to well..the Wii. 

I'm a believer that SW sells HW, but in many many Wii games, HW sold SW.

It does seem counter intuitive but it tends to happen at times. As it is happening now with PS4. I mean what are people buying the PS4 for? Knack and Killzone? Maybe it is Don't Starve.

OT: Tought times ahead for U. Bring me that QOL, Iwata. 

Hynad said:
osed125 said:

It's not just against the competition that it needs to differentiate itself. It needs to differentiate itself from the Wii as well. People don't see the most powerful gaming console on the market right now when they see the Wii U. Because it's not. They see an update to a console that has delivered the same content not so long ago. 

I love Nintendo. I love my Wii U. But it's library of games right now, as well as the one coming soon is nothing but updates from games that were released not so long ago on the Wii. Hardcore Nintendo fans won't complain about that, because for the most part, that's what they expect from Nintendo. But people on the fence? They'll go for the slighly more expensive console because it offers a better promise for the future. Nintendo needs to differentiate themselves from that with content that's unique to the Wii U. Not only unique to Nintendo. That was already the case with the Wii, and people already played those games. SM3DW is to me the best Mario game since... ever. But it's also very similar to SM3DL on the 3DS. DKCTF looks excellent, but it's mostly an HD update to DKCR. Mario Kart? Same... 

They need something new and fresh. Not just HD updates. That's my take on it. You're free to disagree.

I do somewhat agree with you. 

But why does Nintendo need to differentiate with themselves but other companies don't? I mean Killzone: SF is the same as Killzone 3 with better graphics. AC IV is the same as the previous ones, heck is even on the PS360. Call of Duty: Ghost, same old story. The only "new" thing that comes to mind is Knack, and if we go by popular opinions, is a very sub-par game.

The industry has shown that consumers don't care when things are the same, so why is Nintendo any different? the only explanation I can come up with is that graphics are more important that gameplay, which as a gamer, makes me very sad.

Nintendo and PC gamer

Around the Network
Hynad said:

The problem with the Wii U has been a differentiator one from day one.

Most of what is being released on it by Nintendo are products that have already been made on prior consoles. Only with better visuals. It needs something fresh. Something game changer. The gamepad has a lot of potential, yet Nintendo is playing it safe by releasing Wii U versions of games everyone played on the Wii not so long ago.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze is no different. Nintendo is playing it very safe, software-wise. And it's unfortunate. They need to create something that truly couldn't be made without the gamepad.

So far, all they've done is sit on the success of the Wii, and release the same games they made for it, only with a slight visual boost... They're in for a very tough awakening.

I'm in agreement, here.  For generations, I've praised Nintendo as the most innovative company out there.  Looking at what they've done with the Wii U, it's almost like they're painting by numbers.  What happened to the Nintendo that released games like Custom Robo, Uniracers, Wave Race, Starfox, Animal Crossing, etc.  Where are all of the radical new ideas that get people talking and taking notice?  Nowhere to be found.  Is the new Nintendo just Nintendo in name only?  Is the Wii U doomed to receive nothing but HD iterations of Wii games?

osed125 said:
Hynad said:
osed125 said:

I do somewhat agree with you. 

But why does Nintendo need to differentiate with themselves but other companies don't? I mean Killzone: SF is the same as Killzone 3 with better graphics. AC IV is the same as the previous ones, heck is even on the PS360. Call of Duty: Ghost, same old story. The only "new" thing that comes to mind is Knack, and if we go by popular opinions, is a very sub-par game.

The industry has shown that consumers don't care when things are the same, so why is Nintendo any different? the only explanation I can come up with is that graphics are more important that gameplay, which as a gamer, makes me very sad.

It may also be that the appeal of their games is slowly waning. The fact that they've relied on the same franchises for so long, compared to the other developers who refresh themselves every now and then (Ubi, for example, went from Prince of Persia for the 6th gen, to Assassin's creed for the 7th, and are now going for Watchdog for the 8th. Or Sony, keeping things fresh with regular new IPs, like Uncharted, The Order 1886, Starhawk, etc... While still bringing in fan favourites).

I think they need to go broader and try to cater to an older audience. They're all family friendly all the time. Metroid and Xenoblade are about the only franchises they have that's catering to an E audience. As fun as their games are, most gamers enjoy some gritty and raw games from time to time. I can enjoy a good Disney movie from time to time, but I'm not going to exclusively  watch their movies. I need something more serious with different atmospheres too from time to time. 

I don't know... It seems to me that Nintendo has just been complacent for way too long now. And it's catching up to them now.

bubblegamer said:
What's next on the chalkboard?

For something to be on a chalkboard someone would have actually suggested it would save a console, like say... Lair.

Personally I hadn't even heard of DKC Tropical Freeze until I saw the thread title.

spurgeonryan said:
Is anyone in this entire thread serious?

Never was going to matter mmuch, specially. in Japan.

What? Returns sold more than 1m.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

It's because they're trying to expand to a market that already exists on the Wii U. If you like platformers, chances are you already own the Wii U. Had it been a new Metroid, Starfox, or a new I.P, it would've pushed much more consoles.