DKC Tropical Freeze is a mainstream game

It should have sold better 156 47.85%

Sales proves nothing 76 23.31%

Sales = Metacritic 27 8.28%

I wanted DK64-2 62 19.02%

Total:321
BeElite said:
zippy said:
Hopefully Donkey Kong will sell considerably better in the west...i think it will.

ohh, didnt the ninty faithfull claim Japan and wiius best market.

should have done best there.

Last time i checked, Wii U's best market was America, it has sold the most software and hardware. Thus i have higher hopes for Donkey Kong in the west. 

Around the Network

You should have made this thread when it doesn't move console in US and Europe.

Mario didn't even move consoles, DKC didn't have a chance. I just hope it doesn't flop totally as a game, screw the Wii U sales.

Maybe people think that they don't need Wii U to play excellent Mario and DK games, they can do it on Wii, 2/3DS, DS or even older Nntendo home and portable consoles. Classic Nintendo platformers don't need powerful graphics, that if overdone make them look plasticky, cheesy or even uncanny, they are at their best with a cartoony look, and the only benefit they could receive from more powerful GPUs are faster refresh and smoother and better defined edges. Yep, they could benefit also from larger RAM, allowing huge levels, but simple graphics already leave enough room for big ones even with the RAM available in Wii and 3DS, and the typical level structure of platformers allows to load a level at a time, without the need of loading, dynamically or all at once, whole gaming worlds, and this HW frugality is even greater in 2D platformers, the most successful Ninty ones.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

At this point, outside of a lower price, much better marketing and Smash Brothers following up Kart 8 quite quickly, I can't see where Nintendo are going to get major hardware boosts outside of the Christmas season. Even then, baseline sales are so low that Christmas sales aren't going to be particularly impressive.

I don't think DKTF debuting like this in Japan was unexpected, nor do I think it's reason to hit the panic. Nintendo have already announced a long-term shift in the direction of their games business, and the establishment of a new business. They obviously have already reacted to Wii U's failure. People need to accept that Nintendo's solution isn't going to change the here and now, but is instead aimed at long-term stability and independence.

I wish they'd do more for Wii U, but if they throw more and more into a loss-leading enterprise, then how are they going to negotiate a long term change of direction? My plan is to sit back and enjoy my Wii U.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
Soundwave said:
areason said:
Soundwave said:

The only good thing now is when Bayonetta 2 and X eventually come out and bomb, at least they have the "hey even Donkey Kong, Pikmin 3, Wii Fit, W101, bombed and even Mario is having a tough time" excuse so there's no expectation on these games to have to perform on this lame duck console.

That might be the saving grace for getting a third Bayonetta or Xeno game greenlit because Nintendo can't possibly blame the developers when everything on the system is underperforming in the way that they cut ties with Silicon Knights and Factor 5 once their games sales declined. 

I have a feeling that X and bayo will do quite good, they are different types of games compared to the bombs. 

Those games will bomb. Nintendo can barely sell games like Mario 3D World and can't even do anything with DKC or Pikmin. Wii U is the culmination of Nintendo's epic mismanagement and out-out-touch board of directors from Iwata on down and they are getting what they deserve.

Wii U is not a bad idea in design (except insofar as it has become daunting to third parties). The problems are in the form of execution. The only thing really mismanaged about Nintendo, like Kasz said recently, is they have a cash reserve that is practically criminal for a company of their age. If they had gone out and bought only one sizable studio a year for each of the peak Wii-DS years (2007, 8, 9, and 10), that would have been more games for the latter end of the Wii's life, a stronger start for 3DS without having to go through that embarrassing false start, and more on the table for Wii U.

They're sitting on that money waiting for something, but god only knows what.

That's actualy a lot less true than it used to be.

If you look at their financials, their "Cash and Deposits" has decreased by half over the past 3 fiscal years, and their "Notes and accounts receivable-trade" is down 2/3 over the same period.

I believe in honesty, civility, generosity, practicality, and impartiality.

Nintentacle said:

Don't worry. I have those two ready.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Pavolink said:
Nintentacle said:

ZOMFG, merciless!!! 

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

morenoingrato said:
Pavolink said:

Retro PR teach us that they choose DK franchise over others ones, but sales have proved that consumers choice is to ignore the game.

If you are going to bring up a Metroid game, I can assure you, it would have sold just as badly, nevermind a new IP.

The blame for the sales failure is directed at the WiiU itself, not the game.

metroid mb wouldnt have sold more games, but more consoles. DK and mario are marketed to the same people, metroid is not.

if 3d world didnt let u buy a wii u dk isnt gonna sell u a wii u too...

Pavolink said:
Nintentacle said:

Well, it would get you more points doing it that way...