By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Forbes: Microsoft Should Give XBox One To Nintendo

kowenicki said:
kitler53 said:

have you looked at the numbers since the NPD adjustements?

And are you suggesting that MS should takes losses for the next 6 years waiting for another chance?  

...gaming hasn't been doing well at all, financially speaking.  THQ.  Irrational.  Nintendo.  Sony.    i love video games but i wouldn't invest my own money into anything video game related.  the crash is coming and quite soon imo.

You sound just like Daniel Loeb.

So the logical conclusion of this is Nintendio should close its doors, Sony should stick to financial services and perhaps making movies and MS should close Devices division.

By your metric... I'd agree.  But thats not the real world, nothing is that black and white in business.

well listen, i'm not business expert.  i'm an engineer by trade.  ..but as a boy scout i learn that some times you're better off amputating an injured limb rather than trying to save it.  ..or selling my car to the junk yard rather than pay to fix it.  ..or any number of other wild analogies.

MS is in a very differnt position than sony or nintendo.  for MS, video games are more of a side project than a core business.  ..a distraction as many articles are calling it.  there's not a lot of money for them here, not compared to their core ventures.    but by the same hat,.. it won't bankrupt them either so i guess things could go either way.

..i guess it all comes down to what the new CEO's vision is but xbox doesn't really have much of a synergy with windows or office.  it's not going to help them sell more of their core products.  i really don't know what xbox does for MS as a corporate entity.  what's in it for MS?  what's the payoff that makes it worth it to them? i just don't see it

eh.

Around the Network

Nintendo would never buy the xbox division.... Maybe a few odd developers like Rare, but I don't think they would take the shooter devs... Nintendo doesn't like all the violence american games are famous for. They are willing to let it on their console, but they aren't willing to make it themselves.

Secondly, Xbox doesn't sell because of their great first party games. They sell because they have the best third party options. Third parties love the xbox because their shooters sell like crazy on it, and it wasn't as terrible to develop for as the PS3... On top of that Microsoft had an amazing online experience, something Nintendo wants no part of giving their disabling of the messaging system for the Wii U.

At best Nintendo might buy Rare. However seeing that all the core developers left Rare and are now working on other projects, I think that idea has gone to hell,

Nintendo doesn't like purchasing software developers. They are very stingy about that. Chance in hell Nintendo would want to purchase a failing business that has the polar opposite moral goals that Nintendo has.

Shinobi-san said:
kitler53 said:

have you looked at the numbers since the NPD adjustements?

And are you suggesting that MS should takes losses for the next 6 years waiting for another chance?  

...gaming hasn't been doing well at all, financially speaking.  THQ.  Irrational.  Nintendo.  Sony.    i love video games but i wouldn't invest my own money into anything video game related.  the crash is coming and quite soon imo.

Pretty sad but i agree.

This is why Sony is playing things super safe this gen. Its become too risky to go for Wii like success. And really thats the only time video games becomes super profitable.

I think what Sony is doing with the PS4 is to try and make their PS division profitable on an annual basis. Good investment in their first party studios, charging for MP and the new streaming service (which if they get right can be huge for them).Moving away from once off buys and towards the subscription based model.

lol, they have to.  sony simply can't afford to take the loss/lead model.   they absolutely have to aim for quarterly profit even if it means the market share suffers.   look at how they are leaving vita out to die.   had ps4 been slow they'd have left that out to die too.

Spazzy_D said:
I've said this before, but a Nintendo/Microsoft Joint Venture for a console would be a monster. Mario and Halo? Come on, you know people would buy it.

Erm... yeah if the company cultures didnt clash into a nuclear war. They would never get along.

You already know what happened when Nintendo and EA tried something together. EA is a company with a culture similar to microsoft.

Fusioncode said:
Arius Dion said:
Gaming is a very hostile business. The console graveyard is full of carcasses. Gaming is not in a healthy place right now. The object of business is to make money. If you aren't why stay? The landscape is changing and shrinking beneath their feet. The gaming industry will meet massive decline and corporate conglomerates will want to trim the fat.

Gaming is a small part of what they M$ & -$ony do. Sony especially doesn't have the ability to keep dumping cash into a black hole. And M$ hates not making money period. Xbox offers Nintendo nothing. They won't buy the brand at all.

Playstation is one of Sony's most profitable ventures, the division just posted a profit during a console launch, where they typically lose money. 

Since when? Measly if any profits from gaming didn't stop Sony from being given junk status credit rating. 

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Around the Network

What a sensasionalist article. Also the writer don't know shit about Nintendo. The philosophy of Nintendo is not compatible with what MS (and also Sony, but we are talking about MS here) offers in terms of video games. And their bussines model is different too, most of the big third-party companies are accustomed to console manufacturers pay part of the advertising of their games, that is something Nintendo don't do.

So the problem of poor third-party support on Nintendo consoles would still be present even if they owned Xbox.

Although, Nintendo Xbox. Doesn't sound bad.

Arius Dion said:
Fusioncode said:
Arius Dion said:
Gaming is a very hostile business. The console graveyard is full of carcasses. Gaming is not in a healthy place right now. The object of business is to make money. If you aren't why stay? The landscape is changing and shrinking beneath their feet. The gaming industry will meet massive decline and corporate conglomerates will want to trim the fat.

Gaming is a small part of what they M$ & -$ony do. Sony especially doesn't have the ability to keep dumping cash into a black hole. And M$ hates not making money period. Xbox offers Nintendo nothing. They won't buy the brand at all.

Playstation is one of Sony's most profitable ventures, the division just posted a profit during a console launch, where they typically lose money. 

Since when? Measly if any profits from gaming didn't stop Sony from being given junk status credit rating. 

Did you read what I wrote? Playstation division posted a profit this quarter, you said it was a black hole that Sony keeps dumping cash into. Which is completely incorrect. I wasn't talking about Sony as a whole. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Nem said:
Spazzy_D said:
I've said this before, but a Nintendo/Microsoft Joint Venture for a console would be a monster. Mario and Halo? Come on, you know people would buy it.

Erm... yeah if the company cultures didnt clash into a nuclear war. They would never get along.

You already know what happened when Nintendo and EA tried something together. EA is a company with a culture similar to microsoft.

That's why I feel like a joint venture "Nintendosoft"  would have to be formed to handle it.  I feel like each companies strengths and weaknesses compliment each other very well, and at the very least Xbox branding in America and Nintendo branding in Japan would be a huge help.

Yeah, the most likely result is implosion, but if they were able to work it out, it would be something special.

kowenicki said:
Normchacho said:
kowenicki said:
supernihilist said:
kowenicki said:

i see nothing wrong on that, at least in the console deparment, Msoft is wasting their own time and mone on a declining market that has 2 way more stablished brands. they should move on.

Well unfortunately you cant shift the stories to just consoles to suit your point... his stories are about MS corp.

The guy regualrly takes a shit on MS as a corporation.

He has no credibility and is just another in the long line of vocal anti ms bleaters.  Some people just dont like successful corporations.

Oooorr...he's a business expert with a masters from harvard business school who specialized in orginazation and growth you very often writes negative articles about companies that he views are making mistakes and are hurting themselves with those mistakes. Oh, and sometimes Microsoft is the subject of those articles because in his view they are making mistakes.

But yeah he could just dislike Microsoft and it could have nothing to do with what he does for a living or how Microsoft if running, it must just be bias. That makes sense too.

I know, I've watched some of his lectures.  Empty words most of them, I mean really, really bland nonsense.

Just because someone is an academic high achiever it doesnt  make them good at actually doing.

Well, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree about his merits then but that still leaves us with the article and the topic at hand.

You said in another post that asking Microsoft to give up on Xbox because it wasn't profitable was the same thing as asking Nintendo to shut it doors or Sony to just stick to movies and financial services. But there is a significant difference between riding out a difficult time with a division or company that has been stong and profitable in the past and investing in a division or business that even after over a decade of investment has yet to prove that it can be a viable, self supporting venture.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

JoeTheBro said:
Why would Nintendo want them?

I was thinking the same thing.  I really don't think MS is giving up the xbox brand, just because the living room ties in with everything.  It's their vision of the future that ties in with their other SW delivery vessels, PC, Tablets, phones.