By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Forbes: Microsoft Should Give XBox One To Nintendo

So even some analysts are unable to distinguish playstation from sony.

That's pretty sad.

Around the Network
Arius Dion said:
Gaming is a very hostile business. The console graveyard is full of carcasses. Gaming is not in a healthy place right now. The object of business is to make money. If you aren't why stay? The landscape is changing and shrinking beneath their feet. The gaming industry will meet massive decline and corporate conglomerates will want to trim the fat.

Gaming is a small part of what they M$ & -$ony do. Sony especially doesn't have the ability to keep dumping cash into a black hole. And M$ hates not making money period. Xbox offers Nintendo nothing. They won't buy the brand at all.

Playstation is one of Sony's most profitable ventures, the division just posted a profit during a console launch, where they typically lose money. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

While I am sure these kind of discussions may have even happened in MS meetings, especially with Investor calls or Analysts suggesting these type of actions...

Why would MS choose Nintendo?
Why would Nintendo accept Xbox?

Why wouldn't MS offer their Xbox to Amazon or even Apple or Google? Why would any of them accept it... except maybe Amazon who recently even bought one of MS game development studios (the ones who made the recent Killer Instinct).

Yeah, I think if any company it would be Amazon that would want to buy Xbox. They are in entertainment, they compete directly with Netflix, they are also interested in having their own gaming / entertainment platform.

kowenicki said:

did you just compare the vita to xbox?

And are you suggesting that large corporations should only keep division going that make regular and continuous large profits? 

have you looked at the numbers since the NPD adjustements?

And are you suggesting that MS should takes losses for the next 6 years waiting for another chance?  

...gaming hasn't been doing well at all, financially speaking.  THQ.  Irrational.  Nintendo.  Sony.    i love video games but i wouldn't invest my own money into anything video game related.  the crash is coming and quite soon imo.

cusman said:
While I am sure these kind of discussions may have even happened in MS meetings, especially with Investor calls or Analysts suggesting these type of actions...

Why would MS choose Nintendo?
Why would Nintendo accept Xbox?

Why wouldn't MS offer their Xbox to Amazon or even Apple or Google? Why would any of them accept it... except maybe Amazon who recently even bought one of MS game development studios (the ones who made the recent Killer Instinct).

Yeah, I think if any company it would be Amazon that would want to buy Xbox. They are in entertainment, they compete directly with Netflix, they are also interested in having their own gaming / entertainment platform.

agreed, amazon would be the best possible suitor for xbox atm at least.  

...i wonder how much amazon would be willing to spend though.

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
kitler53 said:

Will game console sales decline like PC sales?

On top of profit worries is the threat that console market growth may stagnate as gamers migrate toward games on mobile devices.  How this will affect sales is unknown.  But given what happened to PC   sales it’s not hard to imagine the market for consoles to become smaller each year, dominated by dedicated game players, while the majority of casual game players move to their convenient always-on device.

Due to its limited product range, Nintendo is in a “fight to the death” to win in gaming. Sony is now selling its PC business, and lacks strong offerings in most consumer products markets (like TVs) while facing extremely tough competition from Samsung and LG.  Sony, likewise, cannot afford to abandon the Playstation business, and will be forced to engage in this profit killing battle to attract developers and end-use customers.

The PC as a whole is indeed in decline, but only for content consumption. (Movies and casual games.)
Content creation is an entirely different situation. (You wouldn't be going through a million lines of code on a tablet for instance then compiling.)

And PC gaming is actually on the increase, Steam is gaining active users at a rate of 15% a year and doesn't look like it's slowing any time soon.
It's Sony's own fault for not targeting certain demographics in the PC space that led to it's failure, there are still 300+ million machines sold a year which they could have partaken in.

This is one of Kaz's biggest failures imo. Its like the people behind the vaio range didnt get the memo...

Theres a massive difference between the design language of the Xperia range and the vaio range....the vaio being bulky, expensive, and average specs.

Sony never got the ultabook right and its been like this for years now. I can fathom what was going on behind the scenes. Every other PC manuafacturer caught on...

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

kowenicki said:
supernihilist said:
kowenicki said:

i see nothing wrong on that, at least in the console deparment, Msoft is wasting their own time and mone on a declining market that has 2 way more stablished brands. they should move on.

Well unfortunately you cant shift the stories to just consoles to suit your point... his stories are about MS corp.

The guy regualrly takes a shit on MS as a corporation.

He has no credibility and is just another in the long line of vocal anti ms bleaters.  Some people just dont like successful corporations.

Oooorr...he's a business expert with a masters from harvard business school who specialized in orginazation and growth you very often writes negative articles about companies that he views are making mistakes and are hurting themselves with those mistakes. Oh, and sometimes Microsoft is the subject of those articles because in his view they are making mistakes.

But yeah he could just dislike Microsoft and it could have nothing to do with what he does for a living or how Microsoft if running, it must just be bias. That makes sense too.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

kitler53 said:
kowenicki said:

did you just compare the vita to xbox?

And are you suggesting that large corporations should only keep division going that make regular and continuous large profits? 

have you looked at the numbers since the NPD adjustements?

And are you suggesting that MS should takes losses for the next 6 years waiting for another chance?  

...gaming hasn't been doing well at all, financially speaking.  THQ.  Irrational.  Nintendo.  Sony.    i love video games but i wouldn't invest my own money into anything video game related.  the crash is coming and quite soon imo.

Pretty sad but i agree.

This is why Sony is playing things super safe this gen. Its become too risky to go for Wii like success. And really thats the only time video games becomes super profitable.

I think what Sony is doing with the PS4 is to try and make their PS division profitable on an annual basis. Good investment in their first party studios, charging for MP and the new streaming service (which if they get right can be huge for them).Moving away from once off buys and towards the subscription based model.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

I've said this before, but a Nintendo/Microsoft Joint Venture for a console would be a monster. Mario and Halo? Come on, you know people would buy it.

This article..... um... just, um..... what the hell?! What's with all the negativity, doom, and pessimism surrounding the console market. It really isn't that bad, for crying out loud!