By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 Sales Surpass 5.3 Million Units Worldwide as of February 8

Munkeh111 said:
Turkish said:
Munkeh111 said:
Turkish said:

Some people are still claiming "wait until after the launch hype dies off", it's been 3 months since launch and hype hasnt died down.

It can't last forever. I'm still convinced that console gaming is going to die before too long

You couldn't be convinced in something more wrong. With the success of the PS4, the future of console gaming is secured up until the next generation. So we have 6 more years out of it atleast.

My definition of "before too long" is probably not clear, I give it one more generation, but I don't buy into PS4 achieving PS2 sales. So many of those PS2 owners will just play on iPads (to my infinite sadness)

Anyway, neither of us are right or wrong yet.

The non-gamers are moving away, there is a slight erosion of casual gamers. Still, this gen will be about 180-200m sold combined. That is as big as the PS2 gen. Due to this, a next gen is guaranteed, not sure about Xbox with all the rumors about investors wanting to kill of the brand, but a PS5 and next Nintendo consoles are guaranteed. But any talk about nextgen failing, we're well into the 2020s.

I myself am predicting a crash of the mobile industry. This illegal stealing of popular concepts and IPs(just look at the 100s of flappy bird clones, flappy birds itself is a clone of the Helicopter game), and shameless f2p and IAP models cant go on forever. That industry will implode.

VR will bring many non gamers and casuals back to the traditional industry.

Around the Network

I said this in other thread on 7 January....

End February -> 6'5 mill
During E3 -> 10 mill
End 2014 -> 20 mill

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=5948028

I've been nailing the ps4 numbers every time i make a prediction. Seems i'm going to be right too with those predictions...

colafitte said:
I said this in other thread on 7 January....

End February -> 6'5 mill
During E3 -> 10 mill
End 2014 -> 20 mill

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=5948028

I've been nailing the ps4 numbers every time i make a prediction. Seems i'm going to be right too with those predictions...

Yeah those pretty much match what I've been thinking as well :D

Turkish said:
Munkeh111 said:

My definition of "before too long" is probably not clear, I give it one more generation, but I don't buy into PS4 achieving PS2 sales. So many of those PS2 owners will just play on iPads (to my infinite sadness)

The non-gamers are moving away, there is a slight erosion of casual gamers. Still, this gen will be about 180-200m sold combined. That is as big as the PS2 gen. Due to this, a next gen is guaranteed, not sure about Xbox with all the rumors about investors wanting to kill of the brand, but a PS5 and next Nintendo consoles are guaranteed. But any talk about nextgen failing, we're well into the 2020s.

I myself am predicting a crash of the mobile industry. This illegal stealing of popular concepts and IPs(just look at the 100s of flappy bird clones, flappy birds itself is a clone of the Helicopter game), and shameless f2p and IAP models cant go on forever. That industry will implode.

I'm thinking more like 150m. Xbox will definitely stay, but probably focus even more on the entertainment aspect, M$ want to get their stuff on the TV

People will keep smartphones and will keep wanting to play games on them. The industry has massive issues, but some people will keep making money of it. People want to twiddle with their thumbs while they wait for things. Likewise, people are going to keep using iPads because they're obsessed by them (don't ask me why)

Indie games will come to iPad keeping those gamers happy and VR gaming will best be done on PC. I don't see any way that the console market won't be massively erroded

Im impressed with VGC tracking of the PS4.

Around the Network
NobleTeam360 said:
Izo said:
Good thing I have my PS4! I can feel like a winner this gen and not have people say I am using last place logic. :)

Last place logic?

It's a GeneralMLD thing...

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Munkeh111 said:
Turkish said:
Munkeh111 said:

I'm thinking more like 150m. Xbox will definitely stay, but probably focus even more on the entertainment aspect, M$ want to get their stuff on the TV

People will keep smartphones and will keep wanting to play games on them. The industry has massive issues, but some people will keep making money of it. People want to twiddle with their thumbs while they wait for things. Likewise, people are going to keep using iPads because they're obsessed by them (don't ask me why)

Indie games will come to iPad keeping those gamers happy and VR gaming will best be done on PC. I don't see any way that the console market won't be massively erroded

People kept using consoles too when the console market crashed in America. It was the software side that burned up and that is the weakest point of the mobile industry. People will one day get tired of the IAP models. And while there are people making money off that industry, there are millions of so called developers making clones that dont sell shit. That is what the mobile industry has become, there is only money in it for the few lucky ones, and the rest are trying to mimmick it by clones. Unfortunately the f2p/microtransaction model will fly over the console business, and ironically it will save the industry. Publishers will monetize more to fund big projects.

About VR, no it wont be best done on PC. VR on PC is a niche market, for the few who have a lot of money to spend on their pc. Im not talking about the PS4 generation, eventough VR will be coming to the PS4 as well. Im talking about the PS5 era when the future of console industry could be in question. VR will be cheap tech by then, and PS5 will be more than powerful enough to do VR without any compromises. Consoles will make VR big, not PC's.

Wowzows. Good job with the Ps4 sony...

Yay!!!

I honestly don't think the PS4 will have massive sales in Japan. I mean, there's not a lot of "Japanese" games that could really hype them that much.

Here's my prediction: 400 000k for the first two/three weeks.

Just because you have an opinion doesn't mean you are necessarily right.

If the Wii U managed to reach 600k in 3 weeks in Japan

PS4 can reach this number at least !