By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Forget DKC! Nintendo, bring back Donkey Kong 64!

Tagged games:

Should Nintendo bring back DK64?

Hell yeah! 35 50.72%

Maybe 8 11.59%

No, I prefer DKC! 17 24.64%

They should just sell DK to MS.. 3 4.35%

Are you ready for WIIIII UUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!! 4 5.80%

Total:67

Why? That game was garbage. Huge let down after DKC 1&2 and shows why certain things and certain games don't transition well into 3D. Much like Pac-man in 3D vs classic Pac-Man, or even 3D Mario to Classic Mario.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Around the Network

Don't remake DK64. It wasn't good. Just make a new 3D Donkey Kong game that plays like a 3D Country game.

Why not have both? Donkey Kong, Kid Icarus, and Star Fox are all underused IP on Nintendo's part.

Or perhaps make a 3D platform series with Diddy Kong as the lead?

TheLegendaryWolf said:
So, Donkey Kong Country U?

No, Donkey Kong U. Of course that sounds a bit wierd, but they could always come with something more creative. 

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Fuck remakes, we need new IPs or New games or else the wiiU will be like the Vita

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

Can I asky why people hate DK64? I enoyed it. The only low points I remember was the chase sheep into middle of barrel, any swiming mini games with tiny and the the DK arcade game.

Donkey Kong 64 is actually broken beyond belief. Check out this guy's playthrough.

"On my business card I am a corporate president. In my mind I am a game developer. But in my heart I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

Since Rare is now a dead company owned by Microsoft, no other developer can bring back the magic of the old Rareware games. Even in Killer Instinct on X1 developed by Double Helix, this magic is completely missing.

Almost every Rareware game got delayed several times in order to polish it close to perfection and to meet Nintendo's very high internal standards. No other developer does put effort into this nowadays at times where most games are released as beta versions full of game breaking bugs.

DK64 was a very good game, using some levels that couldn't make it into Banjo Kazooie. It had really good graphics but a very low draw distance and sometimes too many stupid things to collect in order to keep it fun instead of work when striving for 100% completion.

But if you look at the sales numbers of New Mario Bros U vs 3D World, the few Wii U owners out there clearly prefer 2D games. I personally did not like DKC Returns because the Rare magic was missing and the integration of these stupid motion controls did not feel right and destroyed all the fun for me. You had to shake your Wiimote 10000 times in each level for no reason at all. Also most of of the soundtracks were much worse than the originals. DKC2 is my favorite 2D Jump & Run of all times although I got stuck near the end of the game and was never able to finish it bcause it is the hardest game I ever played in my life. Mario Bros Lost Levels is easy in comparsion.

DialgaMarine said:
theRepublic said:
I didn't like the game much when it came out. Traversing each area 5 times over gets boring after a while. It just didn't live up to the DK Country games for me.

I think that the collect-a-thon platformers have aged terribly. I liked Banjo at the time, but going back now it is not very good.

If you look at it like that, then literally everything Ninendo is doing right now is bad, because everything they're doing now has been done to death. They've lost their touch of genuinely recreating their series with each gen, and are now just banking on creating things that are cost effective and they know will sell.

What?  How so?  Did Nintendo suddenly make a bunch of collect-a-thon platformers while I wasn't looking?

Did you respond to the wrong post?  This makes no sense in regards to what I said.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

theRepublic said:
DialgaMarine said:
theRepublic said:
I didn't like the game much when it came out. Traversing each area 5 times over gets boring after a while. It just didn't live up to the DK Country games for me.

I think that the collect-a-thon platformers have aged terribly. I liked Banjo at the time, but going back now it is not very good.

If you look at it like that, then literally everything Ninendo is doing right now is bad, because everything they're doing now has been done to death. They've lost their touch of genuinely recreating their series with each gen, and are now just banking on creating things that are cost effective and they know will sell.

What?  How so?  Did Nintendo suddenly make a bunch of collect-a-thon platformers while I wasn't looking?

Did you respond to the wrong post?  This makes no sense in regards to what I said.

No, you were complaining about collect-a-thon platformers not ageing well. Neither are modern platformers, yet Nintendo keeps pumping them out. 

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon