By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Nintendo offer an optional WiiU SKU without the Gamepad?

Should Nintendo offer a WiiU SKU without the Gamepad?

Yes, their best option at this point. 164 47.13%

No, the negatives outweigh the cheaper price. 183 52.59%

Total:347
DarkD said:
leo-j said:
Not when most games use it.. Might as well buy a ps3.. Since that has better online, is cheaper, and has more games coming to it

Sony games are all Shooters, Sports and the odd RPG.  With that kinda crappy variety, I would probably have a smaller gaming catalogue than I did on the PS2.  PS2 gave me the least enjoyment of any console I've ever owned....  I wish I had gotten the gamecube instead back then...  Even now I have like 5 games for PS2 and almost 10 on the Wii U, and playstation was the only console I had that generation.  So don't give me that fanboy bullshit.

As for the question in the thread, unfortunately yes they should.  One of Wii's big features was its low price, and Wii U's pricetag is practically competing with the PS4.  The tablet isn't that essential to most of the games on the Wii U and I think a lot of developers are using it in places they shouldn't.  If a innovation is going to be mandatory, then it needs to wow people first.  The gamepad didn't wow many people, even if it's an improvement for many games, its not a necessity for them.  

Silly Billy, you can't make ignorant claims like that and not expect to get called out for them.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network

As of last year, Nintendo was charging $150 for a new Gamepad (including tax and shipping):

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/02/26/wii-u-gamepad-could-cost-you-at-least-140-to-replace/

There's no way the Gamepad isn't adding (at least) $100 to the cost of the WiiU.  A $199 WiiU with a Wiimote/nunchuck instead of the Gamepad would, at the very worst, incur the same losses as now (probably more like breaking even).  Difference is, they'd be moving a lot more consoles - and consequently - a lot more software.

If they did "Basic" WiiU bundles with DKC, Mario Kart, Smash, or maybe a Wii Sports 3 at, say, $249, Ninty would do very well this holiday and, just as importantly, much better come fiscal earnings time.

spurgeonryan said:
I say do it. Put a warning on games that need it. Done.

And you Miiverse is not mandatory people.

How well did that work out with Motion Plus?

Considering that many Consumers still think Wii U Tablet is an addon for the wii, I doubt the efficacy of this strategy.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
DarkD said:
leo-j said:
Not when most games use it.. Might as well buy a ps3.. Since that has better online, is cheaper, and has more games coming to it

Sony games are all Shooters, Sports and the odd RPG.  With that kinda crappy variety, I would probably have a smaller gaming catalogue than I did on the PS2.  PS2 gave me the least enjoyment of any console I've ever owned....  I wish I had gotten the gamecube instead back then...  Even now I have like 5 games for PS2 and almost 10 on the Wii U, and playstation was the only console I had that generation.  So don't give me that fanboy bullshit.

As for the question in the thread, unfortunately yes they should.  One of Wii's big features was its low price, and Wii U's pricetag is practically competing with the PS4.  The tablet isn't that essential to most of the games on the Wii U and I think a lot of developers are using it in places they shouldn't.  If a innovation is going to be mandatory, then it needs to wow people first.  The gamepad didn't wow many people, even if it's an improvement for many games, its not a necessity for them.  

Silly Billy, you can't make ignorant claims like that and not expect to get called out for them.

If you are referring to things like God of War im not interested.  Silent hill not interested.  I just like to relax and enjoy a game.  So yea if you take my statement at face value, theres a problem with it.  I like games which try and be fun not bloody or which make you fap....

DarkD said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
DarkD said:
leo-j said:

Ok for the PS2 and the PS3, name 20 of them that scored over 70 on metacritic?  10 each shouldn't be that hard.  

If they only have the odd game outside of those categories, then im not interested.  

20 games that scored over 70 on an aggregation of online review scores that are not in which categories? I assume you mean not a shooter, sports game, or RPG(Which you need to specifiy as this is a broad genre)

However, I don't see how this is related to your intial claim.

Please elaborate.

Around the Network
archbrix said:
Game_God said:
etking said:
The is absolutely no reason to stick with the ugly, oversized, heavy, energy consuming and useless pad. It prevents people and even Nintendo fanboys from buying a Wii-U an cannot even be used without the main console. The pad is the weakest spot of the whole system.

They need to drop it, make it optional or at least make it smaller and the battery much longer lasting. The slow and badly designed user interface also should not require it to be connected if you just want to play a normal game. If you make a mistake you need to learn from it and adopt your strategy quickly. The Wii-U could sell so much better without that expensive piece of crap, it doesn't even come with a resistive touchscreen. Dropping the pad would allow to cut the price to 149$ without making any losses.

"oversized, heavy" this only says you never held one in your hands, that or you have a muscle disease & in that case I'm sorry for you.

I do agree that the Gamepad is perfectly comfortable.  I played WWHD for hours on end with no problem whatsoever.

Another vote for the gamepad being comfortable.

I was actually surprised to find that it was smaller than I had expected when I first held my gamepad, after seeing it in all of the Wii U promos leading up to the launch.

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
DarkD said:
leo-j said:

No pretty much every one of them is a third person shooter or Little big planet

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
spurgeonryan said:
I say do it. Put a warning on games that need it. Done.

And you Miiverse is not mandatory people.

How well did that work out with Motion Plus?

Considering that many Consumers still think Wii U Tablet is an addon for the wii, I doubt the efficacy of this strategy.

The problem is that even with the Gamepad included with every console, Nintendo hasn't been making it a necessity for their vision of game design.  None of the Marios need it, WW can be played with the pro, Pikmin 3 plays best with a Wiimote, Donkey Kong does NOTHING with its features to enchance the game and Mario Kart, Smash, and Zelda will all surely function just fine without it.  Bayo 2?  X?  The prospects of a Wii Sports 3?  

Personally, I was looking forward to software that couldn't be done without it but so far we have pretty much only Nintendoland and ZombiU, since games like Rayman and W101 could've worked just fine without it.  If the console were selling fine then it wouldn't be an issue but is it really worth the mandatory inclusion driving up the cost of the console at this point with all of the big games coming out this year and Nintendo's profits continuing to suffer?

nope.

Same problem like MS dropping Kinect. If they did that they would have nothing on the competition and seem even worse in comparison.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.