By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - %99 of music is crap today.

Same goes for movies and games. Its called mainstream cancer.

Around the Network

1 % is Metal and Rock :D :D yEAH

Zelda - Breath of the Wild for Nintendo Switch.... Incredable!!!

impertinence said:
Kongfucius said:
impertinence said:
Music is going the way of the movies , the huge releases are extremely engineered to appeal to the lowest common denominator to appeal to the widest possible audience. As always, in an effort to please everyone the product has to be extremely bland and safe. It sucks, but what sucks more is that gaming is taking the same path. Well well, it was fun while it lasted.

Fortunately though there will always be people who will refuse to conform - they may not get all that rich or famous, but you can be damn sure they'll spread a hell of a lot more joy and touch a lot more hearts than a hundred Katy Perrys or One Directions :)

Indeed, there will always be people who appreciate the craftmanship and art in the work they do, it used to be a standard in the arts, now it's being relagated to the 'indie' section of the market. For music this will work well, for movies it's not so great since production coasts to do something decent are pretty high, for games, I don't know. I have hopes that tools are getting good enough and cheap enough that there will be solid quality and good accessibility for indie games.

Let's hope so - as someone who doesn't normally pay that much attention to AAA games (especially FPS) I wouldn't want that to become my only choice (if that happened I probably stop gaming, or the very least start looking back to older games and playing those instead)

badgenome said:
I don't know how anyone who likes Linkin Park can find anything to be crap, but to each his own!

But he also likes Korn and Bruno Mars.  lol

I think what we should take away is that even if you think everyone elses music sucks there is someone who thinks your music sucks.  Yes 99% of mainstream music sucks, but just like in the 200X's, 90's & 80's there has been good music, but if all you listen to is top 40, then yah, you only have yourself to blame for bashing your head against the wall.

chris_wing said:

Well, I guess Korn's first album was okay. I have no idea who Bruno Mars is.

Around the Network

I think so to. But that's just a reminder that I am getting older.

badgenome said:
chris_wing said:

He's a walking talking quiff with some limbs and a pair of sunglasses attached, likes to sing about being naked :)

Some of you just think you're getting older, but that's not true at all. South Park were right, modern music ACTUALLY sounds like shit.

I don't bother with music anymore. I'll appreciate the soundtrack to a game or film, or occasionally listen to some older music, but that's about it.

episteme said:

There's stilll great stuff today, but the mainstream is much worse than decades ago.

Main stream music has sucked since the 80's, and that's ignorring the entire genre of disco from the 70's.  We've had Back Street Boys & a dozen different variations, we've had the Spice Girls & a dozen different variations, we've had Billy Ray Cyrus & a wave of "New Country" fecal matter.  Aron Carter, Brittany Spears, MC Hammer, Milli Vanilli & a bunch of cookie cutter crap just like it all the way up to American Idol.

I've done a bad job but I'm trying to illustrate how the mainstream music "industry" has been crap for 30 or 40 years.

badgenome said:
chris_wing said:

Their first album may have been okay, I've only heard the hit's from it & it wasn't for me.