By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sales Estimations for 8th Generation Consoles and Analysis of the Market

NintendoPie said:
There is so much room between these ranges, so I'll wait till we'll be able to narrow it down a little farther. Although Wii U doing 20-25 Million seems pretty set in stone.

And the market will stay as big/a little more a little less, you say? Try quite a bit less. PS4 will be the largest stake and the other two will fall quite short. Especially Wii U, obviously.

I'm not so sure that it is set in stone.... The wiiu is struggling like no other Nintendo console before it. I think Nintendo will be lucky to hit near 25 million. I have a feeling that the wiiu may only go as high as 15 million, as I think Nintendo will pull the plug earlier than they did with the cube. I love the wiiu, I just think it has absolutely zero excitement or buzz. The cube was loved by Nintendo fans, and had some great games pretty much from its launch.

The wiiu has great games, but they're so few and far between its pathetic. Smash and mario kart will give a little bump, but it won't be much, and won't last long. I can't wait for some of the  awesome games coming for it, but, it has its reputation, and like the vita, it's a  bad rep that makes people not want it, in my opinion. It will get to 10 million after this Christmas, and slowly sell it's last 5 million till Nintendo comes up with its replacement.

who knows, this fusion thing may come true, and replace the wiiu and 3ds at the same time.

Around the Network

Wiiu: 12-20 million
X1: 50-80 million
Ps4: 70-100 million

PS4: 120 million
X1: 48 million
Wii U: 20 million
3DS: 80 million
Vita: 12 million

Microsoft can change things depending on how aggressive they are willing to get with the X1, but otherwise that's how I see it. 

Soundwave said:

Microsoft can change things depending on how aggressive they are willing to get with the X1, but otherwise that's how I see it. 

I think those are pretty good estimates, and precise too. Most people give a range, but I like the solid numbers you've given too.  If I were to go without a range, it would differ slightly from yours, but would be really close. 

Ps4: 90 m

x1: 55 m

wiiu: 15 m

3ds: 85 m

vita: 12 m

Justagamer said:

- You're being too generous to the Xbox. Now imagine, their performance is dreadful in Europe, think 3 to 1 at best! Then they don't even exist in Japan. Also They're even losing in North America. If you think they will relapse, think again! There is no chance a more expensive console will win in NA, never gonna happen. Given all that you still expect XB1 to sell roughly 3/4 of PS4? TOO OPTIMISTIC. XB1 is very lucky if it can sell only half as many!

- You are too mean to Wii. They have never sold this little. Even their worst console, Gamecube sold 22 million in less than 5 years. We're talking about a 7 year long generation here, and their biggest hits haven't even come around. Also the market is a lot larger now.

- Finally, you're too pessimistic about PS4. Given that as an expensive, 1 year late console, which was set back by bad media press and developing nightmares was able to sell 80+ million in 7 years, don't you think a dream console in every meaning of the word, will sell a lot more than that. I promise you, it will sell at the very least 20% more than its predecessor, around 100+ million even if the market would end up shrinking. Most people are dubious about its popularity over the Wii legacy, but Wii was a storn trooper, it became massivle popular for 3-4 years to dramatically fall off the cliff all of a sudden. PS4 may never be that runaway success, but at the end of the day, it will have sold much more than that due to long term success.

Playstation 5 vs XBox Series Market Share Estimates

Regional Analysis  (only MS and Sony Consoles)
Europe     => XB1 : 23-24 % vs PS4 : 76-77%
N. America => XB1 :  49-52% vs PS4 : 48-51%
Global     => XB1 :  32-34% vs PS4 : 66-68%

Sales Estimations for 8th Generation Consoles

Next Gen Consoles Impressions and Estimates

Around the Network
freedquaker said:
Justagamer said:

- You're being too generous to the Xbox. Now imagine, their performance is dreadful in Europe, think 3 to 1 at best! Then they don't even exist in Japan. Also They're even losing in North America. If you think they will relapse, think again! There is no chance a more expensive console will win in NA, never gonna happen. Given all that you still expect XB1 to sell roughly 3/4 of PS4? TOO OPTIMISTIC. XB1 is very lucky if it can sell only half as many!

- You are too mean to Wii. They have never sold this little. Even their worst console, Gamecube sold 22 million in less than 5 years. We're talking about a 7 year long generation here, and their biggest hits haven't even come around. Also the market is a lot larger now.

- Finally, you're too pessimistic about PS4. Given that as an expensive, 1 year late console, which was set back by bad media press and developing nightmares was able to sell 80+ million in 7 years, don't you think a dream console in every meaning of the word, will sell a lot more than that. I promise you, it will sell at the very least 20% more than its predecessor, around 100+ million even if the market would end up shrinking. Most people are dubious about its popularity over the Wii legacy, but Wii was a storn trooper, it became massivle popular for 3-4 years to dramatically fall off the cliff all of a sudden. PS4 may never be that runaway success, but at the end of the day, it will have sold much more than that due to long term success.

As far as x1 and ps4, it's just how I feel, but the wiiu to me, will in no way, last 7 years. I don't think any of them will, but the wiiu won't even get close. I think it's gone in 4. The ps4 and x1 may last that long or longer, but maybe less too. Who knows. With the x1, I think ms will make things happen to improve its marketability. Drop the price is the easy one, but I think if they make the kinect(I hate kinect) optional, and drop the price, I think the x1 can most DEFINATELY change it's current trends... But, of course, this is all just guess work and speculation. 

Justagamer said:
freedquaker said:
Justagamer said:

As far as x1 and ps4, it's just how I feel, but the wiiu to me, will in no way, last 7 years. I don't think any of them will, but the wiiu won't even get close. I think it's gone in 4. The ps4 and x1 may last that long or longer, but maybe less too. Who knows. With the x1, I think ms will make things happen to improve its marketability. Drop the price is the easy one, but I think if they make the kinect(I hate kinect) optional, and drop the price, I think the x1 can most DEFINATELY change it's current trends... But, of course, this is all just guess work and speculation. 

Well, you have a point about the duration of the WiiU, 7 years feel a bit long on the tooth; although I still think that they will eventually top Gamecube.

Justagamer said:
Soundwave said:

I think those are pretty good estimates, and precise too. Most people give a range, but I like the solid numbers you've given too.  If I were to go without a range, it would differ slightly from yours, but would be really close. 

Ps4: 90 m

x1: 55 m

wiiu: 15 m

3ds: 85 m

vita: 12 m

I mean both of those estimates are reasonable, not too far away from mine but as economists say (as I am one), "never give a point estimate, but always a range", this way you are always right. And the smaller the range, the more accurate you are, but right nevertheless.

Lol ps4 numbers.

It's like one month of great sales and next thing you know it's sailing 138-168 million.

It's like there is no analyzing the market or comparing trends.

I'm sorry but I'm going to you call you out on how you think it is rational to believe 168 million is possible.

I'm trying to wrap my brain on how you think it's going to outsell even the ps2. How is the market going to suddenly double for the fanbase for ps3 in the time when it's going to fighting smartphones/tablets/PC/other consoles. Ps4 would have to popular to the point of sailing 3-4 million a month. It would have to be getting the casuals beyond call of duty. Ps4 isn't in that much demand in USA or Japan(not at all) to pull this.

"Excuse me sir, I see you have a weapon. Why don't you put it down and let's settle this like gentlemen"  ~ max

freedquaker said:
Justagamer said:
freedquaker said:
Justagamer said:

Well, you have a point about the duration of the WiiU, 7 years feel a bit long on the tooth; although I still think that they will eventually top Gamecube.

I hope it does top the wiiu.... I would like to have a nice Zelda on it, and I have a strange feeling that Nintendo may never bring one to the u... I hope they do tho, and an ocarina style one too, maybe even a link between worlds style  sequal, I loved that game. Personally, I feel that the ps360 shouldn't have been replaced yet, so I hope that the new gen lasts at least as long as those did. I can't help but feel like both Sony and ms artificially kept the prices a lot higher than they should have been for such old hardware(ps360) and with proper pricing, could've kept sales high enough to ride them a couple years longer.  Just imagine what they could have built I two years from now. Gpu tech is going to hit a point where the ps4 and x1 are going to be old a lot faster than the ps360 did. That's why I think they won't last 7 years either, they will get outdated faster this gen, and add to that, the cpu cores they both use will get outperformed by an iPhone cpu core(a bit exaggerated but you get the point), so when pc gpu get new tech and better cpu, the very weak cpu and old gpu tech is going to keep the new gen from keeping up as long as the ps360 did. Sorry for the long post, hope it makes sense as I'm extremely tired and sleep deprived....