By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - WiiU down YOY in every region, weekly sales are off

Even if it were on par eith last year it has hade a $50 price cut and a several new games. Any effect thosehade are clearly worn off. Next big game will likely be MK8 in May because even Watch Dogs has been delayed on the Wii-U.

Everything points to an even worse first few months than last year. Even Gamecube could be out of reach at that point.

Around the Network

That sucks. Here I thought they should have released DKC in January to prevent this, but then there would have been an even bigger gap between that game and Mario Kart. They need something for March and April, and NES Remix too won't cut it.

Seece said:
I wonder if Nintendo will miss their shipment forecast? Did they expect to be down in every region?

well they adjusted it down quite a bit ...
it would be sad if they can't even reach that :(

Lusche said:
Seece said:
I wonder if Nintendo will miss their shipment forecast? Did they expect to be down in every region?

well they adjusted it down quite a bit ...
it would be sad if they can't even reach that :(

They did, 6.2m! But they have forecast 390k shipped this Q, same as last year. With only DK (which won't do much outside Japan) it'll be interesting to see if they hit it.

Lusche said:
idk how it would work, but how would you do the yoy npd jan 2013/2014 calculation ?
while it doesn't reflect the weekly numbers because of a 5week to 4week is the calculation of a yoy different ?

The neatest way to handle the situation is to scale relative to number of weeks - so the 2013 numbers, rescaled to a 4 week period, would then be compared with the 2014 numbers (and the 2012 numbers, which also were on a 4 week period). This should actually slightly benefit 2013, since it includes data from a week in which sales would typically be higher than in the rest of January, while 2014 misses that week (I'm referring to 30th of December through 5th of January). So in theory, you should adjust the numbers down just a little further.

A slightly more nuanced approach might be to use VGChartz's numbers for the extra week for the 2013 period (as it's quite old, it has presumably already been "adjusted", so those who complain about accuracy of recent numbers can't complain about this) - subtracting that week off (23,339 for Wii U), we get about 34k, compared with 49k for 2014. Of course, this is now very slightly benefiting 2014, since the 2013 period now includes 2nd of February while 2014 includes 5th of January, and 5th of January should be the slightly better sales day.

VGChartz numbers for the remainder of January 2013 puts it at 43k, so if we were to assume that the total needs adjusting to match NPD, then we have that first week being 17.7k, and thus the total for the remaining four weeks works out to 39-40k. Compared with 49k for 2014.

Really, no matter how you view it, Wii U is up YOY in the US, unless you intentionally ignore the distinct lengths of periods (and if you're happy to ignore the lengths of periods, why not just compare all of 2013 with all of 2014 now?)

Around the Network
Aielyn said:
Lusche said:
idk how it would work, but how would you do the yoy npd jan 2013/2014 calculation ?
while it doesn't reflect the weekly numbers because of a 5week to 4week is the calculation of a yoy different ?

The neatest way to handle the situation is to scale relative to number of weeks - so the 2013 numbers, rescaled to a 4 week period, would then be compared with the 2014 numbers (and the 2012 numbers, which also were on a 4 week period). This should actually slightly benefit 2013, since it includes data from a week in which sales would typically be higher than in the rest of January, while 2014 misses that week (I'm referring to 30th of December through 5th of January). So in theory, you should adjust the numbers down just a little further.

A slightly more nuanced approach might be to use VGChartz's numbers for the extra week for the 2013 period (as it's quite old, it has presumably already been "adjusted", so those who complain about accuracy of recent numbers can't complain about this) - subtracting that week off (23,339 for Wii U), we get about 34k, compared with 49k for 2014. Of course, this is now very slightly benefiting 2014, since the 2013 period now includes 2nd of February while 2014 includes 5th of January, and 5th of January should be the slightly better sales day.

VGChartz numbers for the remainder of January 2013 puts it at 43k, so if we were to assume that the total needs adjusting to match NPD, then we have that first week being 17.7k, and thus the total for the remaining four weeks works out to 39-40k. Compared with 49k for 2014.

Really, no matter how you view it, Wii U is up YOY in the US, unless you intentionally ignore the distinct lengths of periods (and if you're happy to ignore the lengths of periods, why not just compare all of 2013 with all of 2014 now?)

We will, on an alligned scale 2014 is tracking behind 2013.

FYI the weekly average is up 1k a week, it's pittence in itself.

Aielyn said:
Lusche said:

sounds logic and fair ...
I haven't studied statistics, so I trust the others who did to do their things right.

Seece, why is it that you only create threads when WiiU is overtracked, but not when it is undertracked?
Also you're saying it's down in January, will you create a thread next month saying it is up yoy?
I don't want to sound like I am calling you a fanboy, because you do use facts, but when it comes to WiiU, you only post the negative ones.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

DonFerrari said:
brute said:
I doubt WiiU is under 8k in Japan with DK: TF releasing there, also U.S.A is more like 85% not 90( but se are arguing for such small numbers here). Eu could be worse, but it could also be better we shall have to wait for confirmation on that.
I just said why not XbOne because you're saying that the weekly sales are giving us false hope for WiiU, the same could be said for XbOne, could it not?

Well putting xbone doom threads are riskier than wiiu ones. I just hope you aren't implying that seece have fanboyish intentions because even though he is a strong supporter (like the shipped x360 > ps3) he is no apologist.

Nope, I am not calling him a fanboy, just that he is the one to always post negative about WiiU, especially if it is overtracked, yet doesn't do it for the other consoles(well he also does it for 3DS ).

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

brute said:
Seece, why is it that you only create threads when WiiU is overtracked, but not when it is undertracked?
Also you're saying it's down in January, will you create a thread next month saying it is up yoy?
I don't want to sound like I am calling you a fanboy, because you do use facts, but when it comes to WiiU, you only post the negative ones.

When is it undertracked? I don't know if it will be up YOY, but I'm pretty sure VGC will show that anyway so there won't be a need for it?

There isn't much positive WiiU sales news to talk about!!