By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - WiiU down YOY in every region, weekly sales are off

Yikes, and X1's january sales are worse than Wii U's january 2013 sales... this industry's d0med.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Around the Network

defiantly aint gonna hit 10M WW total this year 9M will be a struggle

with ps4 sales booming Xb1 future sales is the only thing worth debating for this gen

Play Me

DonFerrari said:
pastro243 said:
DonFerrari said:
pastro243 said:
I ir ought t

h, I noticed that later, it just happened that I scrolled down the first few pages and I saw like 3 users that joined late 2013 or 2014 basicaly not knowing what NPD was.

Oh, and Go Vita! haha

Well it's more likely that they are alt of banned or embarassed of showing off after ridiculous claims.

Go Vita. I hope it survives enough so I can buy it for second screen.

I think it has to do with the begining of a new gen of consoles, I guess we will have more users now than in the end of last gen

The industry isn't doomed, it just needs a serious dose of killer software.

-PS4 is killing the other 2, but when you look at history, it's really just doing alright. It only sold a few thousand more in it's 1st January then PS3 did. 90 percent of the lineup are games that you can play on your old console, and the only PS4 exclusive games are Knack and Killzone, neither of which got great reviews by any means and no one is calling them must have games by any means.

-Xbox One forcing people to get Kinect was all time stupid. Some people liked the 1st Kinect, but I know for a fact alot of people didn't think it was all that great. Now they are charging $499 for a $399 console and are forcing you to get an accessory that doesn't even impact gameplay. On top of that just like PS4 90 percent of games are ones you can play on your old console. The exclusives are Dead Rising 3 and Forza 5, neither of which are game changing by any means, and Ryse which saw mixed reviews. The software just isn't there right now.

-Wii U is missing everything. People buy Nintendos for Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Zelda, Donkey Kong, and a new very innovative Mario Game. The Wii did great because it was able to pull in a ton of casuals as well with games like Wii Sports and Wii Fit, but even without those games, the Wii still would have been a solid success in the 60 - 70 million range. On top of that Nintendo need's some bombshells. Metroid Prime focused on Multiplayer would help. Pokemon RPG would help alot. Zelda closer to the Ocarina / Twilight Princess style would help. Donkey Kong will help.

The market is just lacking the software right now. If you look at the start of last gen there were some very strong titles that were moving consoles. In the 1st year Wii had Wii Sports, Twilight Princess, Wii Play (With a Remote), Mario Galaxy, Mario Party 8, Mario and Sonic Olympics (Which was the 1st ever Mario+Sonic game, it was a big deal then), Super Paper Mario, Warioware, Mario Strikers, Metroid Prime 3, and Pokemon Battle Revolution. On top of that it was only $250, and it sold 16 million in 2007. Wii U's game lineup is weak as hell when compared to that, not to mention it's $299.

Things can and most likely will get better in the game industry, but it's going to take killer software from everyone. What has become very clear is consoles don't sell themselves. Yes the hardcore fans will jump right away, no matter what but they are really buying for the software that is coming in the future. Most people are content to wait, but the longer people have to wait, the worse the game industry is going to look.

Lol at " PS4 just doing alright " PS4 had the second best first junuary of all times ( ahead of PS2) but it's just doing " alright" ? You need to stop downplaying things.
+ "a console that just launched has not a lot of games" ?

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Around the Network

This is the only report coming from Nintendo in response to January NPD numbers:

Wii U software sales increased by 16% over January of last year. Pokemon X and Y sold more than 125,000 combined units in the US in January, bringing their total sales to more than 3.25 million in the United States. US Super Mario 3D World sales reached 655,000 in January, and The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds sales hit 715,000.

There's no; 3DS/WiiU was the best selling dedicated game system for this month/hardware sales of WiiU/3DS are up __% over January of last year numbers anywhere to be found, which would be in the report if that was the case. So it most likely means the opposite, sadly. In my prediction in another thread i mentioned how Nintendo could regain momentum if they where able to follow the 3DS strategy of releasing 1st and 2nd party retail exclusives on a monthly basis. After February Nintendo Direct, it became painfully obvious that won't be the case. 

Absolutely pathetic. What VGC was posting would have actually not been all that bad for the Wii U, but this...?! Dear Lord.

However, normalized, it's not as bad (as if 49k in a month is good) when compared to 2013, so there's one tinsy good thing.

Seece said:

Their shipments paint a very different picture to that.

Well then by your logic, why do we even bother coming to VGChartz at all, or paying any attention to their attempts at world sales tracking?