By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - playstation 4 looking like its going back to p2 like domination

halil23 said:
allblue said:
Wow, 4 months into release and people are already celebrating. X1 is selling on its own overcoming both that initial negative back lash and $100 gap to boot. There's titanfall, Gears, Halo and others megahit franchises MS can get its hand on with their deep pockets.

X1 can still beat PS4, one generation is a long time.

LMAO, damn you are so funny!

Quoting you for something special later on.

making fun of people's predictions, even though extremely unlikely, is worse than making those predictions.

Around the Network

hm.. I still remember when Wii users were celebrating victory after a few month

it was annoying and in the end most of them ended up being wrong about how big the difference will be at the end - don't make the same mistake guys (well, for most of you it seems to be too late)

Nah bruh. The only thing that will get dominated is the Wii U. X1 will hold its own.

Mummelmann said:

No, that is very unlikely. Shrinking market, shorter cycle, evenly distributed support between xbox/ps and not coming off of the momentum of a dominant market leader will ensure that, not to mention the fluctuation of the market and developr sphere as a whole.

75% + marketshare, monopolized 3rd party support and 14-15 years of sales are a thing of the past, look at how the PS3 is starting to crash (60-70% down yoy), this will also be the case for the PS4 and developing markets follow the trends of matured markets and won't aid it in having a huge life cycle either. Being the market leader won't ensure 150 million sales by default, this is no longer possible with a static product in the fast moving, revisionist consumer electronics market of today.

I'm 100% certain the PS4 will win but I'm equally certain that we will never see anohter PS2 situation; the market simply won't allow it and the conditions would need to be absolutely perfect, the PS2 arrived and thrived in the peak of an old and ongoing development paradigm and at the height of the economy globally and within Sony Corp, the PS4 has launched into the midst of a transitional and evolvement phase of the gaming industry, a console market segment about to suffer a contraction (look at the imploding handheld market) and is fronted by a company with little to no financial muscle to play at price wars or soak any form of losses for any time, and is released in the wake of the worst period in Sony's long history.

There is no way the PS4 will ever dominate or sell like the PS2, even as a market leader; the perfect circumstances are not present for the PS4 and won't be. This is the "Wii is the fastest selling console ever, of course it'll blast past the PS2!" all over again, both are/were equally unrealistic.

To the original poster, I bolded it in case you have bad eyes.  xD This is a perfect explanation of why the PS4 will not mirror the PS2.

PS2 can't be topped, even Dalailama knows that.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Around the Network
superchunk said:
I said this in December and peeps called me crazy.

Sony simply did it the best for the main gaming market.

Though it won't be as bad as ps2. Xbone will sell at least 2x Xbox. Wii U on the other hand might not make it to GC numbers.

Seems more in line, actually. 70-90 million PS4, 40-60 million One, 20-30 million Wii U (really hope Wii U can at least match GC. They're making the right games this time, unlike in the GC era. It'd be a shame for them to get the wrong message about why Wii U isn't working)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

drake4 said:

The console  hasn't even been released in japan is aready kicking ass, if things go well in japan it really could be ps2 all over again

NPD numbers PS4 - 271KXB1 - 141KPS3 ~53.5KWii U ~49K360 ~48.5K

"hasn't even been released in japan"

been reading this a lot. if comgnet preorders mean anything, ps4 japanese launch will be aroung 50% of wii u's launch or less. week 2 and onwards will be tough untill japanese centric software releases.

There's titanfall, Gears, Halo and others megahit franchises MS can get its hand on with their deep pockets.

the 1st titanfall is on xone,and its preorders are a little better than infamous,, the last gears was made by a dif team than epic and was considered the worse of the bunch,now another team has it and it might still be a few years off. bungie didn't make the last halo(although pretty) and was considered the worse of the bunch... ms has always had deep pockets... xone is doing pretty good,but looks bad because of the new ps2 of the world(ps4) is disappearing off shelves quicker than twinkies in front of fat chicks.

How short people's memories are.

Does everybody just not remember the first 1-2 years of the PS3's existence? If I recall correctly, it was frequently being outsold by the GBA. I remember a distinct period where like, over 6 weeks, the only game that released on the PS3 was a Pirates of the Carribbean tie-in title.

Meanwhile, the Wii was literally sold out consistently for at least half a year. To be honest, I cannot remember how the 360 was doing, but I think it was still outselling the PS3 on a weekly basis by quite some margin.

Point is... look how radically things can change over the course of the generation. To make any real predictions beyond a few months is just laughably stupid. It's the pretence of knowledge. To then go on and predict such extreme outcomes just moves it from laughably stupid, to pure moronic.

---

I don't think Microsoft are very good competitors. I personally don't think they'd survive in a free market environment. Too much of their revenue comes from military, educational and other state contracts, and some inertia from their fantastic performance decades back in securing major corporate contracts.

To be fair, the evidence seems to be showing that neither Sony or Nintendo are fantastic, either. So there's that. But I personally don't see Microsoft being able to pull off a turnaround like Sony did, without major restructuring in the company (which may well happen - new CEO) (it also took heads rolling in the Playstation division to block the hole in that Titanic, too).

Except this Tim there won't be a 130 million gap between first and second place.