By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - After seeing Bayonetta 2 and 'X' in action today...

The PS4's power seems...

Better, but not THAT much better anymore... 241 15.42%

Are you crazy?! The PS4 is GOD! 349 22.33%

The Wii U is clearly unde... 741 47.41%

The PS4 is selling better... 36 2.30%

I think I'll be buying a... 191 12.22%

Total:1,558
Scoobes said:
How the hell does this thread manage to keep going based on a couple of vids of two unreleased games?!

Simple:

On one hand, you have people who believe the Wii U is in the same league as the PS3 and 360 in terms of horsepower, based on the evidence so far provided to the consumer in the form of the games that have been released so far for the console. Could be slightly more powerful than those consoles, but still in the same league. Factual observations are king here. People judge the hardware based on the performance of the titles released for the console so far.

On the other hand, you have people grasping at every straws possible to come up with reasons why the games released for the Wii U so far haven't placed the console in a class clearly above the HD twins. Assumptions made facts rule for this group. People of this group believe the developers releasing games for the Wii U are lazy and don't give their games any love when making them for the console. And Nintendo don't push their consoles at all. Not even with Pikmin and SM3DW.

Both sides arguing over this because, most likely, they're bored. I know I am.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

- That's only accounting for core count and clock speed, not the 12-fold cache increase which will boost performance.

- But you have to manage your code so that the cache can work well with it.

- Assymetrical cache amounts means the "main" core has to be prioritised, as Shin'en did with Nano Assault Neo, running essentially the whole game on that one core.

That's it's theoretical limit ... No amount of cache will increase it ... It will probably help sustain the real world application performance but it can't go above that 15 Gflops limit. 

Hynad said:

On the other hand, you have people grasping at every straws possible to come up with reasons why the games released for the Wii U so far haven't placed the console in a class clearly above the HD twins. Assumptions made facts rule for this group. People of this group believe the developers releasing games for the Wii U are lazy and don't give their games any love when making them for the console. And Nintendo don't push their consoles at all. Not even with Pikmin and SM3DW.

Both sides arguing over this because, most likely, they're bored. I know I am.

Not grasping at straws; using common sense and logic.

It's common sense that ports designed for other consoles with different architecture and an extra 6-7 years of dev experience won't show a new system's full power. Especially when they don't even use the system's larger RAM.

It's also clear that Nintendo hasn't pushed the hardware either given that (A) their games so far are simplistic in design and do not prioritise graphics, and (B) they themselves are inexperienced in both HD development and programmable shaders.

fatslob-:O said:
curl-6 said:

- That's only accounting for core count and clock speed, not the 12-fold cache increase which will boost performance.

- Assymetrical cache amounts means the "main" core has to be prioritised, as Shin'en did with Nano Assault Neo, running essentially the whole game on that one core.

That's it's theoretical limit ... No amount of cache will increase it ... It will probably help sustain the real world application performance but it can't go above that 15 Gflops limit. 

Real world performance is more important than theoretical, because the former is what we'll actually see in games.

curl-6 said:
curl-6 said:

Real world performance is more important than theoretical, because the former is what we'll actually see in games.

Actually there are cases where you will hit theoretical performances in applications such as bitcoin mining and ray tracing. To HPC workloads it is very important to have high theoretical performance because these applications depend on throughput.

Around the Network

So... do you guys get up in the morning and say: "Jeez, I feel like arguing today"

Anyway, this thread is quite entertaining and its neat to see the different views that people have regarding graphix and performance of consoles, specially the wiiU, keep it up guys

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

So... do you guys get up in the morning and say: "Jeez, I feel like arguing today"

Anyway, this thread is quite entertaining and its neat to see the different views that people have regarding graphix and performance of consoles, specially the wiiU, keep it up guys

Are you learning anything from this thread yet ? 

curl-6 said:
curl-6 said:

Actually there are cases where you will hit theoretical performances in applications such as bitcoin mining and ray tracing. To HPC workloads it is very important to have high theoretical performance because these applications depend on throughput.

People mine bitcoins on Wii U?

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

Are you learning anything from this thread yet ? 

Yea, quite a bit, didn't realize how much theories and facts and assumptions  goes into determining how much power a console has... Hard to tell who is winning though since both of you make valid points as well as odd ones

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

curl-6 said:
curl-6 said:
curl-6 said:

People mine bitcoins on Wii U?

You get the idea ... It's not as black and white as it seems on performance. There ARE applications that are bounded by theorectical performance. Rendering in general is becoming more bounded by the shading power of a GPU.