By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What to expect from Nintend Direct Feb 13 2014

I guess we will get some news for mk8, tropical freeze and Yoshis New Island.
Would like to see Bayonetta or X filling the gap between DKCTF and MK8, but i doubt it...
Maybe something about Yarn Yoshi? Long time since we heard something about it.

If you're interested in Nintendo content and understand german, maybe you want to take a look at my youtube channel! :)

https://www.youtube.com/user/RealGamingExpert

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
What I expect:

Legend of Zelda Wii U reveal
Mario Galaxy U reveal
Final Fantasy 7 remake for Wii U
Grand Theft Auto V for Wii U
A brand new handheld

I don't think Nintendo will disappoint!

Mario galaxy u and Zelda u, I don't think they'll show those, and ff7, gtav and a new handheld?!.... Bartender!! I'll have what he's having!

generic-user-1 said:

3d world dlc in april. and if we are lucky super maio sunshine hd in may

They've ruled out DLC in interviews. But since it's their top-selling title right now, it wouldn't be a bad idea. You gotta get people to keep on turning on their wii U for some reason.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

fleischr said:
generic-user-1 said:

3d world dlc in april. and if we are lucky super maio sunshine hd in may

They've ruled out DLC in interviews. But since it's their top-selling title right now, it wouldn't be a bad idea. You gotta get people to keep on turning on their wii U for some reason.

a nslbu like dlc would be nice

cannonballZ said:
If they talk about anything other than DKC I would be surprised. I'm really not expecting much out of these directs anymore.

I feel about Nintendo Direct like an abused wife / husband might feel. I know it is bad for me to expect Nintendo to do something special to make me feel good, but I have that hope anyway. It is only because in the past they have done something special, that I keep holding out in that hope.

Unfortunately, most of the time, I just get disappointed because Nintendo is just that abusive to its fans. They want to make people smile, but they succeed mostly in making them sad or angry. At least they mean well.

My therapist says I need to move on and see other gaming platforms...

Around the Network

Just one question: which time?

LemonSlice said:

in 5 hours 

I don't expect anything, the only secure way to avoid disappointment.

PS2|Wii|DS lite|3DS XL|PSP|Android

AwakeandAlive said:
LemonSlice said:

in 5 hours 

Niiiiice, thanks. :)

sundin13 said:
Hamister said:

My comments to your comments are as followed:

You are right that a HD remake of Wii Sports was released for eShop last year. However, that remake clearly isn't the Wii Sports game that was promoting the Wii U at E3 2011. There are three ways to go on this; 1) the game footage shown at E3 was just a mock up, 2) The game was in development but got scrapped, 3) The game is still in development. Either way, the Wii Sports on eShop isn't a true successor to the original game, and it does not utilise the unique Wii U functions, so it hardly counts as a thing on Wii U.

You are right that it's too soon to reveal an NFC game (even though ideas for such games must have been in the planning stages well before the Wii U was concieved, otherwise Nintendo would not have included such a hardware feature in the Wii U). However, Nintendo could still reveal a game meant to utilise the NFC-functions, but not reveal that specific detail yet. Therefore a wouldn't rule out a potential presentation of Pokemon Stadium U tomorrow, with further revelations about the game later on (such as NFC support).

I've seen lists of Indie games, and they strengthen my arguments. Only thing lacking in those lists is a grand licensing plan for indie developers to use Nintendo's franchises. If Iwata is serious about his licensing plan revealed a couple of weeks ago, indie developers must be included. It would be a major bomb to let indie developers use Mario-characters. I also believe developers would migrate to Wii U after such a revelation.

A. Wii Sports U: I'm am not quite sure what you are talking about. I was operating under the assumption that you were talking about the Golf demo where you put the gamepad at your feed and you could see the ball and the club. That is currently on the Wii U. It happened. If I am wrong, please correct me. Otherwise, Wii Sports U will not have even a fraction of the impact it had on Wii...there is really no point from a market perspective (in my opinion)

B. NFC: Actually, in the Nintendo investor meeting in January, Nintendo informally announced that they were working on something NFC related. We don't know whether it is specifically a game but the widespread assumption is that they will formally announce an NFC game at E3. Once again, it could happen but it is unlikely.

C. Indie Devs: Nintendo will never allow unproven indie devs to use their franchises. That would decrease the importance of that software and wear down their name. We already have enough clones of Nintendo games, there is no need to allow them free access to use the actual characters. This is quite possibly one of the worst ideas I have ever heard. While it may cause some indie devs to "migrate to WiiU", getting indie devs was never the problem and they certainly aren't the solution...

A. The game you refer to is Wii Sports Club. To my knowledge it has never been available as a whole game. Portions of the game are available through eShop, but to my knowledge Baseball and Boxing is not yet available. More importantly though, it hasn't been available through the retail channels, and that's where a game meant to attract casual gamers really has its greatest potential. As of now, Wii Sports Club on the eShop is nothing more than a demo.

I do agree with you that a new Wii Sports game for Wii U won't have a fraction of the impact it had on Wii. However, sales of Wii Party U clearly shows that there is still a casual market willing to buy software for Wii U, and probably hardware aswell. Nintendo would be nuts if they didn't take the opportunity to attract that market in a grander fasion than releasing a demo version of Wii Sports Club on eShop.

Also to take into consideration are the extremely low development costs for a Wii Sports U type of game. Nintendo could probably break even with sales of around 100 000 copies.

All in all a Wii Sports Club (or and enhanced Wii Sports Club under the name Wii Sports U) makes a lot of sense to me. Atleast we should be able to agree that such a game wouldn't hurt :)

B. I think you're right that NFC content will most likely be shown at E3 at the earliest. But I won't rule out that Nintendo might unveal a game prior to E3 (perhaps even today), that later on will be revealed to utilise NFC.

C. I've never suggested Nintendo will let unproven indie developers use Nintendo's franchises. What I'm suggesting is that Nintendo through a better dialogue with indie developers, can encourage them to add Nintendo franchises to games in development once a game has proven to have a certain quality and market potential. Nintendo already has a similar strategy with some second party developers and it shouldn't be too hard to broaden such a strategy to include more second party developers as well as indie developers, and at the same time maintain a certain degree of quality. Nintendo probably has more than 100 different game franchises to their disposal. Some have not been used since the mid 80's. It'll probably take half a century for Nintendo to re-use all those franchises through first and second part developers.