By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Best RPG of 2007 gets even better

Thread isn't about Mass Effect. Thread fails.

Seriously, The Witcher isn't that great. I played a bit of it and it pretty much holds up to Yahtzee's criticisms: it's a single-player MMORPG with dull combat and horrid voice acting.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Around the Network

I am definitely looking forward to Mass Effect on PC more...but that's because I like the sci-fi action more than medieval games lately...superfluous busty women in The Witcher aside.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Garcian Smith said:

Seriously, The Witcher isn't that great. I played a bit of it and it pretty much holds up to Yahtzee's criticisms: it's a single-player MMORPG with dull combat and horrid voice acting.

yahtzee hates RPGs, he found Mass Effect boring too. The Witcher has an awesome story, and there is a reason why it's higher rated than Mass Effect by users. The combat is fine, never heard anyone complain about it, same as the voice acting. The only problem that relates to voice acting was the bad english translation, and that is getting fixed in the Enhanced edition.

And the fact that you "played a bit" doesn't make you an expert on the game, because you'd know that the beginning of The Witcher is actually the worst part.

When I do plan to get this game, it will be the enhanced version. I always thought the whole lore surrounding this game was good.

Hi, this is Vince with Shamwow.

Garcian Smith said:

I thought this thread was going to be about more Mass Effect DLC. Glad to see I wasn't the only one that was disappointed to see that this was a Witcher thread. I am not saying the Witcher is a bad game, my friend has it on PC, but from what I have seen of I'd give the nod to Mass Effect.

Around the Network

shio you cant say mass effect has a lower user rated then witcher because more people think the witcher is better. It is well known that fanboys pop in a zero for 360 games etc so it can never be accurate.

Owner of all consoles cept DS.....Currently in love with prototype!

also the witcher has 10 points less in terms of critic review

Owner of all consoles cept DS.....Currently in love with prototype!

Eh, I was pretty impressed by it at first, but as I continued to play the combat just got too repetitive, and then translation and voice acting issues started showing up. In the end I wasn't able to finish it. That's saying a lot, because I finish nearly every game I start (I'm slightly OCD and it bugs me if I don't). So yeah, atm I would say it wasn't even in the top 10 for me. I do know a couple people who swear by it though, and they are the ones who convinced me to play it. It just wasn't my cup of tea in the end.

Just read a review. WANT HAVE. Looks awesome. PS3 port please my PC is not up to date anymore.

Bingoo said:
shio you cant say mass effect has a lower user rated then witcher because more people think the witcher is better. It is well known that fanboys pop in a zero for 360 games etc so it can never be accurate.

in terms of user rating The Witcher is higher, that is all we know.

Bingoo said:
also the witcher has 10 points less in terms of critic review

The Witcher was mostly ignored by magazines, coming from unknown eastern european developers, and with almost no hype and advertisement, even though sites like gamerankings never counted any of The Witcher's perfect 10's. Mass Effect on the other hand, hype, reputation, console exclusive, had it all going for it.