By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Smash Bros. Brawl Average Review Rating 100%

Grey Acumen said:
I look at SSBB and I see these aspects:

Massive single player mode WITH 2 player cooperative play
Up to 4 way VS mode with options for 3 vs 1, 2 vs 2, 2 vs 1 and free for all
Huge character selection roster of major video game icons
Uses damage instead of a health bar, BUT can be SET to a health bar play style
Simple play style that doesn't bog down with randomly determined chain combos
4 different control options all of which have fully customized control setups
Online play WITH spectator mode
Ability to create customized stages
All sorts of other stuff like trophies, stickers, training mode, photo snapping, virtual console demos, tons of songs, costumes, item frequency adjustments, training modes with cooperative play, PC, and more.

What the heck else can you ask for from a game? Maybe one or two other characters that didn't make the cut? Even my favorite games, I've had things I've said "if only they had included this or this, it'd be perfect" I'm hard pressed to find ANYTHING I can think of that could be added to this game.

You gotta add Panter from Star Wolf's team and give him a landmaster (sarcasm)

Anyway yes its a fighting game with one of the most expanded cusomization options ever, with all the different types of controllers that are all customizable and then map editing which could carry the game on for years alone just like Starcraft still has new maps coming out all the time.  Then a huge roster of characters, any gripe would be nit picking.  I don't think it's going to be the greatest game ever but maybe one of the best for this generation, and probably best fighting game this gen.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Around the Network

See...Brawl will be perfect, until the next Smash Bros game in 7 years is announced...then Brawl will be flawed. There's hardly anything I dislike with Brawl, but a new game on a new system could be better...that's something that I don't care about now though.

Sakurai made Brawl with the mindset that this would be the LAST Smash Bros. game though...hence no need for a sequel.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

BenKenobi88 said:
Riot Of The Blood said:
Chrizum said:

Let me show where you failed, then. "This will be the only fighting game to score 90% this entire generation, which will be idiotic."

So 90% is grossly overrated for this game? We both know the average score for this game won't stay 100%, so quit acting like a jerk.

Scores like 100% and 97% are overrated for any game. The theme of my post -- and my iconic argument -- was that only Nintendo's games and shooters are getting high scores. 90% is in no way overrated for this game, but there are other fighting games that deserve a similar score. Smash Brothers does outperform other Fighting game to the point where it's the only game of the genre to score 90%. There are other hih quality fighting games out there as well.

Smash Bros is not like other fighters though. It has a ton of customization, stage building, huge adventure game, etc, etc, etc...it's a huge improvement over the last game...a bigger improvement than any fighting game I've ever seen. Soul Caliber 4 to 5 will not be as revolutionary, but nor should it be, we wouldn't want to mess up a good thing. But that's the problem that fighters face with reviewers...they tend to give sequels lower scores, even if the fans only want an evolution, nothing hugely different.

With Smash though...the more the better, as long as the fighting mechanics are basically the same, Nintendo's free to add tons of crap to the game for the better. I haven't seen a 10 hour adventure game using Street Fighter or Tekken mechanics, or a Mortal Kombat "make your own arena" yet.

I have seen some adventure games made from the MK series, the horrid things they are, short stupid and don't handle well, Nintendo made a better adventure game inside of a already huge fighting game.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Which reviewer will ruin the perfect score streak?

NJ5 said:

If no game should get 10/10, then why would the scale go from zero to ten?

Mummelmann said:

Ocarina of Time has 99%, don't anyone tell me that this game deserves better reviews...

Have you played it? ;)

No, but I have played Ocarina of Time and the previous Smash Brothers games, none of the latter which are scored higher than 92 on average. It'll be a great game and will be played to death for years to come, but I just don't see why this Smash Bros in particular would do a whole lot better than its predeccessors. Does anyone have any idea how impossibly hard it is to get a 100% average review score? And a game in and on itself can be nearly perfect without getting a perfect score, all it takes is a person it doesn't appeal to.

Around the Network

I'm not saying IGN is right for it, but if you listened to their podcasts they are completely ignorant about Smash, its gameplay, and its appeal. They will not review this game higher than a 9. Which is too bad, because it shows those completely ignorant of a game are still allowed to review it.

In other news, I played the game for a few hours this afternoon at a friend of a friend's place. After playing it, I can say with confidence that this game could usurp Chrono Trigger as my favorite game of all time, and I'm sure it will usurp everything except World of Warcrat as my most played game ever. I'll post impressions on my time with the game in the Brawl thread later.

naznatips said:
I'm not saying IGN is right for it, but if you listened to their podcasts they are completely ignorant about Smash, its gameplay, and its appeal. They will not review this game higher than a 9. Which is too bad, because it shows those completely ignorant of a game are still allowed to review it.

In other news, I played the game for a few hours this afternoon at a friend of a friend's place. After playing it, I can say with confidence that this game could usurp Chrono Trigger as my favorite game of all time, and I'm sure it will usurp everything except World of Warcrat as my most played game ever. I'll post impressions on my time with the game in the Brawl thread later.

You sonofabitch...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Go Brawl!

All of you people who clearly don't know what smash is, watch this trailer before typing anything else.. it will show you just how different it is from other fighting games, and just how many features it has (to those who know what smash is, also check it out - no spoilers)

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/super-smash-bros-brawl/super-smash-bros-brawl-video-premiere/1186004

EDIT: if it shows a bit pixelated, refresh the page - i'm not sure why it does that, but it should be clear - stupid yahoo videos

"I have heartburn" lol. That trailer is officially from Nintendo, not Yahoo-made like they claim, but whatever hehe.

I always forget Brawl has demos of a bunch of games as well...seeing Super Metroid and Star Fox 64 playable inside Brawl is just amazing hehe.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM