By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Real world criticism for talking about gaming.

Where I live, it's pretty typical to talk about gaming between men and women. That is very unprofessional of your co worker and disrespectful.

Around the Network
Callum_Alexander said:

This is something that actually quite annoys me. Here in the UK there seems to be a stigma attached to gaming, at least with the people I interact with. As an example, a while back me and my boyfriend decided to get our own place, but before we found somewhere my mum moved to a different city so I moved into my boyfriends dad's house. I get on with my boyfriend's little sister very, very well, and whilst living there I bought Borderlands. Whilst playing it, my boyfriend's sister came into the room and started watching, then she wanted to join in and we both got really into having two-players on Borderlands. I bought Borderlands 2 (didn't buy the original until just before Borderlands 2 released) and we both played that A LOT! During this time I began noticing my boyfriend's dad giving me disapproving looks and complaining loudly about gaming in general, and complaining to the sister that she should be doing something constructive. He watched TV a lot, and I believe gaming is a far superior pursuit as you are actually interacting with the on-screen content as opposed to just sitting there mindlessly watching.

Excuse the story, but to cut it short, yes video games seem to be frowned upon whilst watching TV is perfectly acceptable.

Amen! This is what I always say! How can people criticise and tell you to do something more constructive when often they sit there just passively watching junk TV/ getting drunk/ gossiping. These things aren't "constructive" either but like you said, at least with gaming there is interaction

Sometimes I feel like a loser playing video games at almost 34,but coming on hear makes me feel better about it. It's not like a play them 24/7.

DamnTastic said:
Lol, I get this a lot. Especially from people in my class.

Always when we're on PC's I check VGChartz and Bloomberg/Stocktwits to see what's up.
Somehow they think it's weird or whatever they think of it.

Meanwhile they have to check FB or whatever every hour, which in my point of view I couldn't care less about.
But I don't bitch about that.

But oh well, double standards are everywhere I guess.

THIS X10000 I find it so ironic that people might think what we do is nerdy yet..they spend alomost all their time updating thier facebook/twitter account! talk about double standards...

DamnTastic said:
Lol, I get this a lot. Especially from people in my class.

Always when we're on PC's I check VGChartz and Bloomberg/Stocktwits to see what's up.
Somehow they think it's weird or whatever they think of it.

Meanwhile they have to check FB or whatever every hour, which in my point of view I couldn't care less about.
But I don't bitch about that.

But oh well, double standards are everywhere I guess.

Around the Network
Majora said:
Callum_Alexander said:

This is something that actually quite annoys me. Here in the UK there seems to be a stigma attached to gaming, at least with the people I interact with. As an example, a while back me and my boyfriend decided to get our own place, but before we found somewhere my mum moved to a different city so I moved into my boyfriends dad's house. I get on with my boyfriend's little sister very, very well, and whilst living there I bought Borderlands. Whilst playing it, my boyfriend's sister came into the room and started watching, then she wanted to join in and we both got really into having two-players on Borderlands. I bought Borderlands 2 (didn't buy the original until just before Borderlands 2 released) and we both played that A LOT! During this time I began noticing my boyfriend's dad giving me disapproving looks and complaining loudly about gaming in general, and complaining to the sister that she should be doing something constructive. He watched TV a lot, and I believe gaming is a far superior pursuit as you are actually interacting with the on-screen content as opposed to just sitting there mindlessly watching.

Excuse the story, but to cut it short, yes video games seem to be frowned upon whilst watching TV is perfectly acceptable.

Amen! This is what I always say! How can people criticise and tell you to do something more constructive when often they sit there just passively watching junk TV/ getting drunk/ gossiping. These things aren't "constructive" either but like you said, at least with gaming there is interaction

Exactly! I don't watch TV as I find it boring, I don't gossip as I respect other people's privacy and understand that gossiping can actually do A LOT of harm, and I don't drink because I don't really like alcohol or the effect it has on me. I think gaming actually benefits us, especially games that contain puzzles or require you to actually concentrate, most of which do to some degree.

Not at school, because younger people are much more understanding of gaming culture.

I had an internship, but part of it involved replicating gaming bugs, so my co-workers understood the appeal of gaming, even if they didn't play.

And my parents at first was critical, but now it's only my mom after I got my dad to try Wii Sports and Mario Kart. Grandma's silent on the issue and grandpa is accepting. My 21-year-old cousin and my brothers probably make the most fun of me gaming compared to everyone I know.