By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What exactly went wrong with the PS Vita?

iPhone/Android happened.

Consumers over the age of 13 don't want a gaming handheld anymore. Their smartphone is "cooler" and lets them browse the internet, social network, watch movies/TV show, listen to music, and play the odd game here and there for free-99 cents. 

Nintendo owns the under-13 market and has its legion of Nintendo fans that are what's keeping them going.

Vita having neither was basically like a tiny island getting hit by a massive tsunami ... they never even had a chance.

Around the Network

1: Memory cards: Way too expensive.

2: Lack of titles that appeal to western gamers. But if you want jrpgs then your right at home

3: Smartphones

Obscure Vita 2014 games to look out for

Kick and Fennick Murusaki Baby Metrico

kupomogli said:
pokoko said:

The Vita actually is getting a lot of quality games. The "it only has ports" line you some people parrot is ridiculous. They just aren't the games that pull consumers into the store en masse, as most of them are not established franchises.

The "Vita only has ports" line is actually true.  Like I said a couple of comments ago, the Vita only has 20 retail exclusives, and retail games are what sells your console.  Having a mere 20 exclusives is weak.  Not only is that less than one per month, not all of those are going to be good, plus everyone has different tastes and won't enjoy all the same games. 

With hardly any exclusives, the system has no identity of its own.  Might as well just purchase a PS3 and not even bother with the Vita.  I got tired of defending the Vita's shitty line up when Sony got tired of giving a damn about the system.

If you don't want a handheld then why are you even worrying about a Vita?  That makes no sense.

The Xbox 360 didn't have a high stream of exclusives and did fine.  You think the Xbox One and PS4 are going to have one retail exclusive per month?  I'm not going to say, "oh no, I can't play DanganRonpa, Zero Escape, or Dragon's Crown because it was on another console!"  I'm also not quite understanding the logic of "it has 20 non-ports but it only has ports".  

Dark_Lord_2008 said:
Selling less than 7.5 million of the 50 million sales and less than 15% market share. I do not see the PSVita staying above 10% market share this generation as the 3DS continues to surge towards 200 million sales.

200? Be lucky to reach 100 million at this point.

pokoko said:

If you don't want a handheld then why are you even worrying about a Vita?  That makes no sense.

The Xbox 360 didn't have a high stream of exclusives and did fine.  You think the Xbox One and PS4 are going to have one retail exclusive per month?  I'm not going to say, "oh no, I can't play DanganRonpa, Zero Escape, or Dragon's Crown because it was on another console!"  I'm also not quite understanding the logic of "it has 20 non-ports but it only has ports".  

I own a Vita. so don't lump me in with the whole baseless assumption crowd. 

You're using the whole "exclusives doesn't matter" and the "it's a portable" argument.  Most people who are going to be interested in the Vita own a PS3 and most of those people are going to more often use the Vita in their home rather than while they're out and about.  So really if you own a PS3, what point is there in getting a Vita when all but 20 of those games are playable on the system?  I sometimes bring my Vita to friends homes, but there's nothing to make me want to purchase all my games over again so I can play them when I get there.  I have the patience to play them later when I come home if I really want to play them. 

The whole "exclusives don't matter" argument on the other hand.  If you were to have four systems and each system were to have the same games, then there's no reason to get more than one system.  Having no identiy of its own makes it a worthless purchase and I would recommend any other console other than the Vita if someone asked my opinion right now.

I bought a Vita day one because it actually had a good launch line up, but if I knew support was going to be this bad I wouldn't have wasted my money.  There are less than 10 games worth playing that I can't play on my PS3, and the ones that I can play on my PS3, I can wait until until I g et home to play them.  Aside from Dragon's Crown, the ports are hardly good enough to warrant wasting even more money just so I can play them a limited time while not at home.

*edit*

Also.  As of right now, there are five Xbox One retail exclusives(not on 360.)  1/4th of the available Vita exclusives.  You don't think there will be 15 more within two years?  I do. 

Around the Network

An owners Retrospective on where Sony went wrong:

Storage.  The Ipod shuffle came with 2 and 4x more memory in 2005 than the Vita 2000 in 2014 even though it only played songs. 32 and 64GB cards at about 100 to 120 Sony has effectively doubled the cost of the device to be used as they admit customers use it as an iPod of games.  They really need to get rid of proprietary storage.  They should just have us DRM format a regular SD card for use with the system.  Then they could have even afforded to bundle memory so that it really could be ready to use as people would happen to use the device.  I really think that if they ever do create another portable console that is a mantra they should repeat to themselves. Ipod of games.  

Most of the initial development funds for the consoles were badly spent.  Resistance Burning Skies, Modnation Racers, Little Deviants, Reality Fighters, Ratchet and Clank FFA, Escape Plan, Forbisher Says, Smart As and quite a few more probably shouldn't have been made. If I could get 8 more alternative titles with similar budgets in the right genres that could help the platform greatly. I mean 2 of those are very dead and declining ips.

Sony doesn't understand markets outside of teenage to mid twenties douchebag male and their software line up shows it. Smart As and Little Deviants weren't bad games but they probably wont appeal to grandma and grandpa cause the names are kind of vulgar and depraved sounding.  If Brain Age were made by younger more immature folk this is what it would be.  This kind of thing will prevent them from appealing to the larger markets.

Sony really need to find a way to easily update the licenses on their older library of games so that they can be quickly and easily added to new devices. PS classics roll out was a disaster and part of the reason I waited on the platform longer than I initially thought I would.  Working with making those licenses more easily transferable with themselves and smoothing out the process for 3rd parties should be a high concern especially as they increase the number of devices capable of playing the games.  There are still some games like the 

No marketing at all that I've seen.  Software efforts mean nothing if I don't know the software exists.  I keep up with forums and internet news and half the time I don't have the skinny on when stuff is gonna happen on Vita(Still wanting a Rogue Legacy date).  How depressing must it seem to someone whom isn't such a voracious consumer such as myself.  They really need a Nintendo Direct style PSN thing to inform consumers about new games and such.  A digital magazine for Vita maybe. A campaign of attractive females playing Vitas in theaters at Sony films during previews.  Anything in addition to and more substantial than a blog.  

3rd parties are on mobile. Getting Unity support is a good start but to make sure that Vita can at least get parity you are going to have to pull an ID@Xbox and subsidize the unity addon costs them incentive to include your platform.  Free marketing and 10-25% in royalties as opposed to standard 70/30 would probably give a ton of attention to the platform.  Might even entice SE and Crapcom EA and a few others back on over into your camp for their smaller projects and that they can get to your platform at competitive price points.  

Given the success of the iPod and it's lack of retail stuff I would argue that exclusives period are all you need like iTunes and that Sony and Vita simply don't have as much content and variety to match that market.  Sad thing is PSV matches up to the iPad really well hardwrae wise and shouldn't require much tweaking to get software running on PSV it's just that Sony hasn't made that sexy enough proposition to developers.   

The one reason I refuse to buy a Vita are the proprietary memory cards which are way too expensive, especially in the UK. I believe that's why lots of people not buying a vita.

Current consoles: Wii U, Gaming PC

Add me on Wii U! Adamjh99

Add me on Steam! GamingByAdam

Memory crads are too expensive and lack of exclusives that appeal to your typical dudebro gamer  or  kids.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

If you ask me, Sony did nothing wrong. They got plenty of games for the system, even if they didn't make most of them themselves. The hardware is top notch. It does everything and in an instant. Multitasking without delay, party chat and all that stuff people asked for for next gen, it was already here in 2012. The price? Not an issue. It came at the same launch price as the mighty underpowered 3DS for crying out loud. Today, you'll find a Vita for 149 €, sometimes 99 €. Doesn't help the sales so the price is not the problem.

There is only one single problem: people just don't want that thing. The Wii U also has that exact problem.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.