By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Hates Campers. Is it a legitimate strategy?

Tagged games:

Is Camping a Legit Strategy?

Yes 55 45.83%

No 32 26.67%

Only with a sniper. 29 24.17%

Only if you don't know the game yet. 3 2.50%

Total:119
kupomogli said:

Camping just kills competitive gaming. I mean sure, it's a strategy you can use, but if you pick a camping spot that no one is going it be able to sneak up on you, out of many, many spots like that in many competitive multiplayer games, you have a better reaction time to kill someone that pops around the corner than they have at killing you. Even if they know you're there, the distance you are away already with a good shot aimed, it'll be too difficult to counter.

It really takes no skill to sit there and camp. You're wasting time just sitting there doing nothing, although since you can snap in Netflix on the Xbox One now, you can watch Netflix while you're camping, so hey, that is one reason to own an Xbox One. 10-20 minute matches of sitting in one spot waiting for someone to pop into view. When you are against an entire team who does it though, it's a bit ridiculous.

Spawn camping is even worse when they have a couple people behind one spawn point, a couple people behind the other, no matter where you spawn you're going to get raped.

That's a developer flaw, not a gamer one. I rmemeber one time some group claimed like 500 kills in a single cod game, using spawn camping. That was the fault of the developers to not use a metric for area spawning. Instead, they just went with random spawn locations.

It's up to the gamer to decide how they want to play. If there is legitimacy behind camping a spot, then you should be able to. The only time camping should be disallowed or punished, is when it comes to the detriment of the other players.

For example, camping spawn in counterstrike. It only served one purpose. Make enemy team think (after some time) that the remaining enemy member was afk and sitting at spawn, wherein several would show up with knives...only to run into camper's ak47. This came as the result of sometimes sitting for several minutes while nothing happened. Literally, nothing...not like the analogy you made. I'm not even sure I've ever seen someone camp for that long. it's usually 1-2 minutes in a popular area, not some part of the map where nobody goes. And the real detriment for counterstrike is that you can't end the match and respawn without one side winning.

Modern fps multiplayer is usually constant respawn, which ensures that the game doesn't slow down too much if a few people camp.

Long story short is don't blame the gamer for using the system to his advantage.

Besides, you learn those spots really quickly, and there are ways to flush people out of them.

Around the Network

There should be more stats in games.. In football we have stats like how many meters a player has covered in a match.. That should be displayed in game and the player who covered the least distance should get a big ass CAMPER tag above him...

*pm me for my paypal account if any developer reads this and wants to use it

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

They should add a Crank mode. If you sit still too long, you die.

Camping is one of the reasons I don't play online shooters anymore. I like old school fast run and gun style gameplay which is not fun with campers or snipers.

SvennoJ said:

Camping is one of the reasons I don't play online shooters anymore. I like old school fast run and gun style gameplay which is not fun with campers or snipers.

COD Ghosts actually did that lol

if you are playing a competitive whatever,.. you can't get mad at the participants for doing whatever it takes to find a competitive advantage.

...if you don't want campers in your game make it so camping is disadvantageous. 

a guy from blizzard made a quote about game design that always stuck with me.  although i can't find the specific quote right now it was like, "gamers will always take advantage of an exploit in a game even if the exploit makes the game not fun.  the most important detail of good game design is to eliminate all the exploits."

Around the Network

when i play FPS ill camp but only with a sniper rifle as running around with one isnt exactly thier biggest strength, camping is fine as long as its not spawn camping thats when its bad, when you cant even come back to life before getting killed.if you know a guy is in a spot camping and you cant get to him dont go near that place in the end the camper wont get kills and you wont die from said camper.

SvennoJ said:

Dammit, why didn't they make Crank into a video game? Oh wait, that's how everyone plays Grand Theft Auto.

Shouldn't be hard for the game maker to put countermeasures in place to prevent camping. Like if someone gets more than 2 kills within a spawn point an indestructable gun turret appears for 1 minute that kills all enemies as soon as they break cover even slightly (i.e. to take a shot). And if you get killed by a turret then you lose XP or something. Or there's an incendiary purge wave that shoots out 360 degrees from a spawn point if more than 2 players die within the spawn area and no matter whether you're behind cover or not you die.

OTOH, in real life, if you can surround an enemy LZ and take them out as they arrive then that's the best tactic to win your battle right? Kill the reinforcements as they arrive and before they can organise themselves. That's what camping is. If you're team isn't good enough to prevent camping then perhaps the campers deserve to be in that dominant position.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Camping is pretty similar to OP characters in fighting games. It's 100% the dev's fault, but the community has banded together and made their own rules. Want to play as metaknight in a competition? Nope. Want to camp in a COD competition? Nope. It's gamers deciding they know better than the devs.

JoeTheBro said:
Camping is pretty similar to OP characters in fighting games. It's 100% the dev's fault, but the community has banded together and made their own rules. Want to play as metaknight in a competition? Nope. Want to camp in a COD competition? Nope. It's gamers deciding they know better than the devs.

Well yeah its always easy to ban something like that in a pro-like competition. But in something like random matchmaking those rules don't apply.