By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Art of Balance announced for Wii U: 240fps physics!

eyeofcore said:
chapset said:
I'll pick the ps4 version at 4K resolution and 1k fps and will play it on my 27 inch crt tv, also I'm impress I didn't know the wii U could render such realistic graphix

You never seen Zombi U and some of its particulary stunning scenes?

Paronama picture of ZombiU;

From NeoGAF user Timu...

Ive always thought that what they did with this games lighting, color palette and filters was an amzing job. I was surprised when the world agreed on that it was a shitty looking game.

Even if technically the game was average, which is OK for a launch title on a new HW in 2012. the ambience of 99% of locales was REALLY good, i mean as it can be noticed in the pics, the game looks extremely real whitout really putting much other than master level color palette

Around the Network

Seems like a cool puzzle game. I never played it on the other platforms, so I might give this a shot on Wii U.

eyeofcore said:
chapset said:
I'll pick the ps4 version at 4K resolution and 1k fps and will play it on my 27 inch crt tv, also I'm impress I didn't know the wii U could render such realistic graphix

You never seen Zombi U and some of its particulary stunning scenes?

Paronama picture of ZombiU;

From NeoGAF user Timu...

True zombie U is very impressive, if this was 2006 but this game is even more impressive for a 2014 game. I hope it's not exclusive to the wii U, the PS4 is really lacking games

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Gilgamesh said:

I didn't think the human eye could process 240 fps? is this a marketing thing?

As was already said, this is not frames per second. It's 240hz for physics.

However yeah the human eye can process 240fps. Diminishing returns are at play but there isn't a cut off like with resolution.

chapset said:

True zombie U is very impressive, if this was 2006 but this game is even more impressive for a 2014 game. I hope it's not exclusive to the wii U, the PS4 is really lacking games

Thanks for more ZombiU screenshots... Anyway... ZombieU is impressive for a launch game on a console using hardware that game developers never had a chance to experience on console level and optimize it for it, also consider that ZombiU wasn't the game we know it now when its development started as it was a rabbids game for Wii then an Xbox 360 game involving alien creatures and in the end it turned into a Wii U exclusive involving Zombies .Its budget is lower than regular triple A games...

ZombiU won't come to PlayStation 4... Like Red Steel 1 and 2 didn't come to PlayStation 3...

Around the Network

I wasn't overly impressed with ZombiU myself. To me, the most noteworthy visuals on the system so far are:

Trine 2 Director's Cut

and Mario 3D World

If you compare Art of Balance to them, I'd say we're looking at one of the best looking Wii U games to date:

AZWification said:

And some  people say the Wii U  is  not a current gen machine......Please, the 360 would overheat and then explode  if  it would try to run this game.

You are truly a moron if you actually believe this.

Actually, you're a moron simply for saying it.

Moderated - Kresnik.

dsp333 said:
AZWification said:

And some  people say the Wii U  is  not a current gen machine......Please, the 360 would overheat and then explode  if  it would try to run this game.

You are trully a moron if you actually believe this.

Actually, you're a moron simply for saying it.

It's not hard to make a Wii U game the 360 can't handle; just use more than 512MB of RAM. Shin'en have talked at length about how Wii U's larger RAM allows for superior textures, and how both this game and Fast Racing Neo will use 4k-8k textures.

Out of curiosity does anyone have any clue on the standard refresh rate for physics engines in most games? I've no idea if 240 is exceptional though I have to imagine it's on the high end since the developers thought to mention it and this is a pretty simple game that's hugely dependent on physics.

Torillian said:
Out of curiosity does anyone have any clue on the standard refresh rate for physics engines in most games? I've no idea if 240 is exceptional though I have to imagine it's on the high end since the developers thought to mention it and this is a pretty simple game that's hugely dependent on physics.

Most modern physx enabled cards can handle 20 billion instructions per second, which for a game like this would be solely applied to water physics and object physics rather than extensive game wide physics, as such 20 billion instructions on a modern pc gpu would equate on a game such as this to around 700fps precision, dropping to 300-400 on other types of games, dropping further still down to fixed frame (one calculation per video refresh) on open world sandbox games employing a physics model.

To put it bluntly, 240fps resolution on physics modeling for a game like this isn't really a huge deal, i suspect its only being calculated and trumpeted for marketing purposes due to the kerfuffle of framerates and resolutions currently rife in the industry media at current, underlined by their focus on advertising the texture resolution and native video resolution too.

Frankly, if they dropped the physics precision down to 60fps and locked video to 60fps you would see very little difference because you're still getting a calculation per each of the frames that calculation have an effect anyway. Extremely high calculation resolution is only really needed for high volume solid collision calculation where you are dealing with a vast number of objects and need to have room to emplament anomaly detection (basically, to prevent glitches in physics).

In games with low physics precision and no anomaly detection you get situations where an object moves between two fixed points repeatedly every other frame because its at rest position is stick between two frames of calculation and without the detection this remains unresolved.

Tumble for PlayStation 3 used more or less the same physics resolution as Art of Balance will use for WiiU, for the record, and Super Rub'a'dub, used over 400fps on it's water physics.